16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Briley thin wall chokes ?
kennedy756
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:08 pm  Reply with quote

thinking of having them installed on my marlin 90, don`t know anything about them, what is the process?

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:29 pm  Reply with quote

Call Briley, they will tell you where to send the barrels. Barrels only do not require an FFL.

They ask you which chokes you would like and give you a price for the work and choke tubes. (I recommend getting the entire set.)

I have had thin walls installed in my 16 gauge 1100 and I would have it done again. Great chokes, beautiful patterns, they did not change my POI and a nice flush fit on the muzzle.

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:14 pm  Reply with quote

All the above plus a fairly rapid turnaround on them. The standard job is for 5 choke tubes, and being an upland bird hunter mainly, I usually go with SK, IC, LtMod, Mod, IMod. On preserve quail in my SXS's, SK/IC works very well. For preserve pheasant I go with IC/Mod. When I head west for sharptail, chukar, Huns and wild pheasant, I go with LtMod/IMod. The interesting thing about Briley thinwalls, is each bore size in a particular gauge has it's own series number where thinwall chokes out of my 16 ga Ugartechea will not fit in my 16 ga Zabala made gun.

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:20 pm  Reply with quote

I had them installed in my 16 ga. 37RVD

They will bore match them based to your specifications at no extra charge. Personally not a fan of IC, Mod, etc. and prefer measured constriction relative to the bore. I went with .004 .008 .012 and .020 for skeet, SC and trap.

I also went with steel compatible instead of lead only. I don't shoot steel and don't ever plan on it. But you never know....
double vision
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

Cold Iron makes a really good point about specifying the constrictions. I have a set of the Briley Tungsten/Steel compatible Thinwalls in a 16 gauge Beretta SxS that the previous owner had installed. The tubes are marked "SK, SK, IC, Mod, IM" and the respective constrictions are .008, .008, .013, .023, .029. They work out well for me, but those constrictions aren't quite typical for the markings. For example the .013 and .023 tubes have significant constriction for IC and Modified. That said, I generally hammer the crap out of everything with the SK/IC pair which are .008 & .013 and that's more than good enough for me, especially with a SxS which can be dicey for me.

They are very well crafted, and they way mine perform I have to believe they are spot on and throwing excellent patterns.
kennedy756
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:15 am  Reply with quote

what does it cost?

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:37 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.briley.com/c-407-choke-installation-pricing.aspx

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
studdog
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:15 am  Reply with quote

I've had good luck with Briley. Quality product. One friend had a barrel blow up and had to sue Briley to get satisfaction. FWIW

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:37 am  Reply with quote

The constrictions I have relative to bore size are:

Cylinder +0.001"
Skeet 1 -0.006"
IC -0.010"
L. Mod -0.015"
Mod -0.019"
I. Mod -0.026"
Full -0.032"

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:08 pm  Reply with quote

studdog wrote:
I've had good luck with Briley. Quality product. One friend had a barrel blow up and had to sue Briley to get satisfaction. FWIW

Greg purchased his gun with thinwalls already installed and it was used. There is no telling what the previous owner did with the choke tubes. So I don't blame Briley.

Which brings up a good point. They are called thinwalls for a reason. If you drop them on a hard surface and the skirt hits at an angle they can dent. So they do require some care in handling. It is the dented skirts that have caused issues with shooting the chokes out of the end of the bbl. and damage to the barrel. Not often but there are a few that have been noted.
Little Creek
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:13 am  Reply with quote

Brileys are really great. But you've got to love the gun you install them in. They are so expensive they are worth more than some of the guns people think about putting them in!
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:39 am  Reply with quote

No question that the Briley chokes will dent if dropped on a hard surface. There are many types of mats made that are perfect for the area around your gun cleaning bench. Many are very inexpensive. I bought some snap together mats from Craftsman many years ago that have saved a few gun parts from damage.

Cheap insurance.

rkittine
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:47 pm  Reply with quote

I do not know the Marlin 90 so I do not know if you really need thin walls or not. If not, then I would recommend you call Mike Orlon and ask him. He will know if he can put regular thickness screw ins in your gun, is much less expensive then Briley, has you barrel for a shorter period of time and if you are a member of www.ShotgunWorld.com, you give him your screen name and get 20 percent off.

I have some Briley thin walls and clean them in the barrel and then unscrew them and wipe them off on the outside and clean the threads and then re-install. I have friends that will not use Briley thin walls, since, like noted, they can be damaged if handled poorly outside the barrel, but handled correctly they are fine by me. \

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
rdja
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:35 pm  Reply with quote

I had Briley put thin walls in my Marlin 90 several years ago. Works great. Also had them do a 12 ga model 21 recently. Excellent work and timely too. Yes think walls are thin and could be easily damaged if dropped. Just take extra care when changing them. I have not had a problem.
I did have another set of 90 barrels I sent to a different gunsmith. They sat in his shop for several weeks/months. Called and asked about them, always said I be getting to them soon. But I had him just send them back after the third phone call. Meanwhile feedback on a thread on shotgun world had people send after I did and get their barrels back, but yet mine were string and not getting worked on. I had enough and will only use Briley from now on.