16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Sauer trigger guard mateial - repair needed
Kaiser Norton
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:30 am  Reply with quote

Recently, I picked up a JP Sauer 16ga SxS, evidently made for and marketed by Geco. While showing it off to my brother, I stated my only complaint about the gun was the trigger guard looked like it was made out of plastic - maybe bakelite. He suggested that it was possibly horn.

This is where the problem arises. We were out pheasant hunting and the trigger guard cracked - right where the screw attaches it to the pistol grip. I guess it didn't like the cold ND wind any more than I did. Obviously I can't shoot the gun until this is repaired. Being a complete hack, I'm hesitant to attempt this repair - especially not being sure what the material is and what glue to use. And with most of the screws still having their proper timing, I don't want to mess up. Thoughts?

This is a great gun - feels like magic in my hands. Even with getting used to double triggers, I went 5 for 8 on roosters with it using B&P #5s.

Kaiser Norton

skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:40 am  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan

Mark, you repair this kind of thing?

http://www.marklarsongunart.com/

The Stock Doctor

Dennis, you repair this kind of thing?

http://www.thestockdr.com/

Mike

JNW
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:31 pm  Reply with quote

Those trigger guards are made of horn. Might be able to find a used one. I would contact Merkel USA and New England Custom Guns. Also ask over on DoubleGunShop.com. They have a German gun forum. You can always have a new steel trigger guard made. Probably be a few hundred dollars.
Good luck,
Jeff
dannypratt
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:12 pm  Reply with quote

Galazan also sells the horn trigger gaurds in a more or less "blank", i.e, oversized so you can shape to fit your gun.

I too have a JP Sauer Geco from 1936...mine is the "ejector" model.

It's on of the very finest shotguns I've ever handled. Hence the reason I bought it!

Send me a PM, and I can email you some pics if you'd like.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:04 pm  Reply with quote

dannypratt wrote:
Galazan also sells the horn trigger gaurds in a more or less "blank", i.e, oversized so you can shape to fit your gun.

I too have a JP Sauer Geco from 1936...mine is the "ejector" model.

It's on of the very finest shotguns I've ever handled. Hence the reason I bought it!

Send me a PM, and I can email you some pics if you'd like.

This sounds like a good option.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
DES/TSD
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:50 am  Reply with quote

I have repaired some in the past. I have found that the guards sold by Galazan are in need of "adjusting" to make them work well. "Adjusting" is a pain and multi time endeavor. It can be done and I have done it.

It has been a while since I posted and even read this board. Work has gotten ahead of me in many ways. It may be possible to patch the horn area to match with another piece of horn. Please send pictures and I will see if possibilities can be made into reality.

Dennis Earl Smith

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:33 am  Reply with quote

I knew someone else in ND was using a 16 when I found an empty hull! Just kidding, the one I found was Fiocchi.

I would be tempted to make a new guard from metal but it takes a bit of skill and patience. Pics of old guard?

sonofsuhl
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:24 am  Reply with quote

I have recently become a 16Ga GECO owner thanks to a generous gift.

The double S of Sauer & Sohn is clearly seen on the barrels and receiver (proof marks 1931)

My trigger guard was broken in two places, once behind the triggers and one by the screw hole.

What has worked for the main rupture was to drill recesses for pins on either side of the crack, and pin it together, using superglue. JB Weld did not hold for some reason.

Also, because the rear of the trigger guard 'bulge' takes quite a bit of impact on the fingers from the recoil, I have added a vertical pin for stability.

In my receiver, just behind the triggers, is a drilled hole (not tapped)
I drilled into the bone to take a pin that fits into that receiver hole. This keeps the trigger guard from moving forward with the recoil, if that makes sense.

So far so good. I still need to pin up the rear end but it is not crucial anymore

Long term I'll be looking to replace with a steel guard.
dilly
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:39 pm  Reply with quote

What about a 3D printer? Could you scan it an duplicate it from black high density plastic?

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:44 am  Reply with quote

dilly wrote:
What about a 3D printer? Could you scan it an duplicate it from black high density plastic?

I don't see why that wouldn't work, but it surely wouldn't be what the makers intended. I'd bet it would sap all the mojo out of the gun, using plastic there. Crying or Very sad

Carlos
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:32 am  Reply with quote

Dave in Maine wrote:
dilly wrote:

I don't see why that wouldn't work, but it surely wouldn't be what the makers intended. I'd bet it would sap all the mojo out of the gun, using plastic there. Crying or Very sad

LIVING BETTER - PLASTICALY!