16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  900 BAR = ? PSI
brent
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:54 pm  Reply with quote

I have a William Evans 16 gauge double. I have shot it for quite a few years on pheasants using blackpowder loads in roll-crimped plastic cases. I also shoot trap with it from time to time with blackpowder as well.

I would like to consider shooting smokeless, although it's not a deal breaker if I can't. The gun has been proofed at 900 BAR. But I don't see any reloading recipes in units BAR, nor do I see any for the 65 mm chambers and the roll crimp I'm going to need to use.

Can anyone suggest any loads or sources of loads for this? I am looking for 1 oz trap loads and maybe 1 1/8 oz loads for pheasants.

eng-pointer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

1 BAR = 14.50377 Psi

900 x 14.50377 = 13053.3964 if you ignore the rules of significant digits!

I have no recommendation on what loads you should shoot in your fine double.

James

Last edited by eng-pointer on Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

"My degree of optimism is negotiated daily" Bill Snyder, Former Head Football Coach, Kansas State University
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:02 pm  Reply with quote

LOTS of fun reading

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18828&highlight=bar

Last edited by skeettx on Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
brent
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:37 pm  Reply with quote

That was some interesting reading and it appears that my 16 is proofed at a higher pressure than most however the proofs do not mention shot capacity, and there is no nitro stamp.

The reading wasn't much help with finding modern loads for it., but reading elsewhere suggests that roll crimping will knock 500 PSI off the pressures, so that's a small start. I'm not finding much on 65 mm loads, though another thread down the page a ways lists 18 gr of Longshot as a good powder for short shells. I wish I knew of a published source for such info.
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:47 pm  Reply with quote

Brent,
let's see what you want to do

You want to stick 1 1/8 ounces of shot into a 2 1/2 inch hull and keep the pressure low (around 7000psi) ?

What velocity do you want?

Mike

p.s. for one ounce and less, I recommend trying these at first
http://www.rstshells.com/store/m/3-16-Gauge.aspx

brent
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:02 am  Reply with quote

I don't know enough to really know what I want.

A simple, easy trap load would be nice for sure. Buying those RST rounds at $10/box and up puts a real damper on shooting my 16.

Perhaps a 1 1/8 oz load for a 2.5" shell is a bit optimistic. But I can always load the fewer shells I need for hunting using blackpowder. It's really the trap loads that I'm searching for.

What velocity do I need? again, I don't know but most of my guns shoot loads that spec at about 1240 fps, give or take a little so it would be nice to shoot about the same speed I guess.

for a gun that is proofed at 900 Bar, is 7000 PSI a realistic limit for everyday shooting? I would think that something a little higher would be okay, but I again I don't know. There seems to be basically nothing out there in the few loads that I've seen that is anywhere close to 7000 PSI. Everything I have seen is at least close to 8000 and most well over that, including blackpowder loads.
double vision
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:57 am  Reply with quote

Old guns can be frustrating in this aspect. Sometimes the sad reality is they just aren't up to what we want to do with them. That said, it sounds like you've been doing fine with your black powder loads and you still have all of your fingers. Also it might be a good excuse to find another cool hammer gun that is just a bit more robust, or at least more clearly proofed. I've been down this road. Good luck!
byrdog
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:53 am  Reply with quote

in a chedite type hull use a Fio 616 primer , 22 grains of Longshot , SG16 wad , 1oz lead shot , roll crimp . pressure is 6900 psi or 460 BAR. velocity is 1250

The WW 209 primer can be used to soften this load to even lower pressure.
DATA is Balistic Products Advantages manual #5

Chedite type hull means Fiocchi , Winchester Straight wall, Herters, RST or Polywad.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
brent
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:17 am  Reply with quote

Byrdog, that is a great help. Only a Red dot load might Have been better, because I already have it. But I was just cruising past a cabelas and now I have a can of longshot.
byrdog
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:41 am  Reply with quote

red dot is to fast for what you want. I use a lot of Longshot because it is good for 1oz 16ga loads with low pressure and good usable velocities.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/