16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Opinion on Remington Model 31's
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:38 am  Reply with quote

I currently have three 16's: a Win. model 37 in full which I never use, a Rem. 11 24" which sees occasional back-up and emergency use and a model 12 I've been using quite a lot which I'm trying to get good enough with for it to be my main dove and sometimes duck gun. I was raised on a hard to beat extremely light weight and well balanced 12 ga. o/u so the model 12 transition is a bit difficult but I really like it and want to learn to shoot it well.

I'm curious if anybody has any knowledge or opinion on a 16 ga. Rem 31 standard weight. I became interested in them while shopping for my model 12 and was impressed with their smooth functioning but bought a model 12 instead as over all I liked it's handling and balance better. The 31 fit me well so now I'm thinking about picking one up just to have and use as a "classic" back-up or a dove gun if it turns out that I shoot it better than the model 12. I missed out on the one I saw orginally and it was only $250 and in good shape, which I thought was a good deal.

I think I heard once that 31's were prone to breaking a particular part (possibly extractors?). Any thoughts?

Thanks.
tommyt
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:23 pm  Reply with quote

I love them. I have a dozen or so including 5 or 6 TC's. They also made some with aluminum receivers= light weight
popplecop
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:54 pm  Reply with quote

Excellent shotguns, sure wish I could find one in a 16. See 12s and a few 20s, but no 16s.
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:55 pm  Reply with quote

Very smooth gun. BTW, there are two 16's over on Auction Arms site right now. Best -B- Smile
jerry
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:45 am  Reply with quote

This is my one and only 16. I love it. Will never part with it Exclamation

[/img]
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:58 am  Reply with quote

Truly a priceless design-note to model 12 guys-look at this gun to see just where a safety belongs.

Use that gun in good health!
Best,
Ted
jmeili
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:32 am  Reply with quote

The part that used to break most often on a 31 was the operating rod between the forend and receiver. That was back in the days of paper shells when they would get wet, swellup and stick. Should have no problems with todays shells. Very smooth action, mostly machined parts and as a rule you well find a bit fancier wood on a field grade 31 than you would find on a model 12.
NE16
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:01 pm  Reply with quote

Ted Schefelbein wrote:
Truly a priceless design-note to model 12 guys-look at this gun to see just where a safety belongs.

Use that gun in good health!
Best,
Ted

Actually, I've never had a problem with the location of the safety on a Model 12..........
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:23 pm  Reply with quote

Browning A5s had a very similar safety location when they first came out. John Browning figured out that mistake real quick, and changed it, putting the safety back where it belonged, just like on a model 31.

Winchester never did. For some reason, the part that breaks in the Winchester model 12 is the firing pin, and if its broken it can hang up in the forward (firing position) which causes the gun to fire on closing, before the gun is locked up, which, is a bad deal. I've seen it, or, rather the results of it happening, and don't need to see a repeat.

Keep the model 12. Use it in great health. But, it ain't a model 31. Not by any measure, including, ahem, value, since a great old model 31 will set you back far less than a model 12. I'm glad folks fawn over just about anything with the Winchester on it, as it leaves the better stuff priced where a guy can actually consider it a tool, rather than an investment.

By the way, the stroke of a 31's pump is shorter than a model 12's. Yea, I said better.
Best,
Ted
NE16
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:31 pm  Reply with quote

I guess I’m a lucky guy; I’ve never had a problem with the location of the safety or a broken firing pin on any of the M12s I’ve used over the past 35 years.

The safety thing is more a matter of what you get accustomed to using as anything else and I’m used to the location of the safety in front of the trigger guard. If I’d shot nothing but shotguns with the safety to the rear it would probably feel awkward to me.

I would have thought if anyone was going to have firing pin trouble it would be me as the Model 12s I prefer are the older ones (because of the stock design) many of which have had a lot of rounds through them. Maybe it’s because of the way I’ve maintained these shotguns but so far I’ve not had a broken firing pin (of course after writing this I’ll have one the next time I go out).

As for the stroke length I’ve never really thought about that when using a pump gun, for all of me you could very well be right about the Model 31 having a shorter stroke. It really doesn’t matter to me as the M31 just doesn’t fit me as well or point as well as the early Model 12s.

Your right, I’m glad not everyone likes the same shotgun; differences make the world an interesting place.

Happy shooting.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:24 am  Reply with quote

Well, that being the case, maybe you could score a sweet deal on one of those early A5s with the similar safety location, in 16 gauge of course. Not many folks care for that safety style on an A5, but, if anyone could get used to it, it would be someone familiar with a model 12. Happy hunting!
Best,
Ted
NE16
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:26 pm  Reply with quote

Ted Schefelbein wrote:
Well, that being the case, maybe you could score a sweet deal on one of those early A5s with the similar safety location, in 16 gauge of course. Not many folks care for that safety style on an A5, but, if anyone could get used to it, it would be someone familiar with a model 12. Happy hunting!
Best,
Ted

TED Shocked ..........You are evil..... I do not need another addiction to go with my M12, AR15, 1911, and almost every other firearm made addiction.

My luck I'd find an A5 like it and then think I'd need a couple more of those, you know.... just in case.

But maybe you are right.......what could it hurt to look....nothing wrong with looking right? Very Happy

(hey everyone we are closing in on September 1 and the OPENING OF DOVE SEASON) Very Happy
pumpgun
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:07 pm  Reply with quote

Although I'm an M12 fanatic, I agree with Ted's comments on the M12's safety. However, I just installed a Williams giant head safety on my 20g M12, and I think I like it better than my 870's safety (behind trigger). I think the problem with the M12 safety is not so much its location, but that it's small, and tucked into a recess. Have a nuline enlarged safety on order for my 16. Cool
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:27 am  Reply with quote

[quote="grouse gunner"]I currently have three 16's: a Win. model 37 in full which I never use, a Rem. 11 24" which sees occasional back-up and emergency use and a model 12 I've been using quite a lot which I'm trying to get good enough with for it to be my main dove and sometimes duck gun. I was raised on a hard to beat extremely light weight and well balanced 12 ga. o/u so the model 12 transition is a bit difficult but I really like it and want to learn to shoot it well.

GG, why pester your head. Try a 16 ga. Browning citori. It is both light at about 6-1/2 lbs, and about the best balanced field model O/U Browning ever put out. They just happened to get this one darn near perfect. I'm sure that was not planned but just serendipity. However, for an O/U guy like you, it might be perfect.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:42 pm  Reply with quote

I've never had a problem with the Model 12's safety, its quality, its pointability, its durability or its popularity. Go to a gun show carrying a nice one, and you're guaranteed to spark an interest (even if no one brings cash, they sure like to admire the Model 12's.) The 16 gauge Model 12's in good original condition are about the best it gets, hands down. Given proper---or probably even not so proper care, they'll last a lifetime or longer. Steve Grooms said it best, years ago in a book entitled "The Modern Pheasant Hunter"--he remarked that the 16 ga. Model 12 is as honest and potent a pheasant gun as was ever made, or words to that effect.....if you own one, enjoy it !