16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Whats available?
Ken
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:24 pm  Reply with quote

I'll be making a trip to Cabalas after Christmas. I'm looking for an O/U 16. I know about Browning,FAIR,Spartain. What other ones are out there?
And which ones can I expect to find at Cabelas in stock?

I've wanted one for a long time and keep putting it off. I keep telling myself I'll get one next year. Well next year came and BC Outdoors went out of business. I realy wanted the Verona.

I'm not familar with the difference between the Citori models. Which models are made in 16ga?

Thanks
Highcountry
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:13 am  Reply with quote

Ken, I believe there are several different flavors of Turkish O/Us available. Merkel also has 16ga O/Us but are very pricey. There are a number of older Merkels, Simsons, etc. from Germany/Austria in 16ga which can be good buys. Even Perazzi made a 16ga a decade or two ago.

16GG can weigh in on the different Browning models.

Good luck in your quest.

onefunzr2
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:08 am  Reply with quote

Don't forget the original Rizzini:

http://www.rizziniusa.com/

Although I doubt Cabelas carries them. Call the distributor in West Chester, PA. They'll certainly know who sells them in your neck of the woods.
old16
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:01 pm  Reply with quote

Try Kasplin Case Line. The 16 is made on it respected frame.

MGF
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:02 am  Reply with quote

Just to clarify, the the Kalispel Case Line Cortona O/Us are made by F.A.I.R.
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:00 am  Reply with quote

Check out the catalog offered by www.cdnnsports.com. They are q liquidator [spelling] and have many 16's offered at closeout prices.

Ken
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:19 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks.
The B Rizzini 16's dont come with tubes. I'm not sure if the Cortona's and Milano's are out yet. Both made buy I Rizzini.

I'm guessing the Browning is gonna be my best bet. I doubt the Fair guns will be less than a Browning.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:35 am  Reply with quote

I thought I'd wait before posting anything to give you time to sort out the market a bit Ken. Most folks know I'm strong on the 16 ga. Citori O/U. I really doubt you can go wrong with one if the gun fits you closely. I do not know if you have access to any small framed Citori of 16 down to .410, but all the Lightnings or Superlights have exactly the same LOP and drop to comb and heel. If one fits you well, they all will.

Then its a simple matter of finding out which barrel length fits your needs and taste, balance and swing wise. The newest 20 ga invector plus 20 ga guns have a nearly identical balance and feel as the 16 ga models in the various barrel lengths. If you can, handle a 16 for feel, but if you can't then the 20 will do.

I'd do some homework first before investing over 1600-2000 in a new gun only to find it does not fit you. I will say that once the LOP is adjusted, the Browning stocks seem to fit most folks very well. The guns are designed with a comb line that fits the cheek to eye height of most right handed folks so their eye is centered down the rib. They also make a left handed stock on special order or can swap out the right handed stock on most grade 1 guns for a fee if any are available.
Ken
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:13 pm  Reply with quote

I found a Citori today at Cabelas in WI. It just says Browning Citori 16ga. It has the blued reciever which I believe is "lowest" grade. They want $1800 for this gun. That seems high to me. I saw one this summer for $1399. They look like the same model both new guns. If I had the money I would have been all over that one.

There has been a lot of talk about Browning making a limited run of these this year. Is thiis true? And when will they be showing up? I guess my point is should I be patiant and wait a few months if there is a better chance of finding a better selection and price once the new ones hit the shelfs.

Thanks
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:29 pm  Reply with quote

Ken-
That boat already sailed. Some of the guys here already have Citoris from the 2006 run.
USAFA 71
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:43 am  Reply with quote

16GG - Where can I find a left-hand stock for the 16 ga Browning? I live 15 minutes from the repair facility in Arnold, MO. The only reason I haven't already purchased a Browning Citori 16 ga is that I won't buy a shotgun I can't shoot well because the stock doesn't fit me. And I am not too anxious to have one bent, since it may not stay that way.
I know Midwest Guns nearby has left-hand stocks for the 12 ga, but I don't think they will fit the 20 ga/16 ga guns.