16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Resizing help?
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:16 pm  Reply with quote

I have a Husky 100 16b hammer gun that won't take once fired reloads from my Lee load all, using the collet re-sizer. They are just too tight going in. Is that a tool issue, and if so, would a Mec re-sizing tool fix this? I would like to be able to use all the once fired Herters hulls I have, but if I can't, I'll have to buy new hulls or RST's/polywads. Oh, the horror Shocked Laughing

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:28 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, MEC SuperSizer
or other MEC collet sizer will fix the situation

Lets review, the crimp end is NOT the concern? They are bull nosed
enough to fit the chamber well.
This issue is the shotshell case heads are oversize in either body or rim?

You know anyone near by with a SuperSizer, Mec Sizemaster, Mec Grabber, Mec 9000 in 16 gauge?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MEC-RELOADING-16-GA-GAUGE-SUPER-SIZER-RESIZING-TOOL-EXCELLENT-USED-CONDITION/183016913966?epid=4006200167&hash=item2a9ca87c2e:g:MzsAAOSw9NBaWuV8

Mike

Stack16
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:40 pm  Reply with quote

That would be a yes on the Mec super sizer, keep adjusting it tighter until the shells drop in the chamber. It says on the top to not resize loaded shells but how is one going to know when its adjusted right for that particular gun, plus you probably already have several loaded up that will need resized. They do have gages that one can check hulls on or to set the resizer to.
On another note, some doubles and some marlin model 90s are difficult to open on certain medium height brass hulls (steel with a brass wash) I find that using really low brass hulls or better yet the old hulls that are pure brass ( AA compression formed hulls) does the trick.

Griff

Stack16
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:42 pm  Reply with quote

Mike already posted by the time I got through typing my post.

kennedy756
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:52 pm  Reply with quote

had the same problem with my Ithaca 37, my solution was to retire my lee load all, and use my mec 600, but had to buy a new sizer and when resizing, I size, turn the hull 180 degrees and resize again.

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:22 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Yes Mike, the hull is a tight fit the full length from mouth to head of the brass. I will definitely get a Mec sizer. I love the Herters hulls and would love to be able to use them.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:24 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
Yes, MEC SuperSizer
or other MEC collet sizer will fix the situation

Lets review, the crimp end is NOT the concern? They are bull nosed
enough to fit the chamber well.
This issue is the shotshell case heads are oversize in either body or rim?

You know anyone near by with a SuperSizer, Mec Sizemaster, Mec Grabber, Mec 9000 in 16 gauge?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MEC-RELOADING-16-GA-GAUGE-SUPER-SIZER-RESIZING-TOOL-EXCELLENT-USED-CONDITION/183016913966?epid=4006200167&hash=item2a9ca87c2e:g:MzsAAOSw9NBaWuV8

Mike

I placed a bid, and it's not too far from me either. Thanks Mike!

gjw
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:30 am  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan wrote:
Thanks guys! Yes Mike, the hull is a tight fit the full length from mouth to head of the brass. I will definitely get a Mec sizer. I love the Herters hulls and would love to be able to use them.

Hey Mark, the Super Sizer will only size the brass end of the hull. Sounds like you may have problems with crimp end of the hull as well. If so, the best solution I can suggest is get yourself a Sizemaster. They are not cheap (around $300 or so) but well worth it in my opinion. I've had issues with some of my reloads like your having, got a Sizemaster and no more problems. I have one each in 12 and 16, wouldn't be without them.

The other option is to get a 600jr in 16ga and use the Supersizer with it. You can generally find a 600 used for not much $.

Here are a couple links to gander at. If you look more you may find better deals.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MEC-600-Jr-Reloading-Press-Set-up-For-16-Gauge/302604884411?hash=item4674a819bb:g:c2QAAOSwp7FaXjOA

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/00059812016/sizemaster-16-gauge-single-stage-press

http://www.gamaliel.com/mecloaders/mec_sizemaster.asp

Best of luck to you!

Greg

byrdog
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:18 am  Reply with quote

Do new shells chamber ? If not I have a 16 ga chamber reamer if you would like to borrow it. If the new shells do chamber than a PW loader may be the answer. They use full length sizing.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:41 pm  Reply with quote

byrdog wrote:
Do new shells chamber ? If not I have a 16 ga chamber reamer if you would like to borrow it. If the new shells do chamber than a PW loader may be the answer. They use full length sizing.

Yes, new shells/hulls chamber fine. I've mostly been shooting gamebore 2.5" shells in it, and the occasional 2 3/4" herters, but I don't want to make a habit of that for recoil reasons, since it has 2 9/16" chambers. I would consider lengthening the chambers, but that just makes me nervous.

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:54 pm  Reply with quote

Load Alls don't put all that much taper on the crimp which may be the problem. Try trimming the crimp off a empty hull,deprime and resize it then try it in your chamber. If it goes in smoothly you can solve your problem by LIGHTLY running a roll crimper on the finished crimp. Been there done that.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:01 am  Reply with quote

Ohio Wirehair wrote:
Load Alls don't put all that much taper on the crimp which may be the problem. Try trimming the crimp off a empty hull,deprime and resize it then try it in your chamber. If it goes in smoothly you can solve your problem by LIGHTLY running a roll crimper on the finished crimp. Been there done that.

+ 1 I do the roll crimp thing on all hunting loads especially for my autos
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:33 pm  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:
Ohio Wirehair wrote:

Thanks, I'll try that. They are tight for the full length though, from base to crimp. Sounds like I need to pony up for a sizemaster though regardless.

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:00 pm  Reply with quote

I went from a Lee to a new 600 and am very happy with it. You'd be surprised how quick it can be. And don't let anyone tell you it doesn't do a good job of resizing cause it does. I load for 4 different 16 gauge guns and the shells drop right in all of them. Would recommend a powder baffle though.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:02 pm  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan wrote:
fn16ga wrote:
Ohio Wirehair wrote:

Thanks, I'll try that. They are tight for the full length though, from base to crimp. Sounds like I need to pony up for a sizemaster though regardless.

If the crimp is tight the whole shell will feel tight.