16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Model 37 on the way, old is new again
sixteen gunz
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:05 pm  Reply with quote

Well I finally took the 16 gauge plunge and bought my first 16. I bid on and will receive in 2 days a Model 37 deluxe from the 70's. It was advertized as hardly used and rated 99.9%, so we'll see what shows up in the mail. The seller couldn't give me a weight as it was already boxed for shipment but should be around 6.5 lbs. The serial # is above 855,000 so I should be able to change the 30" full fixed barrel it's coming with. With dove season in 2 months and upland in Oregon in 3 months I'll be able to get my eye on and be ready, see ya out there.
sixteen gunz
________
Launch box vaporizer

Last edited by sixteen gunz on Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

Congratulations.

But let me warn you 16 gauge guns are adictive, kind of like eating peanuts once you start you cant stop. First start with a nice Model 37 then maybe a nice NID side by side, then maybe a Fox or Lefever then a, well you can imagine the rest. Soon you realize that you have got a monkey on your back. Very Happy
Parker Trojan
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:53 am  Reply with quote

That's how it worked for me: Ithaca 37= Janssen[guild gun]=Parker Trojan.
Cahoonje
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:15 am  Reply with quote

Dito congratulations!
Due to mostly weather patterns (drought, hurricanes, etc.) duck and dove took a nose dive here. Quail was long already on the decline. The draught opened sinkholes which dried up a few large lakes, but did bring a welcome...Snipe. Snipe are challenging on the dog as well as shooting. I started out using my O/U 12 ga., but missed a few shots because I could not get on them quick enough. Thought to myself, time to dust off the old quail gun. Turns out a 1 oz. load in the 16 ga. is perfect, plus much easier on those long walks through the muck. Worked great with #4s on pheasants in SD. I hope you find your new 16 as enjoyable as I have found mine.
Jodie
sixteen gunz
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:10 am  Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the warning of one 16 is not enough, or a sneaky 16 gauge progression that may creep up and put me in search of the holy grail of 16's. My model 37 arrived and I am a little hard to live with for wife and friends, who may think hearing about the new (old) gun 2 or 3 times is enough. Now the idea of reloading my own 1 ounce loads for hunting season has also snuck into my mind and possibly a new Mec 9000 in 16 gauge may be on the horizon. It does seem a little like a slippery slope I've encountered.
May your shots be many, and your misses few to all,
sixteen gunz
________
Magic flight

Last edited by sixteen gunz on Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:16 pm  Reply with quote

In the immortal words of the eloquent orator Elmer Fudd "Be vewy vewy afwaid". (or maybe it was Porky Pig)