16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Rusty, dog in action
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:12 pm  Reply with quote

If there is one thing that compliments a man's days afield, truly enriching them even beyond the 16 gauge in his hands, it is a well trained dog. The bond and relationship between hunter, dog ,and bird is a perfect triad. I have been privileged to find ways to be outdoors as a part of this equation most available days during the autumn and winter months. This means that Rusty and his freckled pink nose get to sniff much bird aroma.

Rusty has been a very valuable companion, doing what I ask of him and often so much more. I didn't know how well he was going to work out that first season. There were obstacles to overcome and he entered the picture at 8 months of age, only 6 weeks before bird season. Not much time to start from scratch.

His predecessor, Katie was slowing down fast at age 15. I didn't realize how critical his arrival was. Katie handled one hunt for blue grouse, barely. I buried her 11 days later. I never saw it coming, not that quick.

Rusty learned fast and as they say the light came on soon. The little rescue dog, yep he was an impound, has impressed me ever since. A canine partner that paces himself and hunts smart is a dream come true. So is a dog that will trail ground scent with the wind when necessary. Anyone who has ever owned a dog like that knows the joy. Day after day, he will eagerly search for birds and have enough stamina to be ready the next. I guess that is a small part of what makes me a "one dog" man most of the time. With further delay, I present some working shots.
[[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/53607_1000x703/] [/URL]]
[/[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/53608_512x768/] [/URL]]
[[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/53609_512x768/] [/URL]]
[/[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/53610_512x768/] [/URL]]
[[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/53611_512x768/] [/URL]][/img]

BarkeyVA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:56 pm  Reply with quote

Nice. Thanks for sharing. What breed (mix) is Rusty?

fourtrax
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:14 pm  Reply with quote

I have two in the kennel right now. Had three till time took it's toll.
All three turned into decent bird dogs.
I enjoy taking on someone else's discard and giving them the chance to be what they can.

Good on you for giving your dog a chance. He's paying you back many times over way
He hunts for you.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:55 pm  Reply with quote

Rusty is a Border Collie, my third. He is sometimes mistaken for a Nova Scotia Toller, due to his coat color. He is a sable coat. An interesting fact is that these dogs contributed to the mix that became the Toller.

BarkeyVA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:52 pm  Reply with quote

Border collies are very intelligent, but I had no idea they could be taught to trail, flush and retrieve birds.

Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:51 am  Reply with quote

I always enjoy reading about the exploits of Rusty and seeing photos of him in action. Always reminds me of the many years that I hunted with my briitany, Ginger, before old age finally took her after fourteen years.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
byrdog
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:48 am  Reply with quote

I have four Llewellyn Setters . Two are 11 yrs and are a pair of old grumpy, grumbly fellows with some arthritis . They just love to run and roll in the snow but when they come in they growl and complain to each other about the discomfort they feel. All four of them live for the bird hunt.
Rusty is a great dog from what I have read here about him. The one thing I regret about having great dogs is not taking EVERY opportunity to get them in the field.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:54 am  Reply with quote

I understand the sentiment byrdog, however I am not sure that it is possible to spend enough time. I do however know that it's impossible spend too much time afield with the dog(s). The more the better. I put in around 100 days per season. Some of it is waterfowl and I don't let Rusty stand in icy water and shiver later on in the year, but most of those 100 or so days he gets to do what he lives for. Some waterfowl mornings are still followed by upland afternoon hunts during the cold period.

That said, bird seasons are over and I am wishing I could get him out on some birds right now. Unfortunately this is the time of year when the birds start courting. Next comes nesting and brood rearing, so it will be a while before the bird fun returns for him.

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:19 pm  Reply with quote

Wyo, those pics only want to make me hunt!!

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:23 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah, me too. But in my case the wound is self inflicted.

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:54 am  Reply with quote

First, WyoChukar, Great Dog. Next, Really nice photos. Really clear and they show good action. Those are better action photos than most seen in hunting mags. Thanks!
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:08 am  Reply with quote

Amazing dog and amazing photographer.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:37 am  Reply with quote

Thanks. He does well and no dog is perfect, but he doesn't leave me wanting more. I think about the inevitability of getting a second dog someday, but I could happily hunt the rest of my days behind him as he is. Unfortunately, time and biology doesn't allow these things. Such is the plight of the "one dog" man.