16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Sweet sixteen in vector choke install
16gaStevens311
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:32 am  Reply with quote

I have a Belgian sweet with Cutts compensator.
I'm preparing to have Cutts removed and barrel threaded for invector chokes. Anyone else had this done before?
tdnathens
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:40 am  Reply with quote

I think you will find your barrel is too thin for invector chokes. Briley is the only option I know of for these barrels.
Tom
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:52 pm  Reply with quote

Another view point.

Browning 16 Gauge Invector Chokes are next to worthless as a choke system.

Please do yourself a favor and have the Briley's installed.

skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:57 pm  Reply with quote

Why remove the wonderful Cutts?
Esthetics?
Find is disturbing in the field?
Can't find choke tubes?

Mike

df
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:13 pm  Reply with quote

Dogchaser37 wrote:
Another view point.

Browning 16 Gauge Invector Chokes are next to worthless as a choke system.

Please do yourself a favor and have the Briley's installed.

Why do you say invector chokes are worthless?
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:23 pm  Reply with quote

They pattern poorly and you can barely see a difference between I/C and Mod. Even though the modified choke measures tighter the patterns are more open than the I/C. I bought replacement chokes from Trulock and they weren’t a whole lot better.

On the other hand the Briley Thin Walls in my 1100 throw very nice patterns and true to their actual constriction. It doesn’t matter what load from 7/8 through 1 1/4 oz., #9’s to #5’s. That includes buffered lead and buffered bismuth.

There is absolutely no question which tubes you would want to have.

double vision
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:31 am  Reply with quote

Dogchaser37 wrote:
They pattern poorly and you can barely see a difference between I/C and Mod. Even though the modified choke measures tighter the patterns are more open than the I/C. I bought replacement chokes from Trulock and they weren’t a whole lot better.

On the other hand the Briley Thin Walls in my 1100 throw very nice patterns and true to their actual constriction. It doesn’t matter what load from 7/8 through 1 1/4 oz., #9’s to #5’s. That includes buffered lead and buffered bismuth.

Mark, what tubes are you using in your Citori? You didn't retrofit it for Thinwalls, did you?
df
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:54 am  Reply with quote

Dogchaser37 wrote:

Interesting. I have not patterned mine, but have shot my best two rounds of sporting clays with my Citori heritage 16 ga. And it’s been murder on birds. I use factory mod and IC.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:26 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

I bought Mullers, BUT I have not had a chance to pattern them yet, when I do I will post the results.

I am hoping that with the Mullers the constrictions are far enough apart that there will actually be a difference in the pattern percentage.

I have shot some honest 40 - 50 yard FITASC targets with a U2/U3 and hit them well with 1 oz. loads of 7 1/2's. We will see.

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:31 pm  Reply with quote

Hi df,

Yup I have killed birds with both I/C and Mod chokes in both my A5 and my Citori. However I went investigating way back in 1987 when I first got my A5.

I had access to a lathe back then and I bought a few Full 16 ga. invector chokes and played until I got what I wanted.

It's an OK system but not what it should be.

df
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

Dogchaser37 wrote:
Hi df,

Yup I have killed birds with both I/C and Mod chokes in both my A5 and my Citori. However I went investigating way back in 1987 when I first got my A5.

I had access to a lathe back then and I bought a few Full 16 ga. invector chokes and played until I got what I wanted.

It's an OK system but not what it should be.

Thanks for your insights.
JNW
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:48 pm  Reply with quote

My 16 gauge Browning Invectors (gun came from Browning with these chokes) are true to their marked constrictions and perform exceptionally well. They have a gradual constriction followed by a parallel section at the end. These chokes pattern just as they should. I have also owned good old flush Invectors in 12 and 28 gauge that worked great. I’ve never understood the need for all the after market chokes out there. A choke tube with about .018” constriction is going to throw a modified pattern from a 16 gauge barrel, no matter who made it. Unless the tube is out of round, or mismarked for constriction (which I’ve seen) they all work. This is also why I own a 100 Straight bore gauge with attachments for 12, 16, 20, 28 and .410. I know exactly what all my bores and chokes are. Here is a sample of Neil Winston’s work comparing choke tubes with science.

http://www.trapshooters.com/threads/new-test-for-trapshooters-this-time-brain-briley-muller-tight-chokes-tested-winston.486281/

He’s got more tests out there. Unless there is a manufacturing defect a choke tube is a choke tube is a choke tube. If you believe a certain brand of choke tube performs better than others, then I’ve got a bridge I’d like to sell you.
Jeff
JNW
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:41 pm  Reply with quote

To the OP. Sorry about the rant. If you want choke tubes installed in your A5 the only folks capable of putting thin walls in your 16 gauge are Briley. I am not aware of anyone else doing this for 16s. Before you cut off the end of your barrel in your garage you should call them first and probably send them your barrel to see if it will work. Or, you could shop for a nice Japanese A5 barrel that comes with Invectors. They do exist.
Jeff
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:12 am  Reply with quote

Jeff,

The actual Browning 16 Gauge Invector chokes do not have a parallel section. They are conicals and short conicals at that.

The I/C tubes I had threw I/C patterns but they were anything but well distributed. The modified tubes threw less than I/C patterns with the same anemic looking distribution. .....and yup I actually counted pellets and checked the core to annular ratio. The worst system I have ever checked and both shotguns patterned very similar.

I believe that the 16 ga. 525’s that were made had the Midas style chokes in them. I have never actually measured the Midas chokes.

I have no idea what the new Sweet Sixteens have.

JNW
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:02 pm  Reply with quote

I think in the last few years Browning has gotten better with their chokes being machined closer to their labeled constrictions. I know that over 20 years ago most of their chokes in all gauges were way more open than their label indicated. I also have some Briley chokes for a Ruger 20 gauge where the Skeet chokes are tighter than the IC chokes and Cesar Guerini chokes that aren't even close to their supposed constrictions, so everyone leaks out some incorrectly marked chokes sometimes. That's why I have a bore gauge.
I must say that the 16 gauge Midas chokes I have are excellent.
Jeff