16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  P/W Customer Svc. & 16 Ga. growth
JPM98VMI
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:34 am  Reply with quote

Picked up a 375 w/ a collection of 16 and 12 gauge tooling on flea-bay for about 60 cents on the dollar. Working with P/W customer service to sort through what sizing die goes with which final crimp, etc. etc. Good to know that quality customer service is alive and well in their organization.

Regarding the 16ga. .....
In my telephone conversation I shared that I have a proclivity for the less popular and my focus was to get the 16 ga. tooling sorted out now with little concern for the 12. With out further prodding or questioning, my contact (failed to write down her name) indicated they have seen an uptick in 16ga. interest and sales.

I'll take that as good news.

1947 Browning Automatic-5 (stealth Sweet 16) - ventilated Poly-Choke
1937-42 Savage 430
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:10 am  Reply with quote

Thanks, I have two 375s and they serve my well
Mike

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:36 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Nice to see the up tick in interest in the 16 gauge, most Grouse and Woodcock hunters own at least 1 and as they grow older end up with a small collection of them, in several different chamber sizes.

I also had a 357 and it serve me quite well also, sold it years ago.

Pine Creek/Dave

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:32 pm; edited 3 times in total

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
dogon
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:01 am  Reply with quote

PW's customer is excellent.

I bought a Parker 10ga last year with the typical 2 7/8" chambers of that era. I called PW & they made a set of dies for my 375 loader in less than a week. The dies work great & the people I dealt with at PW were awesome to work with!!
byrdog
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:14 am  Reply with quote

90% of the loaders on e-bay do not have dies for tapered crimping. I hope that your new set up has been changed to the newer style of crimp dies. with some fine tuning they will give you beautiful ammo

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
JPM98VMI
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:51 am  Reply with quote

byrdog wrote:
90% of the loaders on e-bay do not have dies for tapered crimping. I hope that your new set up has been changed to the newer style of crimp dies. with some fine tuning they will give you beautiful ammo

That, right there, is the jigsaw puzzle we (p/w and I) are working to figure out with the 16 gauge tooling. Reasonably certain I have the old and the new. We're getting close... just need to wait on the P/W expert to return from a salmon fishing expedition.

After that.... and no time soon.... we'll work out the same questions with 12 gauge as well as figure out the 2 1/2, 2 3/4, and 3 inch that was all mixed up together in the box-o-stuff. In the mean time, the Pacific press will suffice for my 12 if I take a notion to press out any of them.

The inventory of RGLs, WWAA wads, and lonshot await the inaugural run.

cheers,
jpm

1937-42 Savage 430
RangerG
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:33 pm  Reply with quote

I'm still setting up a used PW 375 I just picked up. I ordered a set of 16 gauge dies that came in last week. Tomorrow I buy some bolts, mount the press and start loading!
Will look for a used set of 12 gauge dies so I can sell my old Pacific loader.
IDcut
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:10 am  Reply with quote

I bought an older complete used P/W 375 for $50.00 last summer from a friend, set up for 12 ga. When I get some time, I'll drive the 9 miles to the P/W shop in Rathdrum and have them update the machine and install 16 ga dies along with setting it up for loading 2.5" 16 ga shells.
16'er
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:13 am  Reply with quote

Must be something in the water... Last week my PW375 came in too. It's set up for 20ga, and I'll eventually get a set of 16ga dies for it too. I doubt the 20ga set up is for the taper. I'll only be loading for one break open gun, so I don't see that as much of an issue, we'll see.

They do seem to be well made machines. As soon as I can get some 20ga wads, hopefully this weekend?, I'll take her for a spin..
3crosses
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:01 am  Reply with quote

I have 2 PW 375Cs. Both of them have 2 die sets. I load 16 and 28 on one machine and 20 .410 on the other. Well actually I only load 16 and .410. I have 2 hornady 366s set up for 20 and 28. The only problem I have had is loading 3/4 oz . 16 gauge loads (DR16) in the 375. Sometimes the crimp is dished too much. Only happens when I have to really resize a hull. No problem really if I don't try and reload hulls fired in other guns. And that only if I don;t run them through a super sizer first.

And yes I have polished the die in the 375. There are just some guns out there with over sized chambers. Damn I wish the hulls were still brass!
old colonel
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:24 pm  Reply with quote

If you hurry up and buy RMC (Rocky Mountain Cartridge) brass you can get hulls that are brass before they shutdown in January

JPM98VMI
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:37 pm  Reply with quote

old colonel wrote:
If you hurry up and buy RMC (Rocky Mountain Cartridge) brass you can get hulls that are brass before they shutdown in January

Or just buy the business.... tragically that's not in budget this year.

1937-42 Savage 430