16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  First go around with 16 ga. Steel shot
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:33 pm  Reply with quote

Well my friends, this morning I finally got around to using the 16 ga. for something other than upland work. The morning went rather well considering the fact that only one flock of geese came into the decoys. It was a case of them deciding to go elsewhere for reasons unknown.

At any rate, two shots of #1 steel went down range and two little honkers bit pasture hard. A lone duck recieved the same dose from the left barrel of the Lefever. I also managed to call in a fox, he recieved both barrels since the first didn't quite finish the task at hand (application of posterior motivation on behalf of the first round).

This is all very reassuring since some places I will hunt in Kansas this week do indeed require steel for upland and there is a good build up of geese as well. Might as well be prepared.
[[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/52989_1024x683/] [/URL]][/img]

skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:40 pm  Reply with quote

Awesome post
What year on the shotgun?
What chokes?
What ammo?
Thank you
Mike

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:51 pm  Reply with quote

Have not looked up the manufacture date. Fluid steel barrels. I altered the barrels: long forcing cones and opened the right choke up to .006". The left barrel still measures .023", which as a combo fits my needs well.

Ammo consisted of 7/8 oz. recipe from BPI that called for buffer. I skipped the buffer since it adds 1,000- 2,500 psi depending on many variables and this load was listed at over 11,000 psi. I then backed the powder charge (Longshot) down by one grain. Still plenty potent. If I need more, well I have a 10 ga.

MatthewWyatt
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:04 pm  Reply with quote

Kudos to using the 16 gauge on Waterfowl. I have used the Longshot load you are referring to with the PT1680 wad for a couple seasons. I have taken many ducks and a few geese. Nice job!

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air,...
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:55 pm  Reply with quote

Awesome picture and post. Love it!
MatthewWyatt
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:54 am  Reply with quote

Kudos to using the 16 gauge on Waterfowl. I have used the Longshot load you are referring to with the PT1680 wad for a couple seasons. I have taken many ducks and a few geese. Nice job!

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air,...
df
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:08 am  Reply with quote

Mixed bag for sure.
Nice pic.
studdog
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:30 am  Reply with quote

Nice Report. Just curious, Why shoot the Fox?

John Singer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:30 am  Reply with quote

Nice performance with the 16 gauge and steel.

I too shoot a 16 gauge with steel for most of my waterfowl and upland game. I shoot a Stevens 5100 SxS and opened the barrels slightly.

One thing that I find surprising is that #1 steel performs very well on game through this gun. I use the BPI load with Steel powder at 1550 fps and do not use the buffer. (I have no idea why buffer would be used with steel shot.)

Anyway #1 steel is a very effective load and is really effective for shooting crippled birds on the water. I have never gotten #1 steel to perform well in my 12 gauge guns but in the 16 it is another story. I have no explanation for this.

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:13 am  Reply with quote

Buffer with Steel and Other Very Hard Shot -- The Way I've Heard It -- i.e. I can't represent this as "The Facts" since I didn't do the tests and haven't seen quantitative test data from others:

Shot made with steel or other very hard material, such as the tungsten alloys (not tung-matrix) has a very high coefficient of restitution. Coefficient of restitution is the amount of the kinetic energy stays with objects that collide instead of basically turning into heat lost to the surroundings. One might measure coefficient of restitution by dropping a ball from a certain height and seeing how high it bounces back. The ratio of those heights would be the coefficient of restitution. A ratio of `1 means no energy was lost -- that's like perpetual motion -- never happens, but we can get close. You've seen those little pendulum toys with the steel balls that go swinging and clicking away for several seconds or minutes. What I've read (and I can't tell you where right now) is that in shotgun shooting, patterning of very hard shot is degraded by chaotic "bouncing around" of the shot on travel down the barrel and out the muzzle. Buffer is said to dampen those vibrations and settle the shot down to keep it together better as it "flows".

In the case of shot of soft materials - lead, tung-matrix, bismuth, etc - that are more deformable and have lower coefficients of restitution (hysteretic/visco-elastic), buffer is said to improve patterns by keeping shot from deforming during the "setback" event on ignition/launch -- a very different mechanism from the way buffer is said to work with steel, etc.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:03 am  Reply with quote

studdog wrote:
Nice Report. Just curious, Why shoot the Fox?

In hopes of getting a good pelt. I hunt fur too. Unfortunately, mange along the belly had pretty much rendered the pelt of no value. At least it may prevent the spread of mange to other animals.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:13 am  Reply with quote

The verifiable reason behind buffering steel has long been that it helps prevent wad petal punctures and therefor alleviates some risk of barrel damage from direct contact. Unfortunately it also tends to increase choke strain due to the fact that pellets are not allowed to shift their positions around as easily.

I actually spray my steel with silicone spray when I transfer it from bags to storage bottles. This does 3 things. The pellets don't stick in the bottom of the wad. The shot experiences less bridging issues when going through the loader's drop tube. Finally, the pellets shift position (flow) easier when passing through the forcing cone and choke, thereby reducing strain and also the tendency of steel, as a material, to rebound due to energy transfers. It adds up to slightly better patterns, easier loading, and less wear and tear on my guns.

I specifically use silicone since I have never experienced problems with powder being dropped through the same tube. DO NOT USE OIL! That will cause much problem as oil will ruin the powder and I also imagine it would make a clogged mess in the drop tube.