16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Resizing help?
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:24 am  Reply with quote

Ohio Wirehair wrote:
UncleDanFan wrote:
fn16ga wrote:
Ohio Wirehair wrote:
Load Alls don't put all that much taper on the crimp which may be the problem. Try trimming the crimp off a empty hull,deprime and resize it then try it in your chamber. If it goes in smoothly you can solve your problem by LIGHTLY running a roll crimper on the finished crimp. Been there done that.

+ 1 I do the roll crimp thing on all hunting loads especially for my autos

Thanks, I'll try that. They are tight for the full length though, from base to crimp. Sounds like I need to pony up for a sizemaster though regardless.

If the crimp is tight the whole shell will feel tight.

I tried the roll crimp idea on my fold crimped loads, and it did indeed help by about 80%. They are still snug, but at least I can chamber them now. Would a 600JR or Sizemaster eliminate this hull/crimp issue, and not just the brass, so I don't have to put every load through my roll crimper (although I do roll crimp a lot of my loads anyway)?

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:41 am  Reply with quote

It did for me with my 600 Jr. and I load Federal,Remington (mostly green hulls) with some Cheddite and Fios.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:44 am  Reply with quote

Mark are you saying the plastic part of the hull needs to be resize ? Not sure this is possible . Don't think any loading machine will do that .

Only time I had any chamber fit issues was if the metal base wasn't sized right or the the crimp had opened up and was sorta mushroomed at the end . Which both can be remedied fairly easy.

Just a suggestion, maybe you have plastic build up in your chambers . A wire bush on a drill and solvent should fix that.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:11 pm  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:
Mark are you saying the plastic part of the hull needs to be resize ? Not sure this is possible . Don't think any loading machine will do that .

Only time I had any chamber fit issues was if the metal base wasn't sized right or the the crimp had opened up and was sorta mushroomed at the end . Which both can be remedied fairly easy.

Just a suggestion, maybe you have plastic build up in your chambers . A wire bush on a drill and solvent should fix that.

Thanks, I'll try that. I'm using hulls that were fired in a different gun with looser chambers, so they may have expanded a bit too. I'll try some fresh hulls and start from scratch, and get a better loader as well, and I'm sure that will probably do the trick.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
gjw
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:17 pm  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan wrote:
Ohio Wirehair wrote:
UncleDanFan wrote:
fn16ga wrote:
Ohio Wirehair wrote:
Load Alls don't put all that much taper on the crimp which may be the problem. Try trimming the crimp off a empty hull,deprime and resize it then try it in your chamber. If it goes in smoothly you can solve your problem by LIGHTLY running a roll crimper on the finished crimp. Been there done that.

Thanks, I'll try that. They are tight for the full length though, from base to crimp. Sounds like I need to pony up for a sizemaster though regardless.

I tried the roll crimp idea on my fold crimped loads, and it did indeed help by about 80%. They are still snug, but at least I can chamber them now. Would a 600JR or Sizemaster eliminate this hull/crimp issue, and not just the brass, so I don't have to put every load through my roll crimper (although I do roll crimp a lot of my loads anyway)?

Hi Mark, yes it will. You'll be able to taper the crimp end and also resize the brass. If your hull is bulging in the middle, then you may have a problem with the components of your load.

Best of luck to you!

Greg

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:59 pm  Reply with quote

gjw wrote:
UncleDanFan wrote:
Ohio Wirehair wrote:
UncleDanFan wrote:
fn16ga wrote:
Ohio Wirehair wrote:

Hi Mark, yes it will. You'll be able to taper the crimp end and also resize the brass. If your hull is bulging in the middle, then you may have a problem with the components of your load.

Best of luck to you!

