16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Best Gunsmith for AyA's
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:53 am  Reply with quote

Who is the best at working on AyA's right now, with Jack Rowe gone. Both mine went on the blink this summer -- ejectors on my 4/53 and likely firing pins on my #2. Both look like improper hardness/heat treat issues with original parts. Bought both guns new in 2000 and 2003 respectively, both made in 2000.
eng-pointer
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:12 am  Reply with quote

I just had my AYA #2 in to J.J. Perodeau for trigger and safety work this summer. He also bent the stock for me. J.J. has done a fair amount of work for me over the last 8 or so years and I have always been happy. He regulated some barrels for me a couple years ago that are now spot on.

James

http://jjperodeau.com/

"My degree of optimism is negotiated daily" Bill Snyder, Former Head Football Coach, Kansas State University
studdog
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:06 am  Reply with quote

Dave Vandenbrandt in Michigan is top notch with lots of AYA experience.

artesian01
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:08 am  Reply with quote

Eric Meitzner, Solon Springs, WI. have had many of my aya's, uggies, brownings, foxes, rugers, etc worked on by him. he workd for don allen, who started dakota arms, for years. Eric works on fine guns for many dealers in the area. Can't emphasize enough what incredible work he does. I am sure the others listed do great work as well. He has done the very work on my guns that you are in need of...I have a #2 and a #4/53...also, 3 Uggies, including an AOC/SG 16 gauge, which is on par with a 4/53 in terms of build and quality. 715-378-2211. Sees clients only on Fri/Sat...works on guns the other days.
Tom Shaffer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:47 am  Reply with quote

How about a recommended Arrieta smith ?
Beagle
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:39 pm  Reply with quote

New England Custom Guns in Claremont, NH does superb work on both. They are AyA dealers, I bought my 20 ga #2 from them and I have all work on all my guns done by them. Check out their website and you’ll get the picture. All my guns are European and these guys know their job. They work on everything from Purdys to the triggers on my $100 Anitua.

Frank

skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:06 pm  Reply with quote

Any update on progress made?
Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:10 pm  Reply with quote

I dislike shipping my guns across the nation for service. I try to avoid it if possible. Parts cost from the AyA dealers was very high, and availability was low. Also, in the case of firing pins, they want to sell you a kit with more parts than you need. Those parts need hand fitting anyway, so I lathe-turned my own firing pins from drill rod and had a local fellow install them. I left room for him to tailor the lengths of the firing pins for specific shotguns (two AyA #2's) -- they are all a little different! AyA's are NOT mass produced; they are hand fitted to at least some degree. After the firing pins were fitted, they were removed, hardened and re-installed. Other work involved a general tightening up of loose screws in the locks of the #2's and re-installation and staking of a pin which had migrated out of a pivot in the ejector system of my AyA #4/56, causing it to malfunction. All guns function well now, and the work was accomplished for a very reasonable cost -- if I don't figure in my time and tools. Laughing Embarassed

Mine was not an economical solution. Since I own my machine tools already as a part of my self-guided late-life education and entertainment, having the tools and the inclination gave me an alternative to factory parts. It gives me a feeling of freedom and satisfaction to make useful parts, etc, but there is no way doing so will ever pay for my tools -- fact is I don't want to work hard enough to make that possible. I'm also very lucky to have friends who are more skillful gun workers than I. I'm just a hobbyist.
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:40 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks
I have a Model 217 made in 1956 that needs some TCL
Mike