16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  IMR Red/Green powder
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:36 pm  Reply with quote

Got some samples then went on website for data".Comparable burn rate to the competition"is this a lawyer way of saying IMR Red and Red Dot can use the same recipe?Thanks
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:26 pm  Reply with quote

When I compared the IMR recipes to my Alliant loading data booklet, well that question answered itself. If I remember right, everything was identical, but check the sites to be sure.

fred lauer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:59 pm  Reply with quote

The only difference that I noticed between Green Dot and IMR green was that the IMR seemed to burn a bit more dirty. I got 8 lbs at a good price from a friend last summer because he didn't care for the burnt flakes in the bore.

Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:00 pm  Reply with quote

hoashooter wrote:
Got some samples then went on website for data".Comparable burn rate to the competition"is this a lawyer way of saying IMR Red and Red Dot can use the same recipe?Thanks

Use the data at Hodgdon... but all their original data was a 100% data-mine copy from the Alliant website. Pretty sure they stated many times at the start of their marketing that you could use the recipes from comparable Alliant powder... but since they just flat out copied ALL those recipes, then it is really a moot point right? Just look up the IMR Red recipe you want to use on Hodgdon.com and then you have no issues. And since they copied every recipe I could find for Green and Blue (I only spent 2 hours looking though), you should be able to find what you want.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:47 pm  Reply with quote

Keep in mind that the IMR powders are a little denser. With IMR Green I had to drop 2 bushing sizes to get the same weight. (19 grns.) as Green Dot.
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:11 pm  Reply with quote

Ohio Wirehair wrote:
Keep in mind that the IMR powders are a little denser. With IMR Green I had to drop 2 bushing sizes to get the same weight. (19 grns.) as Green Dot.

The powders are copies/clones made by General Dynamics Valleyfield Ontario plant. They aren't exactly the same as Alliant powders in every aspect such as Bulk Capacity as you noted, burn rate is copied as close as they could come.
The Valleyfield plant was where IMR PB, SR7625 and SR 4756 were made, personally I think Hodgdon did the reloading community a great disservice when they discontinued production of these powders, Valleyfield still has the capacity to make the SR powders Hodgdon just didn't like them.