16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  English 16's - how to judge value, quality and price??
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:35 am  Reply with quote

CMan: I picked up this gun at the Classic Arms Show early this year. I didn't know much about English SXS's but it looked like it just came off the makers bench. Turns out it was manufactured in 1882! A board member here suggested I call William Powell & Son to get some more information. I did and was immediately put through to Peter Powell! He put me on hold and pulled up the company records and confirmed everything. They got the gun back in 1940 and re-barreled it and resold it. He also sent me copies of the company ledgers from 1882 and when it re-sold in 1940. It originally sold for 30 pounds and resold in 1940 for 14 pounds! I didn't get quite the same deal. It was refurbished post 1990 by Thomas Bland & Sons. It was rechambered and re-proofed (3 tons) at that time.

Thomas Bland & Sons opened a sister company in Pennsylvania called Woodcock Hill. http://www.woodcockhill.com/ and they import English guns after their London firm inspects/refurbishes them. I've been very happy with this gun.

Matt
Chukarman
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:29 am  Reply with quote

CitoriFeather16 wrote:
CMan:... Thomas Bland & Sons opened a sister company in Pennsylvania called Woodcock Hill. http://www.woodcockhill.com/ and they import English guns after their London firm inspects/refurbishes them. I've been very happy with this gun.

Matt

Matt: Powells are very nice guns and it sounds like you had typical English customer service from them.

I visited Glenn Baker at Woodcock Hill years ago. He was a dealer prior to the relationship with Thomas Bland. Nooce guy, with some nice guns at that time.

CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:50 pm  Reply with quote

Mike, youre right about the English customer service! Powell charged me nothing to send copies of their records from 66 and 124 years ago. Woodcock Hill charged me $35.00 to send me a 3 paragraph letter of their history of the gun! Shocked

Ain't capitalism great Very Happy

Matt
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:46 pm  Reply with quote

Received my copy today. Great Book! Thanks for the heads up on the book and the source!

16gg: I'm practicing my shooting stance with my Brit gun in my breeks, on my toes, with my pinkie finger out! Very Happy

Matt