16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Happy Birthday
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:31 am  Reply with quote

Stilwell Hall was an immense, 52,000-square-foot building that stood on a precipice at the edge of the Pacific on the west side of U.S. Highway 1, just across from the former Fort Ord military installation.

The building was constructed between November 1940 and September 1943 under the initiative of General Joseph W. Stilwell. It served as a recreational facility for military members for just over fifty years before Fort Ord was closed in 1994.

Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:17 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
Stilwell Hall was an immense, 52,000-square-foot building that stood on a precipice at the edge of the Pacific on the west side of U.S. Highway 1, just across from the former Fort Ord military installation.

The building was constructed between November 1940 and September 1943 under the initiative of General Joseph W. Stilwell. It served as a recreational facility for military members for just over fifty years before Fort Ord was closed in 1994.

Hell yes I remember that place! It was called "The Million Dollar Soldiers' Club" when I was there. The Army would bus in women from town to dance with us animals! hee hee!

You could go out on the veranda and spit in the Pacific Ocean!

I never heard it called Stillwell hall though. That place and the movie theater were our only sources of recreation on Ft. Ord those days.

Thank you for the memories! Wink

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:03 pm  Reply with quote

Stack16, thanks for jogging my memory. Were you stationed there in the early 1960's?
Other things you might remember about Ft. Ord: Cadillac taxi cabs, and DI's screaming at you constantly: "Keep off the ice plants"!

It was a beautiful place, wish I could have seen it when I wasn't being screamed at day and night! Wink

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
Stack16
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:59 pm  Reply with quote

Dale, I was stationed there for AIT in late 70, Basic in(hot hot hot) Fort Lost in The Woods, July 14th 1970 then to Fort Ord for A.I.T. A couple Wks. leave then Swamp East Asia for my yr. then on to Fort Carson where like you I processed out as they were just starting giving 6 months early out.
Stilwell hall was a regular off duty place, lots of suds, helping those that had a little to much get back to the barracks. Don't remember the taxis, but one little D. I. Sgt. Ballonis (misspelled) that smoked Paul Mauls and could run all day while calling cadence. The sand that got on our boots soles was lite in the mornings and o' so heavy by days end.
We did a few other things, Monterey Wharf, San. Fran. across the Golden Gate Bridge. My memory is a little fuzzy on some things after chemo.
Sounds like I might have some fun while there, something to do.
I' m tired of typing with one finger. Later

Griff