16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Tin Cup movie
kennedy756
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:36 pm  Reply with quote

watched the Kevin Costner golf movie Tim Cup and in the middle of it he can`t hit the ball worth a darn and his caddy says his brain gets in the way. Found the same happens to be when shooting trap, my brain gets in the way and I shoot behind, when it happens I always think of that movie and remember to NOT let my brain get in the way, anyone else? also reminds me of the movie Last Samurai and Tom Cruise is told TOO Many Minds when training, as soon as he clears his mind he does well.

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
duckdup
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:00 pm  Reply with quote

Yep.

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:39 pm  Reply with quote

Not a problem, as several people claim, I have no brain. - but then, why do I miss?
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:19 am  Reply with quote

It happens with live birds too. Tom Roster told us that the subconscious brain is capable of making the shots but the conscious gets in the way. I find this mostly true. I seldom miss a dove or duck that streaks over and startles me; the one I watch come for half a mile, well that one often lives to do it again.

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:39 am  Reply with quote

Yup.....you see a target coming from a long way off and it looks slow.....it lulls you into a slow move. ........and I am guilty as charged.

jschultz
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:04 am  Reply with quote

The subconscious mind is a beautiful thing. I know that I shoot my best when my subconscious mind is in charge. The same is true when fly fishing with artificial nymphs. I can be carrying on a conversation or looking at the surrounding area and not paying any attention to the terminal end of my line, when I automatically set the hook and it's fish on.
Chicago
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:16 pm  Reply with quote

I find pretty much the same thing. If I don’t give it a thought when I raise my gun good things tend to happen and if I think about it I start to aim instead of point and all of a sudden I can’t hit anything. I find it especially true working with a young dog when I want to make sure I hit the bird. At some point I find my way out of it, but many times it sticks with me for an entire hunt and on occasion more than one hunt.

Then there are the ruffed grouse of The Great White North. You have no time to really think about it and yet I can still shoot at them for an entire day and only succeed in shooting around them.

Pheasant, not so much. All there is around a rooster is blue sky and I tend to nail most of those, except when I start to think about it.

Good Hunting,
Mike
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:41 pm  Reply with quote

I find that my biggest problem of all comes when I shoot somewhere there isn't a bird.

double vision
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:10 am  Reply with quote

I really notice it in the timber on the duck that streaks in under the radar and you just react. Even then there's this beautiful unconscious peace and confidence about the shot as it's completed. It just works out with no brain involved, unlike the one you see coming forever and miss.

I also see it on one of the sporting clay courses I visit. There is a station with a fast and close left to right. There is absolutely no time to think, and it seems like everyone in the squad, no matter how their round is going nails these targets.
John Singer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:34 am  Reply with quote

I have a mantra that I use when my dog goes on point or ducks approach my decoys.

It goes like this: "Gun to my face. Focus on the bird."

I need to use it more when shooting trap or skeet. I have a wandering mind and I am not very good as a competitive shooter.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:38 am  Reply with quote

ah , the brain ! doesn't it make sense that as you get older and you lose your mind that your shooting should get better !!??

Beagleman
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:00 pm  Reply with quote

Speaking of Kevin Costner, how about Bull Durham.? Costner to Tim Robbins- " Don't think meat, it can only hurt the team".
Instinctive shooting is a grand thing. Hard to get out of your on way sometimes.

AteUp
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:31 am  Reply with quote

Our eyes are an amazingly efficient thing. So much so that they would rather and will try to focus on the closest object in their field of vue. So yes it helps to beat your eyes own reflex by conjuring your brain to overcome motor reflex. My personal montra is
“ Look at the beak and squeeze “