16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Barrels for vintage fox
mnbobcat
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:10 am  Reply with quote

Thinking about getting a 16 ga fox...why not? Problem is I'd like to shoot it and would want improved / modified barrels. My thinking is I can look to find a gun with nice wood regardless of barrels and then get new custom barrels. Am I crazy? Is this doable without costing me $$$? What do I need to be aware of and how much do barrels cost?
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:36 am  Reply with quote

Why would you need to get new barrels to get the chokes you want? Plenty of guns out there that could be opened to that combo or would already be choked like that.

NOS barrels are available from Jason Barden at Pumpkin Mountain Gunshop if you want to go that route.
https://www.ahfoxparts.com

The cost to finish, fit and open the chokes to your specs will run several thousand dollars.

Marcus

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:43 am  Reply with quote

Your choke specs Smile

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/719032955

and another for fun
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/719191515

JNW
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:37 pm  Reply with quote

Buy a 16 gauge Fox in good shape. Get a set of barrels in the white and a forend iron from Pumpkin Mountain. Round up a nice stock blank, find an engraver who can do a high grade Fox pattern and send it all to a custom gunsmith. Shouldn’t take more than 2-4 years and $12,000 (give or take). Please post pics when done.
Or, buy a Sterlingworth and make it fit you.
Regards,
Jeff
gunsrus
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:19 pm  Reply with quote

When you buy a FOX , all that matters is the barrels . Most Fox have waaaay too much drop and stocks need to be replaced . Buy the gun , replace the wood .
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:52 am  Reply with quote

Lusting after a vintage A H Fox that had the right stock fit for me, I discovered that Savage made an A H Fox Special that was made with modern stock dimensions. I found a 16 ga Special on this website with 30" barrels choked .005" and .010" and a Kautsky singe trigger. More than likely someone had the chokes opened up sometime in the past, but it fits me very well and has proven to be a great dove and quail gun. There were not a lot of them made, and the receiver is slab sided instead of that sexy contouring on the Sterlingworth, but it's a real A H Fox and it fits.

mnbobcat
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:36 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the info boys...seems I had my thinking ass-backwards.
JNW
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:52 pm  Reply with quote

Your thinking was fine. Unless you’ve actually priced this stuff out and had work done you don’t know which options are more feasible, or at least relatively reasonable. There are certainly those who do things as you had planned. A lot depends on your disposable income, how many other shotguns you have and how long you are willing to wait for work to be done. If I had more disposable income I would have several guns being built/customized at all times. I’ve been fortunate to be able to cobble some work together and wind up with some nice guns. Check out the AH Fox site. You’ll find some outstanding custom work being done by people with a true passion.

http://foxcollectors.com/My%20Forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=7458

Regards,
Jeff
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:57 pm  Reply with quote

How about Briley choke tubes? It is something I have pondered for my Fox many times and vastly more affordable than a custom barrel set. Of course there is the other option: buy more than one gun!

I chose that option and now have the Fox, a Smith (project I need to finish!), and the feathery light Lefever. The combination still cost less than hand built barrels. Of course they are not high grades either, but that will change somewhat when time allows.

The most affordable option is to simply ream the chokes to what your heart desires.

67galaxie
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:17 am  Reply with quote

Keep searching! If not Mike Orlen can open them up for you