16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Beretta SXS Id.
silverhawk
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:03 pm  Reply with quote

Years ago, I bought and sold some Beretta SXS shotguns. I always thought of them as Mod.470's, but just noticed mine is simply stamped "Silverhawk" with no additional markings. Found an original catalog listing the 1966 Silverhawk available in 12 and 16ga., IC/IM or M/F, retailing @$222.95. Bottom receiver bears a very simple engraved flying bird. Any info. appreciated, Beretta product/model identification was often a bit of a mystery to me (buying used).
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:31 pm  Reply with quote

Check the manfg. date. The mdl. 409 was around into the 1960's. It became the Silver Hawk. The 470 was introduced to celebrate the 470 th year Beretta had been making weapons. It has a gold etching of a hawk / eagle head. Some times the older Silver Hawk will have a 409 impressed in the forhand wood. I have always liked the older 409's.
Ron
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:32 pm  Reply with quote

Beretta 409

*Ron beat me to it!

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
silverhawk
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:58 pm  Reply with quote

Getting old! HA! I probably used to know that!? Thank you, yes, Model 409. From the early to mid 60's as I recall. I think I even have an old Galef price sheet here somewhere.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:25 am  Reply with quote

My old "Buxton's Guide to Foreign Firearms" shows that the Silver Hawk listed for $167.75 with double triggers and $179.75 with a ST in 1963. Basically a 409 tweaked for the American market (full PG and BT forend).

Pretty sure there never were any 16ga 470's. Matter of fact, I don't think there were any Beretta 16ga sxs imported after the 409 series guns went out of production. I do recall seeing one Beretta 16ga that appeared to be a GR-2, but it didn't carry an importer's name. It also had sling swivels, so I assumed someone bought it in Italy and brought it home.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:06 pm  Reply with quote

The Silverhawks are sort of sore spot of memory for me. Great guns, and they were cheap too, right up to the point when Beretta reintroduced them! Then, overnight, the prices on the old ones tripled and went up from there. I should have bought a few when they were $400 but was too darn poor back then. Still hurts.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:33 pm  Reply with quote

The only gun I ever regretted not buying was a 20 ga Beretta S686 "Special Field" stamped "L". It had fixed chokes and steel receiver, weighed 5 lbs and change, and yet was beautifully balanced and wasn't whippy. It was really an incredible gun, and the asking was only $990 or thereabouts, but I got greedy and lowballed it and they yanked it back out of my hands and put it back on the rack without a word. Ouch!

I guess the nicked up ugly bowling pin finish put me off, but in hindsight it was a huge mistake to walk away, as it might have made the best field and skeet gun ever...maybe.

The point is, the same gun in 16 might be awesome. But I haven't seen another example of a S686 "special field" since then in any gauge.

B.