16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  16 gauge Valmet
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:18 pm  Reply with quote

I just received a 16 gauge I bought over the internet. It seems to be one neat shotgun. It is very European looking w/ a cheekpiece, swivel studs, and no rib (which I think looks very cool). The gun weighs a tad over 6 pounds, shows very little bluing wear, and is as tight as the skin on Earl Scruggs' banjo. The quality of the workmanship is exraordinary. The LOP is 13 3/8's (now I don't have to cut it) and the barrel length is just under 27" (probably metric).
The down side is that it is choked Mod and Full. I will try it w/ some scatter loads and see how it patterns. Will make a great late season dove gun.
Aloso, the wood is rather plain and straight grained and the finish is not that great. Beibg so "European," it makes a great companion to my 16 ga. Belgium guild side by side.
It is always fun reading about new guns you guys acquire. Thought you might like reading this.
XVI

XVIgauge
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:21 pm  Reply with quote

Forgot to mention, the above gun is an Over/Under Valmet, made in Finland.
XVI

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:58 pm  Reply with quote

The Valmets are well made and are basically a Model 32 Remington O/U knock off. They lock up the same way. I also believe you can get a number of different barrels for them. The barrel sets can be shotgun, shotgun\rifle and double rifle in a whole slew of different gauges and calibers. I had one years back in 12/ .223 (5.56 Nato). I used it for a turkey gun in Va. and Florida where its legal to hunt turkeys with a rifle as well as a shotgun. Made a fine one too. It was also accurate enough to send quite a few whistle pigs to chuck heaven. Good luck with it.
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:54 pm  Reply with quote

A buddy of mine has a Valmet 30-06 o/u. He thought about getting extra barrels for it but gave up on the idea when he found out the barrels cost about as much as the gun! I beleive they are of good quaility and you should be happy with it.
Kivaari
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:18 pm  Reply with quote

I've a Lion O/U that fires both barrels...ouch Shocked ...so I reckon' the inertia selection is not working and/or tumbler, sear engagement on one barrel is very bad..

So does anyone know where parts might be obtained?

Desperate,

sks trigger master...www.kivaari.com
over 3,000 trigger tunes one at a time
NRA Endowment Member
Life Member Texas State Rifle Assoc
My best friend: tri-color Fr Brittany
driggy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:18 pm  Reply with quote

I don't know about the lion, but the 412s and Tikka 512s are mechanical triggers. It sounds like there is definately something wrong to get it to double all the time.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

The only Valmet I ever held looked like it had railroad ties for the stock/forearm. Evil or Very Mad
brdhnt
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:07 pm  Reply with quote

I have a Tikka 512S in 12 gauge with 26 and 30 inch barrels. I bought it at a close-out sale in 1997 for $850 with both sets of barrels. I have probably shot 50,000 + rounds through it with one broken ejector. It has a mechanical trigger and an automatic safety.

Valmet bought the patent rights from Remington for the 32 after Remington quit making them. Kreighoff then bought the patent rights to the action from Valmet.

Some of the Savage 33's and 330's were actually made by Valmet in Finland.

Tikka made the guns on the original Valmet equipment. Then the guns were made in Italy. They folded and as far as I know, no one else is producing these guns which is a shame, they are very good serviceable guns at a reasonable price.

Cape Outfitters out of Missouri used to carry some parts for these. Since they have been sold and 'reorganized', I don't know if they still carry any parts.

Since the same action will take rifle pressures, they are very stout guns but not excessively heavy. Mine weighs 7 pounds 4 ounces with the 26 inch barrels and 8 pounds 2 ounces with the 30 inch barrels.

XVIgauge, you've got a real keeper there. Enjoy it!

TMB
________
Essential vaaapp