16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  2017 Kansas Opener
ole_270
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:51 pm  Reply with quote

Fairly slow, it's never as good as the state forecast, oh well, haven't missed an opener in a couple decades.
Saturday, our group of 5 along with my 5th grade Grandson and his buddy ended up with 9 pheasants and 4 quail hunting from as soon as it was light enough to see color to dark. It's not for advertisement, but the two boys outshot Grandpa.
Sunday, my Son and I were the only ones going and we put in 4 hours in the morning and headed for home. Got 2 roosters and Scott got 3 quail, Grandpa went 2 for 2 on the roosters even if the boys don't believe it.
My Son and I with our 16s, mine a Dickinson SxS, his a late 40's Ithica 37.

Scott's 7 year old German Shorthair, Katy, did a good job both days and showed the new 7 month old pup how it's done. This morning, Sunday, the pup was really catching on, holding steady on a covey of quail and a couple singles. He also retrieved everything he could beat the older dogs to all weekend.
df
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:16 pm  Reply with quote

It was pretty slow in West central Ks where I hunted
We were a party of eight that knocked down six roosters. We missed a couple and had half dozen flush out of range. Weather was cool and misty. We only hunted three hours as that’s all the land we had to hunt.
Of those six we knocked down I got a couple with my 16 ga Citori.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:18 pm  Reply with quote

old 270,
Fantastic family hunt, I believe the 2 for 2, but credit the dogs!

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
ole_270
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:28 pm  Reply with quote

It just so happens that neither of the roosters were pointed, but got up away from where the dogs were at the moment.
We were hunting all walk in ground, no private. Only the first field of the day hadn't already had a party work it. Most of the day you were just trading fields, as one group loaded up and left, another took their place.
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:28 pm  Reply with quote

old 270,
Thank you
Great report and wonderful pictures
Mike

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:59 pm  Reply with quote

Open that action! Both actions are closed in a situation in which the guns should be in a safe "inactive" condition -- a photo op. I'm tired of seeing photos, videos and TV hunting programs with unsafe gun manners, even marginally unsafe ones. We on this gun site often overlook such stuff, but what do outsiders know? -- we should be setting better examples. Models in the advertisements in major sporting magazines, who are evidently not gun-familiar people, often show images of unsafe or discourteous gun handling -- shame on the companies who employ them. In the case of this photo, the fellows no doubt are gun-familiar, and should know better.

My pet peeve for handling in proximity of others in a non-firing-ready situation (as in this photo, or at the gun club, or near the vehicle when preparing to hunt, etc) is the over-the-shoulder hold of a repeater, with the barrels pointing mostly horizontal (head level) toward the rear. Worse yet is the break-action gun held with the barrels pointing back over the shoulder, buttstock in front. What happened to "muzzle up and down-range", or "muzzle down, and close to the carrying person"? -- especially in the case of repeaters. With break-action guns it is either "action broken with barrels down in front of carrier" (e.g. crook-of-the-arm carry), or "action broken with barrel down and against chest of carrier, with buttstock protruding over the shoulder" (proper over-the-shoulder carry). Action Broken, Broken, Broken! Barrels Down, Down, Down, -- Unless you are ready to shoot, or carrying with muzzle in a safe direction while hunting -- which can be up or down, but always away from people, dogs or other valuable stuff which should be considered by the gun-handler, in the event he might turn or fall.

Sorry, I know I'm mostly preaching to the choir on this site, but I had to let 'er rip, so to speak.

Congrats on the good hunting results, and thanks for sharing the photos, though.

Cheers!
Tony
ole_270
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:23 pm  Reply with quote

The guns were absolutely empty, we had been drying them out and oiling them before putting them away. Neither is pointed in an unsafe direction, we were the only ones around.
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:05 pm  Reply with quote

ole 270,
Looks and sounds like a great weekend to me. Time spent afield with your family and good dogs is priceless. I'm jealous.

Appears you and your son have been shopping off the same rack!

Maximum,
Give it a rest. Posting a rant like that on a nice post like this is just bad manners. Start another post if you want to get preachy.

Marcus

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
bbrown
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:51 am  Reply with quote

Similar experience here. Dad and I went out both days and had some fun. Rooster numbers were about the same from last year, but we got into quail on every field we hunted. Hunting without dogs we bagged 3 roosters and 8 quail for the weekend. Definitely could have had 3-4 more roosters if I could have shot straight. Shocked

I used my 1948 16ga Mod 12. Dad was using a 1955 Winchester Model 50 with a factory IC barrel I picked up a few years back. It was fun to be out and about with a pair of vintage Winchesters! I also was using old compression formed Pheasant loads that really dropped them when I did my part.

-Ben

1 Tim 1:15
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:45 am  Reply with quote

bbrown,
Good hunt with your Dad and the dogs, how about some pictures of the hunt? Like to see the shotguns for sure.

Also welcome to the 16 Forum.

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
bbrown
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:26 pm  Reply with quote

I didn’t take any pictures of the hunt or guns. I will see if I can scrounge some up of the guns. We also didn’t have dogs, just the two attached to our legs. Very Happy

It is great to hear of other hunters doing well in KS, this great state that I love. Glad you had a great hunt ole-270!

-Ben

1 Tim 1:15
tramroad28
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

Scatterguns are just fine, birds are swell, dogs are best.....looking forward to KS.
ole_270
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:37 pm  Reply with quote

tramroad28 wrote:
Scatterguns are just fine, birds are swell, dogs are best.....looking forward to KS.

Just some pictures of the dogs. 7 month old Milo getting on the job training from the Grand Ol Lady Katy. Held that point long enough for several pictures, of course it turned out to be a hen.

Double point on some scattered quail singles

Doin it on his own

What he lives for, this pup is a retrieving fool. Water or land, if you get the retrieving dummy out he goes crazy.

This pup is going to be alot of fun in the next few years, hope the birds don't tank.
ole_270
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:52 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="Upland Carpenter"]ole 270,
Looks and sounds like a great weekend to me. Time spent afield with your family and good dogs is priceless. I'm jealous.

Appears you and your son have been shopping off the same rack!/quote]

Just noticed the comment about the clothes. He found a deal on the jackets and I bought the bird vests for Christmas one year. Been a bunch of pheasants taken with that combo the last several years.
tramroad28
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:03 pm  Reply with quote

“Let it be a rooster”....would be a great bumper sticker!