16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  2018 16 gauge plans?
Chicago
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:51 am  Reply with quote

In the Spring of 2017 I bought a 16 ga Army & Navy SLE to complete a composed pair. I looked on and off for 12 years to find another A&N 16 to closely match the one I have (16 A&N SLNE). My current gun is choked .001/.011 and is a great grouse gun, but is best under 30 yards. The new one is choked .004/.029 and the plan is for it to be my pheasant gun. I have two sons and two grandsons so they make a nice pair for handing down and both of my sons hunt (grandsons too young).

The new gun was built in 1907 and the one I already have in 1904. The new one is a higher grade gun with a little more engraving, ejectors (not a fan) and at some point in it’s long life the stock was replaced but not the fore end. It retains much of it’s original case color and appears little used over the past 110 years.

At any rate I had the seller send the gun to my smith for vetting and I saw it once back in March. I left the gun with my smith to have a wood extension added, some cast put in the stock, some touch up on the barrels and lightening of the fore end to more closely match the stock.

It was supposed to be ready for the opener of grouse season, so one of my sons could use it. Alas I didn’t get it back until early November. The smith did a nice job on the extension and touching up the barrels but didn’t add the cast or lighten the fore end (he is now retired). That was disappointing so I looked for a new smith that is a member of the ACGG and to my surprise found a member in my hometown. He has lived here for 25 years. So he is going to finish up what the original smith never did, and I may get the barrels re-blacked.

When all is said and done, hopefully by the fall of 2018, I will finally have my composed pair of 16’s. Too bad it takes so long to have these things accomplished, but I like the fact I can drive the gun five minutes and drop it off with an extremely competent guy.

Tomorrow my youngest son and I are pheasant hunting for the first time this fall. So he will get a chance to shoot the new 16 and see how he likes it. He needs the same dimensions as me, but less cast.

Good Hunting,
Mike
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:54 am  Reply with quote

Awesome
Good hunting
May he bond with the gun Smile
Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:31 am  Reply with quote

Great story, Chicago Mike. Sounds just plain wonderful. Would you mind sending us contact info for your local British-gun-capable gunsmith? Would you PM it to me if you'd prefer not broadcasting it on this forum.

By the way, I think the chokes in your guns are ideal -- just nuts!! in the old way of saying, i.e they couldn't be a better combo for the envisioned uses. I like fixed chokes in game guns, and those sound about perfect.

My own 16 gauge dreams are to get back to shooting my guns. A couple of major home projects totally wiped out the time for hunting this year -- first time in 20 years.

Anyone in Arizona care to fill me in on best way to get some dove and quail shooting down there? I will winter now in the Casa Grande area and I am conscious of the doves and quail on the golf course. I did notice your great post on dove shooting, Mr. WannaGoHunting from Mesa -- the one where you had "Parkerized" a pile of doves.

Cheers!
Tony
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:26 pm  Reply with quote

I want to get my Husky 44 hammer gun out in the field more, as I hardly used it this year, and used my mod. 100 instead due to no-tox requirements where I hunt. I just picked up an aquapod layout boat and will doing more duck hunting next year, and the 44, choked ic/m, would be an ideal duck gun over decoys. I need to get some ITX 4's for reloading, or a couple boxes of RST 2.5" bismuth so I can use it more.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Chicago
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:19 pm  Reply with quote

MaximumSmoke wrote:
Great story, Chicago Mike. Sounds just plain wonderful. Would you mind sending us contact info for your local British-gun-capable gunsmith? Would you PM it to me if you'd prefer not broadcasting it on this forum.

By the way, I think the chokes in your guns are ideal -- just nuts!! in the old way of saying, i.e they couldn't be a better combo for the envisioned uses. I like fixed chokes in game guns, and those sound about perfect.

My own 16 gauge dreams are to get back to shooting my guns. A couple of major home projects totally wiped out the time for hunting this year -- first time in 20 years.

Anyone in Arizona care to fill me in on best way to get some dove and quail shooting down there? I will winter now in the Casa Grande area and I am conscious of the doves and quail on the golf course. I did notice your great post on dove shooting, Mr. WannaGoHunting from Mesa -- the one where you had "Parkerized" a pile of doves.

Cheers!
Tony

Tony,
I sent you a PM but I am not sure if it works. If you didn’t receive it on the 15th then let me know and I will get the info to you. You may want to google the:

American Custom Gunmakers Guild.

On their website they list all the members along with their contact info. You may find someone close to you. I am also going to e-mail a friend of mine who lives in Hayward, WI. He has used an English Smith in WI over by St. Paul. I will get that name and pass it along.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:41 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,
I would like to find a mint condition L.C. Smith 16 Gauge Hammer Gun with Crown Barrels, and something similar from J.P. Sauer with Krupp Barrels for Grouse Hunting Unfortunately I made the big mistake of gifting my 16, Elsie Hammer Gun a few years back.

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:01 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20701

Last edited by skeettx on Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
fn16ga
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:27 pm  Reply with quote

BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG !!!

