16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  RST LOW PRESSURE
AteUp
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:37 am  Reply with quote

I know these have probably been discussed, but as you can see from my join date correlated with number of post I don’t spend a ton of time on the inter web. I did do a search and it spit out a thread that was very helpful but quickly turned into a 3/4 ounce vs. 1 1/8 ounce debate. I’m after those that have shot the 7/8 and 3/4 loads from this company as practice and if there are any precieved felt recoil differences. As I do not reload and do not wish to. So basically any experience with the falcon lite or falcon extra light would be much appreciated.
Thanks
old colonel
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:19 pm  Reply with quote

Between 7/8 falcon and 7/8 falcon lite both listed at 7/8 1125 should be negligible if at all

There will be a perceived difference in felt recoil between lighter and heavier loads

Recoil is basically the function of weight of load, speed of load and weight of gun.

If you shoot 7/8 or 3/4 ounce loads at similar velocities to the 1 1/8 or 1oz loads you will get less felt recoil. Note that a lot of lighter loads speed up the velocity, but with RST off the shelf, that is not an issue

putz463
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:02 am  Reply with quote

IMO, recoil being largely subjective, I think you'll be best served by buying a box of each and take'em for a test drive.

My experience with the loads;

In my 5.9# o/u I can tell the difference in recoil from those 2 loads but is still very manageable. In my 7.4# o/u the difference becomes much less discernible and recoil is negligible. Both guns fit me very well and have no head space issues.

Hope this helps,

Nasty-G
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:17 pm  Reply with quote

Anyone try these in an A5 original ?
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:01 pm  Reply with quote

Nasty, RST makes a 16 ga. 1 oz "Lite" @ 1200 FPS and a 1 oz "A-5" which is also 1 oz. @ 1200 fps. They use a faster burning powder in the A-5 load to help cycle the old Auto-5 and Remington 11 actions. From the little I've read it's reported that they do indeed cycle the old A5's.

http://www.rstshells.com/store/p/134-16-Ga-2-1/2-A-5-Type-Vel-1200-1-oz-Load-Box.aspx
Nasty-G
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:31 pm  Reply with quote

Dave. Thanks for the info. I have a flat of 2 1/4 dram 7/8 oz RST's. Guess I'll just try them to see if they cycle the A5 16. If not I'll have to use them in my other guns.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:09 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyone try these in an A5 original ?

Nasty-G,

I use the 2 1/2" RST Falcon Lite 7/8 oz 1125 fps as the Gold Standard Reference Load in my [rather aged] unaltered 65mm A-5. They are absolutely consistent in the old gun, never have any FTEs or jams, whereas the gun is quite particular about the length of my Cheddite short reloads, which MUST NEVER exceed 2 1/2" by as much as a hairbreadth (the Cheddite hulls stretch after a couple firings).

In fact, when I shoot skeet, I use an RST as the first shot on doubles followed by a 1 oz reload, the rules conformance of which is yet to be established.

As an extra plus, the RST recoil is soft as a marshmallow compared to the stout 1 oz 1265 fps reloads.

Good luck,

B.
Rick O
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:08 pm  Reply with quote

...I've shot a Bunch of both 3/4 and 7/8 RST and find the 3/4 oz to be much easier on the shoulder when shooting a lot, say, 4-6 boxes in rapid succession.

Picking away at dove or chasing quail, probably not noticeable

They're like powder puffs thru a Model 12 or Model 21 and that 3/4 oz load of 7.5's, for me, hits really hard via a MOD choke. I assume short, dense pattern is why.

I once got a "Scotch Triple" on Whitewings with my M12 and the lavender hull 3/4 oz 7.5 RST's
AteUp
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:18 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Rick O... exactly what I was looking for.