16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Please explain the federal paper base wad
jig
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:50 pm  Reply with quote

as a new reloader, I have read that many folks don't like the paper base wad of the federal hull. I have a whole bunch of federal ammo I got on special and hoped to reload the hulls. What is it about the paper base wad that's not good? Is it a safety issue? Please explain.
brdhnt
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:16 pm  Reply with quote

jig,

Paper base wads are made out of rolled and compressed paper and either pressure fit or glued in the shell (sometimes both). When paper shells were the only ones available, ALL shells had paper base wads. Lower velocity field loads had a high base wad while 'high velocity' loads had a lower base wad to accomodate more powder and heavier shot loads. There is a confusion still over high brass vs. high base and low brass vs. low base. The terms are constantly interchanged although they do not mean the same thing.

The problem with paper base wads is several fold. First, the primer/powder burning will cristalize the paper somewhat. This can make it brittle which can cause portions or all of the base wad to exit the barrel with the shot charge if the case has been reloaded. At the least, this will cause inconsistent velocities/ patterns, at the worst, it could result in a base wad being stuck in the barrel.

A base wad that has come loose from the shell (either paper or plastic) vrates the same problems and may become stuck in the barrel. A definite safety issue.

The other problem with paper base wads is moisture. Even humidity if the empties are stored in a humid garage can effect the paper and cause the moisture to migrate to the powder/primer when the case is reloaded. This causes dud shells or some spectacular 'bloopers'. I've literally tilted the barrels down and poured the shot out of the barrel, then had to remove the stuck wad.

Many people like the Federal case for the large volume of powder/shot it contains. I reload them once and then toss them and if I have the slightest suspicion that they have attracted moisture, I just toss them. Back in my reload every case I ever fired days, I reloaded over 500 Federal 20 and 28 gauge hulls that a friend had given me. The cases had gotten wet and I think I got about 4 actual shots out of the first box in each gauge. The rest were bloopers or duds. Cutting apart 400 some cases to salvage the components and then having to throw away the powder because I didn't know which had or hadn't been compromised by moisture. Now the only Federal cases I load are ones I know haven't been wet and have been stored in a low humidity enviornment.

My experiences.

TMB
________
Jailbroken

Last edited by brdhnt on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:39 am; edited 1 time in total
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:52 pm  Reply with quote

Pretty much sums it up----
sprocket
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:37 pm  Reply with quote

thank you for the explination
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:17 pm  Reply with quote

Well explained BH. Thanks.
jim18611865
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:43 am  Reply with quote

One more negative thing is on my 8567 grabber, small pieces of the paper basewad frequently come out during reloading. A piece will sooner or later jam up my collet resizer. Taking those apart sucks. I no longer load any shells that are not all plastic.
mdoerner
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

An advantage to the paper basewad is if you are reloading low pressure shot shells, the paper basewad compresses more so during ignition than a plastic basewad. This can drop the pressure for a particular load significantly.....fwiw.

Mike Doerner