16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  16 Ga. magtech brass hull and 12 ga. Win gas seal
longwalker
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:51 am  Reply with quote

i have discovered that the 16 ga mag tech brass shells have an internal diameter that is compatible with 12 ga. Win AA type wads. i have a couple thousand old Winchester gas seals that predate the AA wads and are the same diameter and construction. I have been curious for some time about developing loads for the Magtech 16 ga shell and 12 ga gas seal and 16 ga. fiber wads and large pistol primers and 1 oz lead loads, but alas, I have no source of data to extrapolate from. Reloading esoterica at it's best.

any suggestions or tips?

skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:13 pm  Reply with quote

YES
Load some, send them to Tom and have them tested, then report back

Mike

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=448731

goathoof
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:56 am  Reply with quote

There are a few loads that have been pressure tested using SR4756 that jschultz created, and also trail boss that Tom Armbrust recommended. They were used with the RMC brass hulls. I have experimented a fair amount using the the Magtech hulls, but I have not done any pressure testing. I take 16 gauge data and use it in the 14 gauge internal dimensions of the Magtech hull. It does not always work because of the lower pressure and the velocity can suffer. I have tried 12 gauge plastic wads also, but I never could get good results. Byrdog has used the plastic in magtechs and may have some viable loads. Two loads I use other than the SR4756 and trail boss are: Red Dot 17.0 gr and 7/8 oz lead; and Green Dot 18.2 gr and 3/4 oz lead. These are NOT Pressure tested. My chronograph results of these two loads are 1150 - 1200 fps. Since these loads are with the fiber wads and nitro cards, you may find different results using the plastic seal and fiber wads. You may want to start with nitro cards and fiber wads, and see your results before mixing in the plastic seal. Please keep us posted on your load development.
jschultz
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:19 am  Reply with quote

Goathoof, I'm just a relaoder and have not created any loads with SR4756 or any powder.

All of the brass hull loads that I have written about on this forum came from Tom Armbrust and specify 209 primers.
goathoof
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:25 am  Reply with quote

Jschultz - I apologize for my mistake. I knew Armbrust tested the SR4756 loads and I now realize I wrongly assumed you were behind the effort.