PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:51 pm  Reply with quote

Gil is correct.

But PS form 1508
https://about.usps.com/forms/ps1508.pdf
allows dealers (FFLs) to ship handgun using USPS
Chicago
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:11 pm  Reply with quote

Gil S wrote:
The most protection regarding assured delivery is USPS Registered, Insured. Everyone who handles the package or receives it must sign for it. It is also the most expensive. FedEx, UPS, USPS, etc. all have their horror stories. USPS is the only shipper that doesn't require disclosure of contents. Don't even think about misrepresenting contents to FedEx or UPS--absolute defense to insurance claim.

It may be the same thing but I think Certified Mail with return receipt requested may be the safest through the USPS. At least that is what they used to call it. This way the person receiving the package has to sign for it and you get that receipt back from the receiving end. It is slow, expensive and safe. My understanding is that everyone has to sign for it, it is kept in a locked compartment on the delivery trucks and at the postal stations, and it will only be delivered if someone is there to sign for it. If no one is there they will leave a notice to pick it up at the local post office.

This may well be the same as Registered and you just ask for the “return receipt requested”. I haven’t shipped a gun in quite awhile. I like to drive them to my Smith and I have the good fortune of him not living very far away.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Gil S
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:17 pm  Reply with quote

Mike, it may be the same, but the method requires taping all seams of the box with the reinforced paper tape that accepts the inked seal from the post office to insure no tampering. Here's a good link with the do's and don'ts of firearms shipping:
http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=731364
Gil
Brewster11
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:25 pm  Reply with quote

When shipping a firearm through a FFL dealer, advise your recipient to inform the FFL dealer that the shipping package must be opened only in the presence of the recipient.

The same is true when receiving a firearm through a FFL dealer; the package should be opened by the FFL dealer only in your presence.

B.
bearman49709
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:43 am  Reply with quote

Chicago wrote:
Gil S wrote:
The most protection regarding assured delivery is USPS Registered, Insured. Everyone who handles the package or receives it must sign for it. It is also the most expensive. FedEx, UPS, USPS, etc. all have their horror stories. USPS is the only shipper that doesn't require disclosure of contents. Don't even think about misrepresenting contents to FedEx or UPS--absolute defense to insurance claim.

It may be the same thing but I think Certified Mail with return receipt requested may be the safest through the USPS. At least that is what they used to call it. This way the person receiving the package has to sign for it and you get that receipt back from the receiving end. It is slow, expensive and safe. My understanding is that everyone has to sign for it, it is kept in a locked compartment on the delivery trucks and at the postal stations, and it will only be delivered if someone is there to sign for it. If no one is there they will leave a notice to pick it up at the local post office.

This may well be the same as Registered and you just ask for the “return receipt requested”. I haven’t shipped a gun in quite awhile. I like to drive them to my Smith and I have the good fortune of him not living very far away.

Good Hunting,
Mike

Certified mail is not the same as registered mail. It is not signed for by anyone except at the delivery address nor is it kept locked up at anytime.
Gil S
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:25 am  Reply with quote

Bearman, you are correct. Thanks. Gil