16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Your Double on Upland Birds.
BarkeyVA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:46 pm  Reply with quote

Just read fin2feather's post about his first double on pheasants. Curious to know if other members remember their first double. My first double was a pair of sharptail grouse with a 12 ga Marlin Model 90 in Montana in 2004. Got a double on quail hunting on the family farm in Illinois in 2008 with my first 16 ga. Model 90. Shot plenty of pheasants in Kansas since I first hunting there in 2010 but never had the opportunity to get a double.

skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

Once got a triple on green wing teal with a Win Model 12
and three shots.
Yes, doubles on wild quail
Do not remember on phesants
Mike

kgb
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:35 pm  Reply with quote

Double on Prairie Chickens using 16ga Citori, report pair of ruffs using 16ga M21 and similar on pheasants using 16ga Model 12. The second phez didn't fly at the shot but rather when the first hit the ground right next to him. Bobwhite Quail this year I'm not so sure as the covey went out in a sort of ripple flush of groups. 20ga Ithaca M37.

wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:36 pm  Reply with quote

I got a triple on teal last year with my late father's Beretta A303 ,I'm sure he had a hand in it ,I couldn't believe it I just shot and they kept falling😀. I never got a double on Pheasant yet ,too excited when I see the first one go down to think about a second but I keep trying. There's the Shooting Times (magazine) Woodcock club over here you need to get a left and right at Woodcock and it has to be witnessed by two other people, who have to submit in writing to the Shooting Times , you can Then become a member and get a badge and an invitation to a black tie dinner they run each year in London , I'm still trying to get into that club.Happy hunting all WJ.
IDcut
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:54 am  Reply with quote

My first double on pheasants was about 2009 in SD. I was shooting a Ithaca 280E in 12 gauge, hunting through some cattails with a good friend. A rooster flushed towards my friend who dropped it. At his shot, a couple of roosters jumped up in front of me. I dumped the one to the right and then swung on the left bird and dropped it as well.

I was so surprised at both going down, I asked my friend if he had fired at the bird on the right, which was out front of where he was walking. "Nope, I was focused on where my bird went down and didn't see it."

About 2006 or 2007 I shot my only double on sharptails in SD. I was hunting with my same friend and was blocking a strip of Russian olives, while he and my brother worked through the strip with the dogs from the opposite end. A group of 7-8 sharp-tails flushed and flew directly over me. I shot one incoming and as they passed over me I swung and rotated 180 degrees and shot another going away. I was shooting a Remington 11-48 in 16 ga.

I've also been lucky to have the opportunity to shoot a few doubles on quail and chukar here in ID.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:35 am  Reply with quote

most efficient use of shells was 1st time I took my 1889 10ga goose hunting . Opened at noon - nobody else on the pond . Flock of honkers came in circling on the water -lead goose right there !! Shot him and 2 others all hit the water dead . Had to stop and count as the limit was 3 .... 1st 16 M12 , I was faster than the action cycling - got 3 doves with what appeared to be 1 shot . Slammed fired the gun so fast , my partner would swear to this day it was one shot ! A 3 for 2 .

3crosses
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:05 am  Reply with quote

Got a triple on scaled quail back in the 90's. Had a lot of quail that year. I was shooting am !L 48 in 28 gauge.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:48 am  Reply with quote

Can't really say. I wish I could remember which was first, but they are always exciting and after a few decades they have kind of blended together. I will say that the most significant have been doubles in timber: blue grouse. I have experienced precious few in that arena.

I imagine my first double was likely on sage grouse since that is what most of us Wyoming kids learned to hunt first. As many things as I do remember, I am surprised that memory is not etched in stone. I do recall my first successful hunt, but can't quite recall if there was a true double in there. There was much confusion and two teenagers had a several coveys rise up in short order!

goathoof
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:03 am  Reply with quote

I was using a borrowed 870 in .410 from my fellow partner; hunting chukars and quail in a canyon called Jack Ass creek several years ago. A very tight covey of quail flushed about 20 yards in front out of a mix of sage and rocks, and I shot once at what I thought was the lead bird. It went down and as I was looking for the body, I found four dead birds! I can only guess that the 3 inch shell had so many deformed pellets that they spread out like a garden hose to get four quail. My intention was just one bird and it was a surprise to see what had happened.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:18 pm  Reply with quote

I've had doubles on Green Winged Teal, but I'm not sure if they count because the birds that got hit weren't the ones I was aiming at. the gun was a Superposed 20 ga (prior to adopting the 16 ga faith).
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:29 pm  Reply with quote

I never got a double on anything.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
Chicago
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:39 pm  Reply with quote

My very first double was on woodcock back in the mid to late 70’s near Dublin, MI. My first grouse double was in 1981 near Traverse City, Mi, pheasant and sharptail grouse in ’84 in Tripp County, South Dakota. I have had more than a handful of grouse and woodcock doubles over the years.

All my life I kept waiting for a mixed double on grouse and woodcock and this year I had my chance. I went for the grouse too quickly and then came back for the woodcock and missed them both. I think that was the first true mixed double I ever got a chance on. I have had many opportunities when my dogs were working a running grouse and they happened upon a woodcock and froze up. So I go for the woodcock and then the grouse jumps and I have dropped a few of those over the years. Usually I just get the woodcock and many times I took two shots to drop the woodcock and simply watched the grouse fly off. It always seems to be an easy shot when you have empty chambers and are just observing the escape.

A few years back I was hunting my oldest setter and he works a pair of grouse through the aspen to the edge of the hardwood and the birds freeze. They both jump together and are flying at the same height with a bit of quartering to the pair. I bring my double up and go click, click. I had stopped to give the dog water a few minutes before, unloaded my gun before leaning it against a shrub and when I picked it back up I forgot to reload it.

Probably the most satisfying double was last year. I was hunting with my youngest son and my elder setter froze on a trail and my son and I shot a double over the same point. Now, that isn’t really a double but two birds dropped and they were both in the air at the same time, even if the shots came from two guns. My son thought he dropped a third and we looked for over 30 minutes and never found the bird. My elder setter has never missed a dead or wounded bird that I knew was down, but there is always a first time.

Good Hunting,
Mike
PRONGHORNSOUTH
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:09 pm  Reply with quote

In 74' I got a double Florida Mallard, with a single shot 12...
Not really planned of course. Mom loved it though. Still got the photo, standing in the kitchen with em. Wink
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:38 pm  Reply with quote

BarkeyVA,

I can not remember just exactly when I shot my 1st true double Pheasant, but I can tell you when I shot my 1st true mixed double Woodcock & Grouse. I was about 14 years old in the mid 50's, on the West Branch in Potter County, Pa using my Grandfathers Parker 28 Gauge double gun, walking behind his incredible Ryman Setter, Maggie May. My reflexes shot the birds, no talent or planning involved. I had to wait almost 50 years before it happened again at home in Potter County behind Pine Creek Ryman Daisy.

My Scotch Grouse True Double, happened by accident in the Laurel Mountains, Somerset, County, behind Sampson my Small Munsterlander, some time in the late 80's. Truly the luckiest shot of my hunting career, with my 16 Gauge L.C. Smith, and Sampson retrieved both Grouse to hand.

If you pay your dues in the woods wild bird hunting behind great gun dogs, God makes opportunities happen.

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:28 am  Reply with quote

My first double on quail as in 1997 in Kansas on quail.

My first double on roosters was in Nebraska 2005.

I have had other doubles on quail, but I am stil looking for another double on pheasants.

All have been with my 16 ga. 1100.

I have shot a few doubles on Connecticut pheasants but I don’t consider doubles on put and take birds as real doubles.