16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Reloading for Poppers
mrosspa
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:45 pm  Reply with quote

I've got some winchester hulls. I'd like to make some "poppers" for dog training. I can find these in 12 G*#@!, but I don't think they make them for 16 guage.

Since I've got the hulls to make the blanks, and the shotgun to shoot with, I'd rather make 16 gauge poppers than buy a 12 G*#@!.

Has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks!

Michael
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:16 pm  Reply with quote

Hows come you can't fill the wad with cardboard and have at it???No matter what powder you run it will be dirty to due the low pressure Wink --Check that barrel for possible stuck wads Twisted Evil
offhand35
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:20 am  Reply with quote

To make 16ga blanks, I would use black powder, under a 1/2" fiber wad or 2, and roll crimped over an over shot card. You could stuff the shell with fiber wads, or cut the shells down to 2" or so.......
As to how much powder, use the shotgun 1/1 rule, an equal VOLUME of powder to shot, without the shot...... you could use an R16 shotcup for a measure.

A can of 1F black powder is a whole lot less than getting a gun you don't particularly want, and this could be a fun endeavor........

gspowner
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:38 pm  Reply with quote

Ballistic Products prints a sheet on making poppers. They used to give them away with an order, I think. Basically, it calls for 25gr of a fast powder, such as Green Dot, a plastic overpowder gas seal, a nitro card, the hull filled with felt wads and another nitro card, and a normal folded crimp. Pressures will be low.
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:00 am  Reply with quote

The above mentioned load recipie is for 12 ga poppers. For the 16 I would say cut it back to 20 grains of a fast burning powder then try it. You basically use a hot primer such as the Federal 209A or CCI 209M, a very fast burn rate powder such as Red Dot,Green Dot, 700X, etc. and either gas seals and filler wads to fill the rest of the hull up so you can get a decent crimp.
For 12 ga poppers I use 25-30 grains of Green Dot, 1 12 ga nitro card and three 12 ga 1/2" fillers then fold crimp. The thing I like about the nitro card and filler wads vs the plastic gas seals is the fact plastic dosen't biodegrade, paper cards and fiber wads do. Keeps the outdoors a bit cleaner.
aminga
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:41 am  Reply with quote

I've been running some experiments on the same thing and hers what I'm on to (it's not quite perfected)

B+P 2 5/8" Hull
Fed Primer
23 grains of 700X
The wad column is (from bottom up)

BP OB16
3 BP 1/2" hard card wads

Wads are seated at 50lbs wad pressure.
16'er
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:56 pm  Reply with quote

Re-opening this Old thread instead of starting a new one...

I have about 2/3lbs of TiteGroup powder left over from metallic loading. I was thinking it might be a good faster type powder for a popper load?? would be using a over-powder card and probably 3 fiber wads and finish with a roll crimp.

15 grains a good place to start? Just guestimating on this as a starting point?
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:56 pm  Reply with quote

Those sound like really expensive shells to construct... wad fillers are more expensive than the wads usually... All you need is something to press against your crimp hey?
Why not just put a nitro-card in above the powder, then a stack of corrugated cardboard type cutouts, or foam from meat trays? I've got some punches from Harbor Freight, as well as paper punches that make nice 1/2" discs and others that just fit inside a 12ga hull. Same thing, but why waste $$ on fiber wads and felt wads, these are where BPI makes it's profit I'd say.

Could also use rice to fill up shell.
1stgun
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:00 pm  Reply with quote

I know that this doesn't solve getting rid of old powders, but, I just take the gauge I want, load them with primers and have at it with them. Saves my hearing(the little that is left for the aids), saves the dog's hearing, and goes pop, hence popper. Not too high tech but low cost. Just make sure you clean your barrel after.

Regards,
Chuck

16'er
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:22 pm  Reply with quote

I’m currently using primed shells for popper needs, but up coming tests will need a loaded popper shell. So in advance prep to have as much set up like the tests, I’d like to have an option and burn some unused powder while saving the the other powders for real loads....
Brewster11
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:21 pm  Reply with quote

Friend used to stuff his muzzleloader with wadded up newspaper over powder, rammed down firmly. Worked great with satisfying report, and shredded newspaper going every which way.

Why wouldn't that work in 16ga hulls, with maybe a nitro card or equivalent over the powder?
robp
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:28 am  Reply with quote

I have loaded lots of these in 20 gauge for training with NAVHDA
I use any hull i can find mostly straight wall euro hulls and the cheapest primers noble sports, fast burning powder 20 grains and what ever wad I can find cheap then I fill it with corn cob media for polishing brass cases crimp it down tight works great
I have used course saw dust as well don't know why that would not work for a 16
goathoof
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:55 am  Reply with quote

This thread brings back memories of High School band in my senior year. My friend and I both played baritone saxophone and we both had 16 ga shotguns. The band was going to perform the 1812 Overture for the final concert of the spring season. Our Conductor wanted realistic cannon fire for the closing of the piece. So my friend and I loaded up blank shells with black powder and wads. There are 16 cannon blasts in the piece, but we could only load for 9 of them. I could put 5 in my remington 870 and my buddy had a double barrel and he could reload for 4 shots total. Near the end of the Overture, we snuck out of our places to go to the band room and retrieve our guns and run through the halls to stand in the foyer next to the auditorium. We timed our firing with the musical score, and it was LOUD and the smoke! The audience had no idea this was going to happen, but it was a big hit. When the Overture was over we climbed back on stage with our guns and took a bow with the full band. My saxophone playing was never as good as those shotgun blasts.
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:28 pm  Reply with quote

Those were fun and interesting days
What year did this happen, may I ask Smile
goathoof
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:06 pm  Reply with quote

1972. Our Band leader was one cool cat!