Greg

Thanks Greg!

putz463
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:05 am  Reply with quote

Another vote for Sizemaster's, (use 3 in 20, 16 & 10ga) great presses and the collet resizer is much easier on the hull and hand/arm/elbow/shoulder/etc.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:01 pm  Reply with quote

Shiny new press and dies are always nice, but before you spend more of your hard earned paycheck, you may want to first try a couple no-cost tactics:
1. Wrap some steel wool around a 12ga bore mop and spin it in the chambers with a drill.
2. After final crimp, spin the shell 45 deg in the holder and push it through the crimper again, and repeat another 4 or 5 times. It's a poormans crimp finisher and adds a little more taper.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:36 pm  Reply with quote

I will try that. Thanks very much.

Btw, did you hunt Willapa this year? I did once, did ok. Might be going out one last time this weekend.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:06 pm  Reply with quote

I didn't make it to Willapa but am considering a local outing this week. I will stay off the rivers because of high water but should be plenty of floodwaters to toss a few dekes into.

Good luck if you decide to head out.

B.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:09 am  Reply with quote

Brewster11 says:
Quote:
After final crimp, spin the shell 45 deg in the holder and push it through the crimper again, and repeat another 4 or 5 times. It's a poormans crimp finisher and adds a little more taper.

I do this too. I only repeat once or twice max, but it seems to help when using a MEC 600.

Thanks,
Tony
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:28 pm  Reply with quote

I started to having problems with my mod 12's 16's coming out of the chamber hard with Herters. Then with me cheddite hulls. Not no trouble in my citori's. Checking dimensions on the hulls after fired I all guns.
All checked same on expansion. Chambers were a couple thousands different but after resize went into my older guns a little snug but no effort to push them in. So i used my calipers and checked right under the rim. That ck at .740 to .738. But checking the brass at the edge of the plastic was .740 to .743 of fired hulls. So i measured new stuff which measure .736 under edge of rim and .730 at edge of brass near edge of plastic.
So i readjusted my supersizer to squeeze under the rim to .736. After resize the edge of brass measured .730. Reloaded a few . Went out and fired them. No problem with ejection. Will try more at the range but I think this will take care of the problem. Remember though these are steel not brass.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:33 am  Reply with quote

Hammer bill wrote:
I started to having problems with my mod 12's 16's coming out of the chamber hard with Herters. Then with me cheddite hulls. Not no trouble in my citori's. Checking dimensions on the hulls after fired I all guns.
All checked same on expansion. Chambers were a couple thousands different but after resize went into my older guns a little snug but no effort to push them in. So i used my calipers and checked right under the rim. That ck at .740 to .738. But checking the brass at the edge of the plastic was .740 to .743 of fired hulls. So i measured new stuff which measure .736 under edge of rim and .730 at edge of brass near edge of plastic.
So i readjusted my supersizer to squeeze under the rim to .736. After resize the edge of brass measured .730. Reloaded a few . Went out and fired them. No problem with ejection. Will try more at the range but I think this will take care of the problem. Remember though these are steel not brass.

Thank you! I sent my barrels off to Mike Orlen to have the chambers/forcing cones lengthened, so I can buy more off the shelf ammo, although a supersizer definitely seems like the way to go also.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:31 am  Reply with quote

Ordered a super sizer today based on all the feedback. Thanks for all the help here! Very Happy

3birddogs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:00 am  Reply with quote

Some guns just have tighter tolerances than others, i use an old Mec 600 loading both 2 3/4" and 2 1/2" shells with a short kit(BTW, that short kit plate also works just fine on my 12 and 20 Mec600s when I want to load short shells in those guages.) My Ithaca 4E 16 circa 1928, is very finicky, my reloads may jam in the chamber if I try to force them in--but those same reloads just drop right into all my old Parkers, Foxes, Lefevers, etc, without a hiccup. My Rizzini 600 much prefers factory loads, and my reloads may Jam. Simple solution, since the 4E and Rizzini are fluid steel and more modern, I shoot factory loads thru them and then reload those hulls, generally 7/8 oz for the older guns. Would be interesting to see how much tighter the chambers are on the Ithaca and Rizzini compared to the others.
Mark , is it just that one Husky that gives you problems?