16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  The fabulous Remington Model 31
dannypratt
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:34 pm  Reply with quote

Fellas,

I just picked up my 2nd Remington Model 31 16ga....

I had a 31L, and a few years back when my daughter was born, I had to let it go. It did however go to very capable hands that belonged to our forum. However, that 31L was the slickest pumping, sharpest pointing, pump-gun I'd ever shucked....and I am a devotee to the Ithaca 37....but that 31L....

So a few months ago I got a call from my local shop (owner is my hunting partner in all feathered adventures) informing me that a Remington 31, 16ga, 28 or 26 bbl'd repeater had just come in from a recently departed patrons family. This particular gun had been sold to said patron, new, in the late 30's or early 40's, and had seen regular yearly cleanings at the shop for the last 70+ years....My friend had known the previous owner since he started at that same shop in 1972, cleaning guns and checking inventory logs, and chatting up every serious bird hunter who came thru the door, the previous owner regularly included.
He said he didn't want much for the gun, he'd hold it for me in the back until I got down there, and no rush, as he may keep it for himself.

I walked in the shop 40 minutes later, stepped behind the counter, ambled down the stairs to the hold rack and spotted it right off. And spotted the 26" barrel right off as well. I casually walked back up the stairs, got back on the customer side of the counter, laid the pump-gun on the counter and calmly asked for one of those firearm forms to fill out, and a pen please, and what's the date, here's my drivers license, sign where now, and would you have any nice canvas cases that would fit this beauty?

I must say, it's a beauty indeed, and very well kept all these years.

All original finish on stocks and metal, rates at a high 95%, no pits, no freckles, mirror 26" bore choked cylinder, measures out to I/C, all steel receiver, no tang of any kind, and a very interesting takedown device that you simply depress and turn 1/4 turn then release and turn barrel 1/4 turn for removal. An old Whippet pad had been installed when the gun was purchased, the length of pull shortened by about 1/8 inch, however it fits perfectly.
Perfection.

My 31L sported a 28" modified barrel, and was 98% perfect, completely unmodified in any way. It was a deadly squirrel gun, but a little tight for grouse and woodcock. But she cycled like greased lightning. This 31 is every bit as nice, but with the steel receiver, it has an unmistakable feel to it that just says class all the way thru the brush. The 26" barrel handles like a dream and points like a wand. It won't be hard to wear a smile heading into the tag alders with this one.

bbrown
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:58 am  Reply with quote

This is an exceptional post. Thank you for sharing!

1 Tim 1:15
Coyote Crusader
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:33 am  Reply with quote

Enjoy, Thanks for sharing!

Savage16
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:52 am  Reply with quote

Danny, You didn't include any pictures, but through your words, we can see your #^*+ eatin grin from here! Wink Sounds like a great score. Good for you.

Baden Powell
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:56 am  Reply with quote

Danny, congratulations on your new family member. I just joined the 31 Club a few weeks ago and can't wait to get some barrel work done and refinish the stock. Mine has that same silky action, but I'll bet it will be even slicker with a deep cleaning.
dannypratt
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:58 pm  Reply with quote

BP,
Mine too needs a serious cleaning...I don't think it had seen the light of day in 15 years...not so much dirty I guess as, alot of dried oil and fabric fluff congealed in it.

S16,
I'd like to post some pics here, I'm not very good at the technical end of it...this is serious higher learning just logging in here!

Researcher
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:06 am  Reply with quote

Congrats on a great find. I have a government marked 12-gauge with that style take-down which unfortunately went through a mass service at some military depot and the receiver, barrel and trigger group all have different serial numbers and the stock is for a 1941 version gun! But, the barrel is a 26-inch improved cylinder with a solid rib that I couldn't pass up. The receiver dates to July 1940 while the barrel dates to January 1941.

My 16-gauge has the earlier style take down and dates to early 1936, when the Model 31A "Standard" Grade still came with checkered wood, but it is a 28-inch Full, .032" choke, so doesn't get out much.