16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Franchi Instinct SL 16ga
William J. siefert
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:30 pm  Reply with quote

If one can believe the Franchi wed site, they are now offering the aluminum framed, Instinct SL, in 16ga. 28" barrels, P.O.W. stock, flush fitting chokes IC, M, F, and a weight of 5.8 lbs. Single selective trigger, auto eject, auto safety and hard case. If the weight actually comes in at what they advertise, it might make a nice upland gun. MSRP something like $1729.

Bill
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:33 pm  Reply with quote

Good catch Bill Smile

https://www.franchiusa.com/instinct-sl-over-and-under-shotgun

New!
28″ AA-Grade Satin Walnut 44.25″ 5.8 lbs. $1,729

double vision
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

Interesting! Nice to see another 16 ga. O/U on the market.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

If they made that in a 16ga sxs version at that price point, with double triggers, straight grip, and screw in chokes, that would be amazing and very tempting.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
William J. siefert
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:36 pm  Reply with quote

In Europe, Franchi markets a SxS. Straight stock, splinter fore end in many barrel lengths. However it wouldn't work for you. It comes with one trigger and in every gauge except 16. They did run some 12 and 20 gauge SxS guns into the US a couple years back but my guess is they didn't catch on. I handled a couple and they weren't bad.

Still, if like some of us, you can abide an O/U with only one trigger, P.O.W. stock and those silly auto ejectors, the new offering might be worth a look.
Ray-citori
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:39 am  Reply with quote

Fair Rizzini Iside - 16 ga. 28" choke tubes. Straight Stock. Here is a very nice 16 ga side by side on it's own frame size. The action is scalloped on the this gun and has a rounded design. The finish is done in a deep rich case coloring. Here is a really nice 16 ga. by one of Italy's premier makers. This gun has a long tang trigger guard and very attractive wood with an oil finish. A traditional upland gun with double triggers, straight stock and a splinter forearm. Other pictures on request. New. (1 3/8 x 2 1/4 x 15 * 6 lb 4 oz)
picture#1 | picture#2 | picture#3 | picture#4
Gun #LL-03-07
$1,795
Here you go Uncledanfan, Quality Arms dot com. in the o/u section for some reason
16'er
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:50 pm  Reply with quote

My lady friend has the SL 20ga. With 26” barrels and a shortened stock it is extremely lightweight. With moderate 3/4oz loads it is very manageable for her. The gun was very tight to open and close new. Overall it’s a nice gun. Wood fit is nice as well as finish.

I was looking at twenty eight ga guns, and decided the lighter 20 loaded down would suit her better. Fiocchi 3/4 oz loads can be bought for equal or less than 28ga shells.

A friend at the club has the 12ga SL, and he shoots moderate 1oz loads. I kid him he has a overbored 16ga.

They are nice guns, and I’m excited about one in 16ga. I’d prefer a straight stock, 26” barrels, and double triggers. With that combo, I’d put money down today. They really need something to make it stand out against the 12 and 20ga offerings.
16'er
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:12 pm  Reply with quote

Pic does not show extended tubes. Specs are thin so wonder if it’s flush tubes or fixed chokes??

Btw the tubes that come with the gun are made in Italy. The tubes franchi sells here are made in the states via contract. So if you want to add a skeet or cylinder tube, it won’t match the set that comes with the gun. So you either have to live with them not matching or buy any tubes you want to make up a full matching set.

There have been some reports of poorly machined choke threads in the barrels and tight/poor fitting chokes in the 12 and 20 on SGW. Hopefully this has been sorted out.
studdog
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:45 am  Reply with quote

Great info Bill. I'm going to order one! George

TripleH
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:14 am  Reply with quote

I had the Instinct L in 20 gauge. I only had it for a season, but it fit me well, was a nice easy carry, everyone who handled and shot it were impressed with it, especially at the price point.

Only sold it as it just didn't have much of a future outside the safe with my growing collection of 16's. (Funny by the way how 'they' always claim the 3" 20 gauge was such a contributor to the demise of the 16, for me it seems to be exact opposite Smile )

These seem like they'd offer a more affordable and easier to find alternative to the Feathers for those looking for a <6lb OU.

Rob
William J. siefert
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:37 am  Reply with quote

16'er

If you click on the extended choke tube icon in the standard features section of the Franchi Instinct SL page, it come up with a note that the 16ga choke tubes are flush fit.

I prefer flush fit tubes but that's just me. Hope it isn't a deal breaker for you. Who knows, they or someone else may offer extended tubes in the future.

Bill
studdog
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:59 am  Reply with quote

The only advantage to extended tubes is quick change. Appearance wise the flush look better on a bird gun to me. Although I would use this gun for both clays and hunting birds. It does look like limited choice on tubes?

Ray-citori
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:27 pm  Reply with quote

Anyone have a clue when they will be available (The Franchi)
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:08 pm  Reply with quote

studdog wrote:
The only advantage to extended tubes is quick change. Appearance wise the flush look better on a bird gun to me. Although I would use this gun for both clays and hunting birds. It does look like limited choice on tubes?

Found another advantage to extended tubes today... barrel protection. Was in the duck blind and decided to swap out my skeet/IC chokes on Cynergy (steel #3) for a mod/full and shoot some bismuth reloads I had.

Couldn't get the top barrel choke out or in very easily, determined I had dinged to edge of barrel crown against something making it very tight on the choke there. Was able to tap the choke and get it to slide down in and thread without issue... however, extended chokes would have protected the end of the barrel from that little ding.

And on a Camo Cynergy, I don't think flush OR extended make a difference to making it look better, it's pretty much a lost cause heh. But I do love that gun's coating protection when splashing around in the water and mud with decoys.
pbeaver
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:45 pm  Reply with quote

16'er wrote:
Pic does not show extended tubes. Specs are thin so wonder if it’s flush tubes or fixed chokes??

Btw the tubes that come with the gun are made in Italy. The tubes franchi sells here are made in the states via contract. So if you want to add a skeet or cylinder tube, it won’t match the set that comes with the gun. So you either have to live with them not matching or buy any tubes you want to make up a full matching set.

There have been some reports of poorly machined choke threads in the barrels and tight/poor fitting chokes in the 12 and 20 on SGW. Hopefully this has been sorted out.

The web site says flush chokes for the 16 ga, extended for the 12 & 20.