16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Worst Shot
Griffon
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:10 am  Reply with quote

I've seen a lot of threads of waving the favorite magic wand at game with wonderful results, now fess up what was your worst shot? Had a pointed Grouse 30 yards out come right at me doing about 30mph, when I pulled the trigger the bird was in the next county.

Keith Hayes
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:28 am  Reply with quote

Had just come off killing 5 quail on a single covey rise with 4 shots (and yes I reloaded the shotgun for the fourth shot to kill a late riser) only to miss three straight shots on a very large covey in a wide open field. Friend had been seeing this covey for several weeks and knew almost exactly where it was. His GSP moved up and pointed it beautifully. We moved in and could actually see the 20+ bird covey underneath the briars. Had close to 10 seconds to prepare and then missed cleanly 3 straight shots. BOTH OF US. Still to this day my absolute worst performance.

fn16ga
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:49 am  Reply with quote

Way too many to mention. Like the snipe that I almost stepped on and flew straight away and I missed him 3 TIMES !!!
df
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:17 am  Reply with quote

There are many, but the on comes to mind, a rooster flushes at my feet. I missed him four times going straight away. All shots were under 40 yards.
And about six friends wittnessed it.
jschultz
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:13 am  Reply with quote

My Brittany Emily was about 6 months old and I took her to AZ for a Mearns quail hunt. We booked a guide and he ran Britts, all of which new what they were doing. After lunch one of the guides told me to turn my pup loose and it wasn’t long before one of his dogs was on point in a little depression about 20 – 25 feet wide.
Emily saw the dog and made a flying leap into the middle of the covey, the birds flushed and she snapped her head around and looked at me. She was very proud of herself.
Later Emily went on point and I walked up and flushed a single bird. Unfortunately, I missed her first point on Mearns quail.
We redeemed ourselves for the next two days and had a great time. I believe that it was that trip that Emily realized her purpose in life.
She ran hunting tests and field trials and always won.
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:32 am  Reply with quote

Back when my golden retriever was eight months old I had her out for an afternoon pheasant hunt and she managed to put up a rooster that was flying straight away and I missed him with both barrels!
We watched where he went and when she found him again I managed to make a good quartering away shot and she made a good first retrieve.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
Gil S
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:35 am  Reply with quote

Watched a turkey for over 3 hours and when he finally came, I missed the shot at 30 steps. I could read the brand of watch he was wearing.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:57 am  Reply with quote

My worst shot sent me directly to the Orvis Wingshooting School. I occasionally like to run my dogs in field trials just for the experience and to see how they stack up against some of those dedicated trial dogs. I ran my 7 year old GSP, Bode in one of those highly competitive NUCS trials at the end of last year. Everyone who was competitive in that game was there scratching for dog of the year points and dogs came from all over the USA to compete. My run came up and Bode launched into the field, almost immediately finding the first of three birds. Flush, bang, retrieve, one bird in the vest. He then quickly found number two and the same results. Bird number three was pointed almost immediately and as I went in to flush, it launched in a left hand circling flight that I never caught up with, but pulled the trigger anyway for a clean miss. My left barrel dropped the bird and we finished in 3 minutes and 26 seconds which would have gotten us in second place out of 70+ dogs except for the 10 second penalty for the missed shot that dumped us into 11th place. We missed the call back for the second round by one second. I never felt worse in my life about missing a shot, but primarily felt like I'd let my dog down.

16'er
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:55 am  Reply with quote

I shoot at a dog training club, and using pen raised birds most of the shots are quite easy. So that makes me look good, most of the time. Almost all shots are bob white quail in the 25-40yd range.

I will tailor my shooting to the needs or desires of the handler. Often if I see a dog move when the bird goes up I'll have enough time to ask if they want the bird shot or not. Often I know the dog/handler and don't have to ask. With a new dog who busts a bird up, I just know not to shoot. Some guys coming out really want to take every bird home though. They only want a dog who hunts and are convinced that when they get their dog on wild birds it will miraculously staunch up. Any way, some guys just want all their birds in the vest at the end of the day.

Occasionally, a bird is missed, and lands in a tree at the field edge. Just sitting there on a branch, out of dogs reach. Maybe the other shooter missed, or I didn't have a good shot for safety reasons. Maybe the dog did his part and is still standing at spot of point, and the handler wants the bird shot. Maybe he just wants the bird, cause he paid for it.

So I line up and usually try to fringe the bird a bit to keep from tearing inside out. I'm not sure why, but hitting a flying quail is just instinctive, and its mighty embarrassing to miss a bird sitting dead still on a branch. I've done it several times, I'll admit. Guess I need to spend some more time at the pattern board. Embarassed For me any shot I have to think about too much usually doesn't turn out the way I wanted...

Last edited by 16'er on Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:03 am  Reply with quote

Last fall, straight away rooster at 20 yards.
RST forgot to put shot in 2 of their loads.
Go figure.

Matt
kgb
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:01 pm  Reply with quote

Non shot was a quail in Iowa my first dog pointed at the edge of a drainage. That bird was FAST and I never got my gun fully up let alone on it. A very cold day in Nebraska I got the gun up, missed with the first shot and my A5 Mag 20ga did not cycle. That pheasant was gone like a catapult had shot him out, I think I was too amazed at his speed.

Worst event was at a loafing ringneck in Iowa. I was in a broad low spot and saw his white ring just before he and a hen took off. Flew a 2/3 circle around me and I missed with all 4 shots from a Remington 11/87 Sporting gun that fit me really well. Don't think I got my face down on the stock at all. Copper plated 6s can be a great load for pheasants but produced just "holes in nature" for me on that one.

Shredder
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:55 pm  Reply with quote

There are so many-I had to think about this one for quite awhile...but I was able to recall one of my first out of state hunting trips to Iowa for pheasants.

My first Elhew English Pointer, Wyatt, was working a bird on a narrow strip of CRP. Unbeknownst to me, a few guys I was with and respected, were watching. He locked up tight, tail at twelve o clock and intensity that was nothing less than intimidating. I walked in and nothing. He worked the bird again this time locked up rock solid about 10 to 15 yard pointing to the end of the strip. I began to walk it in and a few steps in, a rooster cackled out. He angled left and I missed on the first, second and third shot out of my 11-87 automatic. Like Riflemester, but at a different level, I felt like I totally failed the dog.

I returned to the truck to be greeted by words I will never forget..."That point looked like it should have been on the cover of Gun Dog magazine!...Then, you missed."
JonP
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:46 pm  Reply with quote

Once shot at a lead duck and killed number 4 in the string...DUH!!!
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:05 pm  Reply with quote

Worst? I suppose any broken winged bird that required a second shot to finish him off that instead received further motivation to run faster!

Griffon
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:54 am  Reply with quote

For the Woodcock hunters; How about seeing the bird on the ground squatted down 3 feet off the end of your dogs nose? We call that one the kiss of death. We are headed from Maine to North Dakota in November so now that you've tutored me up I'm sure I'll never miss....Won't be able to use the old excuse the trees were in the way.