16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Deerslayer evaluating
kgb
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:22 pm  Reply with quote

What are the dynamics to be aware of in checking out a slug gun? About to try a new-to-me 16ga Deerslayer barrel and nearly no experience in sluggunnery. Figure the gun can be shot from a bench with the forearm on a rest and a bag under the toe to hold steady. Does grasping the forearm change impact? Does impact change when a few shots warm up the barrel? Anything you experienced users have to share with a novice?

fourtrax
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:56 am  Reply with quote

Def. try shooting some from a free hand standing position or whatever position you might be in Deer hunting.

byrdog
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:25 pm  Reply with quote

the slug you use will make all the difference. If you dont like the results with one brand try another until you get to the one that your barrel likes. If you will be rolling your own the sky is the limit . Once you find the right combo archive that info as gun specific .

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
cowdoc87
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:29 pm  Reply with quote

and shoot close

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:47 pm  Reply with quote

Wind and slugs don't mix well, especially if you are trying to determine which ones work best in your gun based on group size. They are big, fat, ugly and slow. Just like me. Even head and tailwinds will change your impact. If if is windy especially gusting stay home. All it will prove is that you can get bruises on your shoulder shooting slugs.

Figure the gun can be shot from a bench with the forearm on a rest and a bag under the toe to hold steady. Does grasping the forearm change impact?

Yes. If you don't hold the forearm the bbl. will rise and POI is going to be higher than when you do hold with the same amount of back pressure into the gun as you would shooting while hunting. Bags and bench are fine, but hold with the same type of pressure you would shooting offhand.

Does impact change when a few shots warm up the barrel?

Unless the bbl. is pinned to the receiver not so much as a rifle. But take your time it isn't a race. Too much at once and you will start to flinch.

Sight in at 50 yards. Once you determine your POI and adjust then you can move to 100 and 150. And see how much wind and gravity affects your POI. Keep it close is great advice. Don't remember the charts exactly but something like a typical day hunting with 15 mph cross wind will throw off the POI by more than a foot at a 100 yards IIRC. And something like 2 feet at 150 yards.

Did I mention don't sight in or check groups in the wind? Good luck and have fun with the new gun!
kgb
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:47 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks, CI. Wind in Nebraska? No problem!

I test a lot of 22s for cowboy silhouette, try to make that hay when the sun shines and the wind dies. Can be a challenge, but I'll throw the DS in on the next time the weather cooperates.

Appreciate all responses.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:35 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
Def. try shooting some from a free hand standing position or whatever position you might be in Deer hunting.

Back in our teen years hunting deer with our buds, the preferred position for shooting slugs with cheap single barrel shotguns seemed to be eyes closed, teeth clenched, heads turned away. Gosh we missed a lot of deer. Also got a few however, probably the deer's fault for jumping in the way of a wayward slug. They seemed to 'sail' off every which way.
kgb
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:36 pm  Reply with quote

Not no joy, but low joy today. After checking out a few varieties of .22s the Deerslayer took the rest before the 50yd targets. 3 Federal slugs printed worse than 3 Remingtons which clocked in at 5". Both groups were 3" high of point of aim, as indicated would happen when the forend wasn't held, and a bit to the left. Free-recoiling left empties sitting on the bench, a couple upright like they had been set there. Gotta get some of the Brenneke slugs, and also see if a grip on the forearm helps the groups with Rems and Feds. Will also try the bird barrel while I'm at it, never know.

tramroad28
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:11 am  Reply with quote

I personally like a standing bench rest holding the foreend for slugs with some recoil attenuation re weight.
Does not take too many shots in light guns when hunched over and using often chunky open sights to plump up groups.
If no scope then I would avoid 150 yard shots with slugs, especially conventional fosters or brennekes....I will ask tho, is this an older barrel or one of the newer one with scratches down it’s length?
Regardless, be the one to adapt to the gun rather than the other way ‘round with slugs and their limits.

I mounted a LER scope on a 12 Deerslayer once...2X..worked ok but much preferred a peep, for the distances and reality of SE Ohio deer.

One would think that slug make does not matter but I always found barrels preferring one over another. Time will tell if the difference is significant. I also like IC as a choke which is what older Deerslayers often were. That said, I had equal luck with an Auto 5 Buck, a b-2000, 1100s and 870.
My latest was a 12 BUL, SK tube, slip-on pad and Federal fosters.....worked fine tho deer hunting for what it has ocassioned in Ohio, holds little appeal any longer.
Attitude matters with slug guns, open sights and our decisions to shoot or not...I suspect you will find some combo to work well enough for guvmint work.

As a side, brennekes always had a bit of a rep that marketing, cost and comparable scarcity brings, I do think the length may help at times but help is more a fit & try deal then ..”boy, brennekes are it”..., ime.
The may be the bee’s knees for your gun tho....have fun discovering positives and limits.
kgb
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:20 pm  Reply with quote

Think I might have lucked out, the Remingtons were shot second in line and scored the better grouping. Six shots weren't excessive, helped by a sissypad between the recoil pad and my shoulder. Fine if Remingtons shoot better, I have more of them. Also some Peters buckshot to try out sometime. No choke in Deerslayer that I know of, just straight bores through the length.

tramroad28
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:33 pm  Reply with quote

kgb wrote:
... No choke in Deerslayer that I know of, just straight bores through the length.

Could be...my 12 gauge measured .009.
Enough to kill deer...maybe I just lucked out.
Murdock
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:29 pm  Reply with quote

The bore of a Deerslayer is tighter than a normal 16 gauge, and tighter than a cylinder bored gun. No choke at all. This is why the old advertising literature From Ithaca stated that when using shot in the slug barrel patterns "similar to improved cylinder" were to be expected. It will mike as if it has some degree of choke, but it's the entire bore, not just the muzzle.

Regarding expected accuracy, Ithaca stated that a 5-shot group at 100 yards could be "covered or touched" with a spread hand. When my father and I tried it with the 16 gauge Deerslayer he bought in 1966 that was so. So maybe a 9-inch group at that distance with Foster slugs, with the factory iron sights.

I still have and use that old gun. Last year I bought a vent rib barrel with screw in chokes for it, and that little jewel fit right in. Amazing thatj after a half century and Ithaca going through much business turmoil and a change in location that American engineering still holds to high standards.

Ithaca M37 16
Krieghof Sempert Drilling 16x16/8x57
1925 Browning A5 16 CYL
kgb
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:45 pm  Reply with quote

I found my old Winchester brand slugs, need the wind to die down and take it to the range.

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:38 pm  Reply with quote

Good luck,mine likes Remingtons' best. On a good day(mine) it will shoot 3 shot 50 yard groups you can cover with a coke can. Never looked at anything else.
kgb
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:09 am  Reply with quote

Liking winchesters best would be the worst. Don't find them anymore, they may have discontinued them.

I will ultimately try this route with a Model 12, Model 97 and an A5, those are the guns I intend to keep. Just enjoying the working with a real Deerslayer gun, I may some day wind up with such a barrel for my 20ga M37 but it's an older, 1951 gun.