16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Rem 16 gauge frames?
Aek29
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:56 am  Reply with quote

I am not well versed in older Remington guns so I wanted to ask for some help. Could someone please tell me which Remington semi-auto's (if any) were build on a true 16 gauge frame? 11-48? 58? older 1100's?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Aek
Jesse168
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:24 pm  Reply with quote

I know that Remington over the years has made their frames for the 20 & 16 Ga shotguns where that the stocks will interchange. The Sportsman 48, 11-48, 48 Mohawk and 1100 stocks will interchange. The 870 stock will interchange with the above after the bolt hole is drilled larger.

I have been told that the trigger assemblies will interchange but have never tryed it first hand.

Jesse

KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:58 pm  Reply with quote

Aek29 wrote:
I am not well versed in older Remington guns so I wanted to ask for some help. Could someone please tell me which Remington semi-auto's (if any) were build on a true 16 gauge frame? 11-48? 58? older 1100's?

Definitely the Model 11's (Auto 5 clones) although they were not as light as the Sweet16's. Also the 11-48 and the 58's were on smaller frames, some on 16ga frames and some on 20ga frames. Finally, there is some debate as to whether the earlier 870's were on small gauge frames. The recent ones are definitely NOT though, being on very heavy 12ga frames.

You might want to check out this earlier thread on this subject...
http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=562&highlight=gauge+frame

Hope that helps.

KB
Aek29
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:23 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I appreciate the responses.

KyBrad16ga: I had read that thread when I searched for the topic bfore I had posted. Guess I was hoping for more detailed info..hehe

I remember the thread well as I used to (and I say the words "used to" witha great deal of regret) have a 16ga Citori lightning that I sold in the early to mid 90's. Biggest gun regret of my life.

Aek
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:46 am  Reply with quote

Aek29 wrote:
Thanks guys. I appreciate the responses.

KyBrad16ga: I had read that thread when I searched for the topic bfore I had posted. Guess I was hoping for more detailed info..hehe

I remember the thread well as I used to (and I say the words "used to" witha great deal of regret) have a 16ga Citori lightning that I sold in the early to mid 90's. Biggest gun regret of my life.

Aek

No problem pushing for more detailed information. Actually I ran across something just yesterday in a gun book I was reading in a chapter on 16 gauges where the author described having a 1979 vintage 1100 that he swore was on a smaller, ligher frame. I thought about your question and wondered what time frame these guns could have been manufactured? When to when? Did they make the 16ga for the 1100 back when they were introduced in the '60s?

I would love to find out more about these guns and if they really existed. Anyone have any additional information?

KB
Foursquare
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:26 pm  Reply with quote

I'm afraid it's an urban myth. I have a 1956 Wingmaster 16 and the frame is identical in size to a 1995 12 ga. There is, however, a real difference in overall weight. This is due to a couple of factors; lighter barrel contour and the unusual wood Rem used in the 50s. Don't recall the name but it's lighter than walnut and along with the corn cob forearm, it brings the whole gun in at 6.33 lbs vs 7 1/4+ for the recent production 16s.

The 16ga 58s (have one of those also) is defintely built on a 12ga frame. Mine pushes 8 lbs on the digital scale! I'm 99% certain the 1100s were done in the same way: 12 and 16 on the same frame.

Hope this helps.
Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."