16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  New or used?
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:10 pm  Reply with quote

This is a question for those of you that have both new and used 16's. Do you feel that the investment in a new 16 is/was worth it, from a versatility/ammo standpoint? As someone who has lost count of how many old guns I've worked on, they do have an allure and romance all their own. But, I can see the value of a new gun too, especially in today's no-tox environment, and when time constraints for tinkering with old guns and reloading are a factor.

Last edited by UncleDanFan on Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:16 pm  Reply with quote

Well. I like mine
Pumps
Autos
SXS
O/Us
What fun, what fun
No lever or single shot 16s in my accumulation

I am RETIRED, no time constraints Smile

As far a new, with steel number 6 or smaller, no issues with open choked guns.
But for duck, geese, and cranes, I go new and often to a larger gauge.

Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ray-citori
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:28 pm  Reply with quote

Because of Non-tox I lean towards new. The thought of bulging the barrel of a classic old twice barrel just keeps me up at night.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:11 pm  Reply with quote

From the versatility aspect, I prefer the older doubles - because the uses for a 16 are primarily upland birds and clay birds. Lead can be used for both and when not allowed, bismuth/Nice/Classic may be used without concerns of barrel damage. Getting into waterfowl, I go to a 12 ga, which also are old SxS, but in those cases I use larger Tungsten Matrix or Bismuth, so still avoiding the damage issue. With the expanded choices on No-tox ammo, I see no need to go with a new shotgun.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:41 pm  Reply with quote

I do most of my bird hunting with 16 ga SXS's I acquired new. The big exception is my BSA Classic that I bought lightly used and ended up being my go to gun for a lot of years after getting Briley to install their thinwall chokes. The rest were purchased new to hunt with, not as an investment. I've never been one to do a cost/benefit analysis on a gun before I purchase it, but in hindsight, only three of the nine 16 ga SXS's I own were purchased used, so six were purchased new. I have never had any remorse on any of my new gun purchases, although some get used a lot more than the others. Were the new guns worth it? For me it has never even been a question of "worth it". I wanted them and could afford them and now I have them.

cowdoc87
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:01 pm  Reply with quote

New for waterfowl- synthetic big bore guns that have to suffer through rain and mud and wet dogs. The rest for upland birds are mostly smaller bore, used, and older doubles, and maybe an old pumper.

gunsrus
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

cowdoc87 wrote:
New for waterfowl- synthetic big bore guns that have to suffer through rain and mud and wet dogs. The rest for upland birds are mostly smaller bore, used, and older doubles, and maybe an old pumper.

This ^^^^
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:32 am  Reply with quote

I only shoot 100's of clay targets with my 16's and I prefer new guns with a factory that can help should I have issues. My experience with older guns was not good. They didn't hold up to the usage and springs would fail-always at a bad time.

BTW-I am not anti-hunting, but just prefer clays!

canvasback
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:34 am  Reply with quote

AmericanMeet wrote:
From the versatility aspect, I prefer the older doubles - because the uses for a 16 are primarily upland birds and clay birds. Lead can be used for both and when not allowed, bismuth/Nice/Classic may be used without concerns of barrel damage. Getting into waterfowl, I go to a 12 ga, which also are old SxS, but in those cases I use larger Tungsten Matrix or Bismuth, so still avoiding the damage issue. With the expanded choices on No-tox ammo, I see no need to go with a new shotgun.

This is pretty close to my outlook. Although I do have 16 gauge TM at the ready.

Mostly because I will NEVER be able to afford new the quality of SxS I shoot regularly by buying used. I'm not in the accumulation game to make money from guns. They are to be used, mostly hunting.

I buy each gun because it appeals to me, for whatever reason and then I spend the money to ensure the gun is in as good condition as possible when I begin to shoot with it. Not for everyone but when I buy one, among other things, the barrels are carefully examined for barrel wall thickness and the stock is refinished and glass bedded. Ensuring that's done gives me the knowledge to judge accurately what loads CAN or SHOULD be shot out of each gun.

I shoot guns regularly that if purchased new today today would cost in the tens of thousands of dollars to get equivalent quality. And the most I have in any one gun, including purchase and rehab, is around $5K....most more like $2-3K.

I'm playing the Ferrari game on a Mustang budget. Very Happy

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:17 am  Reply with quote

Great replies, thanks. I've only had used, and have been wondering if the versatility of a new sxs with tubes would be nice, since I would always have one gun in the safe I never have to worry about, that doesn't need to be worked on, upgraded, special ammo purchased/reloaded for, etc. That said, I'm currently going all in on my Husky 100 16ga hammer gun, having Mike Orlen lengthen the chambers, and I just sent out the metal to be re-case colored. It will be amazing when it's all done. Fun with guns! Very Happy

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
byrdog
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:39 am  Reply with quote

I have a Citori and a Dickenson as new. the rest of my 30-odd 16ns are old guns tat I restocked and brought back from the scrap pile. I find the guns I have put back into service the most fun to shoot.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:48 am  Reply with quote

I have old and new 16 gauge shotguns......I like the new ones better. Mostly because they are capable of being shot with any type shot and payload weight.

........and I can modify them to fit me and I don't have to worry about 'ruining' anything with the modification.

The old guns are fun but the new guns get used.

sneem
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:29 pm  Reply with quote

I only have used 16's. A 1919 Sterlingworth, a 1950 Remington 11-48 and a 1959 Sweet 16. I consider myself blessed. None will ever see steel. For waterfowl I have an SBE 12 gauge 3 1/2 inch. I don't use it for upland and I don't take the 16's to the marsh. As they say, horses for courses.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:36 pm  Reply with quote

I believe in used but not used up cars, women, and guns. Let the first owner absorb the brand new toy cost of admission. Most folks trade off or up, because they get bored or don't do real well with their new toys. So they end up getting rid of them too soon (this ie especially true for the used women). Laughing
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:19 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
I believe in used but not used up cars, women, and guns. Let the first owner absorb the brand new toy cost of admission. Most folks trade off or up, because they get bored or don't do real well with their new toys. So they end up getting rid of them too soon (this ie especially true for the used women). Laughing

I'm guessing you are speaking from experience. Cool