16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Front sight beads?
studdog
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:21 am  Reply with quote

Never see the bead when shooting and don't want to. I like a small white bead for the way it looks on the gun.

rudyc
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:28 am  Reply with quote

"Never see the bead when shooting and don't want to. I like a small white bead for the way it looks on the gun."

this:::

jschultz
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:53 am  Reply with quote

When I first learned to shoot I was taught the follow through method and was told to keep my eye on the bird.

Several years ago my eldest daughter worked for TWA and was based in Paris. Dad, Moi, was able to fly anywhere TWA went just for the taxes.

I used that privilege to plan a grouse hunting/fly fishing trip trip to Scotland and stopped in Paris to visit my daughter and her husband.

My son in-law took me to the Paris gun club and introduced me to Michael the owner who had hunted grouse the previous year.

Michael got on the PA and invited the shooters for coffee and croissants and then took me out to shoot all of the clay games the club offered sans International Skeet.

At the time I had two 20 Ga. BSS's choked differently and shot the games good enough to impress Michael.

Michael offered me his 12 Ga.O/U to use for International Skeet and as I mounted the gun I discovered that the stock was bent "cast on" and there was no bead.

After a few shots, I managed break targets and was not deterred by the missing bead. Michael enjoyed his little joke and I discovered that a bead is not important to my shooting.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:02 pm  Reply with quote

I have used every "bead" out there including no bead at all. A few thoughts. A plain barrel gun certainly benefits from one. I have shot well with a bead-less double in the past. That said, the brain does subconsciously pick up the bead when you are not focusing on it( and you should focus on the target, not the bead) so it can be of use. All beads seem to work out about the same for me, thus I have found no advantage to any one bead over another.

On the safety side of things, I have long been opposed to an orange bead, ray-bar or otherwise. It is generally not good to train the brain to go ahead and pull the trigger when you see orange, especially when it resembles a hunter's orange hat in the distance.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:24 pm  Reply with quote

I recently had an interesting experience with this. I installed a large brass bead on a Husqvarna 12ga hammer gun that was much larger than the factory one, thinking I would be able to see it in low light better. Unfortunately, I was shooting poorly with the gun, and patterned it. I found out I was shooting high, about 70/30. I thought about lowering the comb, and then remembered I changed the bead. Out of curiosity, I re-installed the original (very small) bead, and voila, the gun is shooting dead on. Who knew?

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
jswanson
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:23 pm  Reply with quote

Ivory or as close as you can legally come to duplicating the look.

Joe

Gran16
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:38 am  Reply with quote

I like a small brass or silver bead. Don’t own any shotguns with anything else.
rdja
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:45 am  Reply with quote

Have a 12 ga Beretta semi auto that came with a green fiber optic sight. Fairly quickly I pull the fiber tube out of the bracket and shot with just the bracket. Was kind of nice having that small hole to focus through when trying to turkey shoot a cripple. Eventually the screw that held the bracket broke and the bracket fell off when I was cleaning it. Still have the bracket but never replaced, no bead at all and I shoot it as well as another gun. Like others I find myself making an occassional amazing shot and then someone asks me my lead, I have no idea where my barrel was. Just keep you face on the gun and let the mind take over.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:25 am  Reply with quote

Bob Brister used an interesting exercise to train people to point a shotgun rather than aim it, an important distinction when dealing with moving targets. The process was simple. The "student" was given a BB gun, with no sights whatsoever, and the target was a ping pong ball tossed out onto the ground. With practice it became possible to hit the ping pong ball with ease at ever increasing distances. Making the transition to moving targets was then vastly easier.

It was primarily a back yard endeavor that anyone could use as training in order to break the urge to aim, or line up with a sight if you will, the target in question. The crucial part of this is that it breaks the habit of focusing your attention on the gun and reinforces the habit of focusing intently on the target instead. It works.

goathoof
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:57 am  Reply with quote

Wyochucker - Thank you for reporting Brister's method; but for me to be clear, is the student shooting at the ball in the air? Or only when it is on the ground? I would like to use this for some young shooters in my area.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:23 pm  Reply with quote

Not in the air, just on the ground. The exercise is specifically about learning to point proficiently. Adding leads, target speeds, angles, etc. would only confuse matters. Swinging the gun effectively and learning these attributes comes afterward. Hope that clears things up a bit.

Nasty-G
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:18 pm  Reply with quote

I have seen this method & it works. They also do shoot at the ball in the air with astounding results.
studdog
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:02 am  Reply with quote

I like two small white beads for a different reason. First, I don't see them when I shoot. But, When I practice my gun mount with my eyes closed, I can check my eye alignment after the mount by looking at the two beads. FWIW

Gil S
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:00 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
Bob Brister used an interesting exercise to train people to point a shotgun rather than aim it, an important distinction when dealing with moving targets. The process was simple. The "student" was given a BB gun, with no sights whatsoever, and the target was a ping pong ball tossed out onto the ground. With practice it became possible to hit the ping pong ball with ease at ever increasing distances. Making the transition to moving targets was then vastly easier.

It was primarily a back yard endeavor that anyone could use as training in order to break the urge to aim, or line up with a sight if you will, the target in question. The crucial part of this is that it breaks the habit of focusing your attention on the gun and reinforces the habit of focusing intently on the target instead. It works.

When I went through basic training in the army, "Quick Kill" was the instinctive shooting method taught with sightless Daisy BB guns. The technique was developed by Lucky McDaniel. It involved pointing the gun at stationary targets on the ground, progressing to smaller and smaller metal disks thrown a few feet in front of the gun. Some of us were able to hit a thrown BB. Fast forward many decades and I was at an alumni event and was speaking to a woman who mentioned her father was Lucky McDaniel. She was amazed that I knew about her dad and was the beneficiary of his technique. I was equally amazed to meet his daughter. Gil
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:21 pm  Reply with quote

Oh great, now I have to start collecting straight grip bb guns. You guys are terrible!
Laughing

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."