16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Merkel 1620 still in production??
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:30 am  Reply with quote

Ray-citori wrote:
What is that behind the trigger guard?

The back of the trigger. Laughing
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:34 am  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:
Nice gun but its missing a trigger and 2 inches of barrels

Info on the 40E states double triggers are standard. SST is optional. The site also lists a 1620EL. Price is $8295. Anyone got a spare $8K you can front me? Very Happy
Beagle
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:16 pm  Reply with quote

Hopefully they are still being made. About ten years ago I saw my first one in llBean’s in Freeport Me. Fell in love instantly but even tho they had it in stock for a long time they wouldn’t budge on price. Bought another one elsewhere for almost a grand less. That one has a stock that matches perfectly the stock on my 20 ga Merkel.

The 20 ga has case colors, the 1620 coin finish. Just 2 days ago I took them to New England Custom to have the case colors removed and the receiver polished to match that of the 1620. They really gonna look slick!

That 1620 has become my favorite gun. It handles brilliantly and is deadly!

If only Merkels had articulated front triggers...

Frank

Drahts&Birds
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

Hello, Semi-new here. Nice site. Re: Merkel 1620EL, in my opinion it would be better to get an earlier model, say pre- 2013 as Merkel's production methods changed around that time. CNC machining, laser cut checkering and engraving that I believe is laser etched and then hand enhanced by an engraver.

I've owned a 1620EL for many years and purchased a hand-picked 147EL 20 gauge direct from Merkel in 2013 to complement it. Being accustomed to the 1620 the differences in manufacturing were evident. Beautiful gun but I never could get a connection with that gun. Sold it a year later and recently replaced it with a 1997 147E 20 gauge, purchased new, never assembled and stored since then. Old school Merkel and I won't be selling it! Just some thoughts.....Cheers!
Drahts&Birds
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:44 pm  Reply with quote

Well, speaking of 1620EL's, this beauty popped up a few days ago. I contacted them to bring it in for inspection but it had sold very quickly. Understandable, nice price and looks like it has had very little use.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/shotguns/merkel-shotguns/merkel-1620-el-16-ga-.cfm?gun_id=100969275
gunsrus
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:12 am  Reply with quote

I was told the same .... no longer being made . I've already got mine .
Great gun , too bad .
Drahts&Birds
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:38 am  Reply with quote

Someone is doing a quick flip. The sold 1620 at Cabela's that I posted above has already been relisted on Guns International by the new owner. Still not a bad price. That gun hasn't seen much use at all. Manufactured June 2003.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/shotguns/merkel-shotguns/merkel-1620-el-lovely-16-gauge.cfm?gun_id=100974296
Drahts&Birds
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:40 am  Reply with quote

Oh! Just saw it's listed here in the for sale section. Someone should grab it.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:10 pm  Reply with quote

Straight stock, double trigger 1620 for sale over on SGW SXS for sale. Too many triggers and not enough POW for my preferences.

Buck MN
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:41 pm  Reply with quote

I happened to luck into a almost new 1620 recently with an English grip and single trigger for under $3000. This 1620 is the regular grade with the case colors. The previous owner had a pachmayr decelerator pad installed and the stock bent for a little cast for the right hand shooter. With the pad the gun weights 6lbs 7oz. I have the original butt plate with the gun if I want to switch back. The stock wasn't cut so it is around 15" LOP. What a slick gun, I would recommend one to anyone looking for a nice carrying 16 gauge that you can shoot any factory ammo through.