16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Fausti 16g SxS from Cabelas, vs RBL-16
h1tdk00
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:20 pm  Reply with quote

Well, I just went to Cabelas tonight to look at the Fausti Dea 16ga. and ended up trading in my RBL 16 ga. for it.

Even though I believe the RBL is a better made gun, I decided to go ahead and make the trade because I liked the design of the Dea better.

1. The Dea just fit me better ( more drop in the stock )
2. The Dea was noticeably lighter and trimmer.
3. I liked the raised rib on the Dea better than the sunken rib on my RBL.
4. The Dea had a thinner wrist, which is more comfortable to me.

I know my reasons are subjective, but I just liked the Dea better.

Now the big question for me is will it shoot as well as the RBL. I'll check the chokes and barrel regulation first chance I get and report back.
slemley
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:39 pm  Reply with quote

gun fit makes a gun shootable. I don't think anyone will argue that point.

Dr. David Dabaco
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:25 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
gun fit makes a gun shootable. I don't think anyone will argue that point.

Agree 100%.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:55 pm  Reply with quote

Gun fit is so subjective isn't it? I was at the Lacey Cabela's the other day and shouldered a very nice field grade Elsie 16. The dimensions were perfect, and it lined up wonderfully, but I couldn't get past the high raised rib with the pronounced hump at the top of the receiver. That works fine on a bps or other modern gun I suppose, but it just seemed odd to me on a sxs. I think that's why I like Lefevers so much: they have a flat rib, modern dimensions, and a flat sighting plane. I love that. Others may not. So be it.

Variety is indeed the spice of life. That was a gutsy call getting the DEA, but having seen one in person, I probably would have done the same thing. They are very impressive. There is a round body Fausti at Cabela's that's to die for. That said, perhaps Tony will refine the RBL to make it a bit more competitive: thinner wrist, no gold triggers, lighter weight, etc. We'll see.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
h1tdk00
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:44 am  Reply with quote

My mistake, I did get the Fausti Dea round action, not the SL, but I think other than the shape of the action and the sideplates, the gun is the same.
h1tdk00
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:43 am  Reply with quote

Picked up my Dea round body last night and took it out to the pattern board this morning.

After really checking out the Dea, I think RBL is a better value. The fit of the wood to metal on my RBL was noticeably better than it is on this Fausti. I noticed a few spots on the Fausti with slight gaps where the stock heads up to the receiver. Also, the metal to metal seams are more noticeable on the Faust. My RBL had standard grade wood, but it was still nicer than the Fausti wood. The triggers on my Dea are a couple pounds heavier than the RBL, breaking at 6lbs. I also noticed the Fausti is much harder to close when the ejectors have to be cocked. Hopefully that will loosen up a little with use.

That said, I still like the Dea better, mostly because it just fits me better, with a little cast off and a little more drop in the stock, but also because it is much lighter (5lb. 15oz.) and noticeably trimmer. It feels and handles more like a 20 ga. and the RBL feels and handles more like a 12 ga.

Barrel regulation is pretty good on my gun. The right barrel shoots dead on point of aim, while the left barrel shoots about 2" right of poa at 25 yards.

The chokes were listed as IC/M but mine shoots modified and full patterns. This I was happy to see because I really wanted IC/Full chokes, so I can just have the right barrels choke opened up a liitle.
sneem
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:52 pm  Reply with quote

h1tdk00 wrote:
Picked up my Dea round body last night and took it out to the pattern board this morning.

After really checking out the Dea, I think RBL is a better value. The fit of the wood to metal on my RBL was noticeably better than it is on this Fausti. I noticed a few spots on the Fausti with slight gaps where the stock heads up to the receiver. Also, the metal to metal seams are more noticeable on the Faust. My RBL had standard grade wood, but it was still nicer than the Fausti wood. The triggers on my Dea are a couple pounds heavier than the RBL, breaking at 6lbs. I also noticed the Fausti is much harder to close when the ejectors have to be cocked. Hopefully that will loosen up a little with use.

That said, I still like the Dea better, mostly because it just fits me better, with a little cast off and a little more drop in the stock, but also because it is much lighter (5lb. 15oz.) and noticeably trimmer. It feels and handles more like a 20 ga. and the RBL feels and handles more like a 12 ga.

Barrel regulation is pretty good on my gun. The right barrel shoots dead on point of aim, while the left barrel shoots about 2" right of poa at 25 yards.

The chokes were listed as IC/M but mine shoots modified and full patterns. This I was happy to see because I really wanted IC/Full chokes, so I can just have the right barrels choke opened up a liitle.

Do some testing with other ammo. Or if you reload, get some different loads made up. I had a 12 ga SXS with fixed chokes and I could get just about any combination out of it from skeet to extra full just by changing shells. Test a few before sending it off to the gunsmith.

airmedic1
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:46 pm  Reply with quote

This post is years old, but is h1tdk00 still active on this board and do you still have your Fausti round body?

canvasback
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:37 pm  Reply with quote

airmedic1 wrote:
This post is years old, but is h1tdk00 still active on this board and do you still have your Fausti round body?

He's made 4 posts in 2017 but the last was in June. And he only has a total of 7 posts since 2010, so he's not here often. But if you send him a PM, he may get an email notice from the 16 gauge site, telling him to check his messages.

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
studdog
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:25 pm  Reply with quote

Connecticut Arms products are junk and their customer service sucks. Just my opinion and I could b wrong.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:44 pm  Reply with quote

For an SxS in that price range? One word says it all--Merkel. Just my opinion.
last dollar
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:53 pm  Reply with quote

yup
Roadkill
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:51 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
For an SxS in that price range? One word says it all--Merkel. Just my opinion.

I don't always agree with 16gg, but on this I concur 100%! Hard to top a Merkel in their price range.