16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Worst Shot
3crosses
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:01 am  Reply with quote

What pulls your head off the stock is not missing a hunting season after 3 shoulder operations. I couldn't shoulder my gun during or after those operations that year. I shouldn't have even tried hunting. All it did was develop bad habits. But, that was 5 years ago.
tramroad28
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:44 am  Reply with quote

“Being good with a double gun”, or any gun, is more related to the experience of knowing when to shoot and, especially, when not to shoot, imo.....than it is with any amount of shooting practice re angles, glide paths and bust away trajectories, be it in the woods or on a clay course.
Often, even “experienced” woodsmen would be better off...holding off....tapping a trigger.
“Experience” often sets a trigger’s tap in the proper place of events occurring during a day afield behind a birddog’s tail and, tale.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:08 am  Reply with quote

A few weeks ago. Briar pointed a rooster out in a wide open grassy field, I walked up and over a little hump, and as I was coming down, it flushed at about 10-15 yds, easy going away. Whiff. It happens. Laughing

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:57 pm  Reply with quote

When I was a corn nubbin is SW Wisconsin I was hunting behind my Springer on public ground . She put up 2 roosters at different times. I missed them both.

Then, she put up a third. I was raising the gun when I saw her come up out of the corn and swat down the rooster. Pen released bird I'm sure but she brought it back to me with the "here you go dummy " look.

That memory is burned in my mind.

Matt
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:25 pm  Reply with quote

CF16,
Ya got to love a great hunting dog!

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:34 pm  Reply with quote

Love em all! Shaughnessey was her name.

Matt
brewer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:12 pm  Reply with quote

The worst misses shot memory I have was in Kansas in 1979. The pheasant population then was huge compared to today. I was west of Dodge when I spied a pheasant cross the road and drop into rough cover. I pulled out my trusty 20ga Smith 1000, loaded up and went after him. When I reached the spot where I thought he landed, he burst out of the cover near my feet. He was curling slightly to my left, but looked for all the world to be a straight away. Needless to say, since this is a story about misses, I reeled off three sequential shots without raising a single feather. As soon as I had emptied my gun, pheasants began rising all around me, all easy shots, but I was out of bullets.
I have had similar instances since then, but this was my first.
I do remember shooting at a pair of Saskatchewan geese in 1986 which were flaring off to my left, in a similar curling fashion. I knew enough to lead to the left, by now. I pulled off in front of the lead goose, shot, and the second one fell dead. My buddy said "nice shooting". I simply replied "thank you".