Other than that who knows what might come along . I have a new one on the way now .
Chicago
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:32 pm  Reply with quote

MaximumSmoke wrote:

Cheers!
Tony

Tony,
Today I hunted with a friend who has some Brit guns. He mentioned a good English smith in Mukwanago, WI by the name of Dennis Potter. Here is the contact info from the ACGG:

Dennis Potter
Big Bend
WI
(262) 662-9990
Metalsmith, Stockmaker

Here is also the link for the ACGG.

https://www.acgg.org/index.php/member-by-name/userslist/Professional%20Members.html?limit=30&start=90

I saw four or five folks from MN, two stocktakers and at least a couple of fellows that do metalsmith work. I didn’t realize it but Glen Fewless is located in Waterford, WI and that is only about 30 minutes from my house. I want to say he is an engraver, but I may have that wrong.

Hope this helps.

Good Hunting,
Mike
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:21 pm  Reply with quote

Dennis Potter is AWESOME
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=496879#Post496879
Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:42 am  Reply with quote

Chicago Mike,

Many thanks for the info. I have heard of these fellows and I've talked to Glenn Fewless a little each year at the Duluth Double Gun shoot. I used to live and work very near where those guys live. I lived in Greendale (SW Milwaukee suburb) and later near Genesee Depot, and worked at times in Milwaukee, Waukesha, Mukwonago/East Troy, and then Racine. I drove through Waterford every day when I worked in Racine -- it was a long commute through beautiful Wisconsin farmland, and as long as it was, it was a peaceful and enjoyable drive in those days. I did not know Dennis Potter was still taking work in. I thought he had basically retired. I guess I should contact him about some work on my Sterlingworth 16 -- raising the tangs. Anyway, Thanks!

Tony
JNW
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:02 am  Reply with quote

Let us know if you get your gun in with Mr. Potter. He's usually booked up pretty good and oftentimes only takes in work from a handful of longtime regulars. I've seen a bunch of his work (an acquaintance is one of his regulars) and it is spectacular.
Jeff
Auto5guy
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:19 am  Reply with quote

Hi there. New guy here with a first post.

It seems like most here are double gun shooters but as my name implies I'm a huge fan of the Browning Auto5. It was my dads favorite shotgun and my grandfather hunted with one for many years as well. I got my first Auto5 in twelve gauge at 13. Though my dad started me shooting one when I was nine years old.

[img]https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/23621578_10210468071645924_7954408690776096346_n.jpg?oh=83b877b7bd460b47fd471302aaf1d744&oe=5ADE4CC4[/img]

For most of my adult life my 12 gauge Auto5 from that Christmas at thirteen has been my go to shotgun.

My grandfather had a sweet sixteen that went to an uncle after his death. My dad always talked about that gun and how much he liked it. My oldest brother has a prewar 16 gauge auto 5 in 2 9/16 that he had converted to 2 3/4. He let me shoot it once and I've wanted one ever since. I spent years keeping an eye out for a deal on one never really crossing one at the right price at the right time.

Finally many years back I found a 1954 sweet 16 at a gunshow that was kind of a basket case. The fore end was split and gouged, the buttstock looked like it had been used to paddle a boat and the butt plate was half broken off. It was missing screws and I assumed it to be in non firing condition. But on the bright side the metal was in very good condition with no pitting or deep scratches. A little haggling and I walked out with it for $150.

It went in the closet with the thought that when I got a little ahead I would have it gone through. Well nearly a decade and three moves and a divorce later I finally boxed it up and sent it in to Browning to be restored. They anticipate having it back to me in March.

I can't wait to start chasing pheasants with it.
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:11 pm  Reply with quote

Hello Auto5guy
Welcome on your first posting
GREAT PICTURE
Enjoy the A-5
SWEET!
Mike

canvasback
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:00 pm  Reply with quote

I missed this thread last month. What a great subject.

My 16 gauge plans for 2018? These are plans, right? Not commitments? LOL

Working on prying loose a French 1880 16 gauge bar in wood hammer gun made by someone with whom I share a surname. If I can get it, it will require some extensive rehab but with great Bernard barrels, it will be well worth it. And how many of us get to carry a gun with our own name engraved on it as the maker!

Continuing my search for just the right Manufrance Ideal 16 gauge, to be a good little brother to my prized Ideal 6R RE in 12 gauge.

A trek to the heartland come October to rekindle friendships and make new ones. To walk the open plains and hills of Nebraska, the pheasant fields of South Dakota and to make my way through the woods of northern Minnesota. And to carry my 16 gauge guns in all of those places.

To acquire at least one model of the three pump gun collection I am after...an M12, an M31 and an M37. All in 16 gauge. I sold my two M12's 16 gauge guns last year after an unfortunate "accident" rendered them for me no longer worth owning. It's a long story....don't ask.

And finally, to begin the custom Fox project I have had on the back burner for about 10 years. I have the gun....I know know who I want to do all the various work. The last piece of the puzzle (besides cost) is finding the right blank.

Big list. Don't know that I'll get it all done but who cares. The fun is in the trying!

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz