16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Bird hunting magazines
duckdup
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:50 pm  Reply with quote

There was a girl on the cover?

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
fin2feather
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:17 am  Reply with quote

Chicago wrote:
"An idea....hit ebay and buy a few of the old magazines from the 30s-50s.....then enjoy the look and the guts within"

There was actually a magazine named Sporting Tales that was around in the early 2000’s that did exactly that. It re-ran great old stories that used to be in magazines and it also introduced a few new authors. It had a lot of content and not many ads (probably why it failed). I loved the thing and I bought several subscriptions for friends and they all enjoyed it.

Sporting Tales was great and the founder/editor, Joel Marvin, is a great guy. He was at Upland Almanac for a while after ST folded, but I haven't talked to him in quite a while.

I talked to an editor at Upland Almanac about the dearth of good old fashioned hunting stories in today's magazines. She disagreed and told me that magazines are full of them. I told her that in my experience and in talking to lots of other hunters that she is dead wrong. She disagreed.

I used to really like Shooting Sportsman but now even the articles come off to me to be nothing more than advertisements. I had a conversation with Ralph Stuart similar to the one I had with the Upland Almanac editor. Ralph told me that "space is too valuable for human interest pieces."

I dropped my Gray's script when John Hewitt had his stroke and quit writing for them. Gray's seems to be more interested in artistic writing than in good story telling; Bill Tapley said, in his piece "Invisible Writing", that the writing should never get in the way of the story. Also they seem to have gone the way of SSM in promoting things I can't afford (and mostly don't want anyway) and places I won't - or can't - ever go.

I still read the occasional issue of Gray's at the local Barnes & Noble, and also Sporting Classics, which I enjoy and have threatened to subscribe to. The only magazine I currently subscribe to is Double Gun Journal.

Last edited by fin2feather on Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:07 am  Reply with quote

fin2feather wrote:
Chicago wrote:
"An idea....hit ebay and buy a few of the old magazines from the 30s-50s.....then enjoy the look and the guts within"

There was actually a magazine named Sporting Tales that was around in the early 2000’s that did exactly that. It re-ran great old stories that used to be in magazines and it also introduced a few new authors. It had a lot of content and not many ads (probably why it failed). I loved the thing and I bought several subscriptions for friends and they all enjoyed it.

Sporting Tales was great and the founder/editor, Joel Marvin, is a great guy. He was at Upland Almanac for a while after ST folded, but I haven't talked to him in quite a while.

I talked to an editor at Upland Almanac about the dearth of good old fashioned hunting stories in today's magazines. She disagreed and told me that magazines are full of them . I told her that in my experience and in talking to lots of other hunters that she is dead wrong. She disagreed.

I used to really like Shooting Sportsman but now even the articles come off to me to be nothing more than advertisements. I had a conversation with Ralph Stuart similar to the one I had with the Upland Almanac editor. Ralph told me that "space is too valuable for human interest pieces."

I dropped my Gray's script when John Hewitt had his stroke and quit writing for them. Gray's seems to be more interested in artistic writing than in good story telling; Bill Tapley said, in his piece "Invisible Writing", that the writing should never get in the way of the story. Also they seem to have gone the way of SSM in promoting things I can't afford (and mostly don't want anyway) and places I won't - or can't - ever go.

I still read the occasional issue of Gray's at the local Barnes & Noble, and also Sporting Classics, which I enjoy and have threatened to subscribe to. The only magazine I currently subscrbe to is Double Gun Journal.

I couldn't agree more with your thoughts on Gray's and SSM, Fin. I dropped SSM 5 or 6 years ago and finally gave up on GSJ about three years ago. Ad space seems to account for 75% of content in SSM and Gray's is trying to be something I'm not interested in. The only magazine I read anymore is my RGS subscription.

Marc

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
Chicago
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:34 pm  Reply with quote

I just received my Summer 2018 copy of Upland Almanac and maybe it is because it is the 20th anniversary issue, but it is loaded with content. Funny after we have bemoaned the current magazines for lack of content along comes an issue full of it.

Good Hunting,
Mike
studdog
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:43 am  Reply with quote

Shooting Sportsman is the best of the lot IMO. I get Upland Almanac as well. As someone said once you get older you've seen and read a lot under the sun. Not too much is new. The internet has killed the printed press.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:50 pm  Reply with quote

Chicago,

Maybe I do not know what a human interest piece is any more, Major Nathaniel Peabody was the most popular piece of writing in the SSM for many years. It was in fact a big time fictional human interest, continuing story. That most people would love to see back in the SSM. I always read it 1st, and many others did also.

No room for human interests like the Major - I doubt that very much.

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Chicago
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:54 pm  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
Chicago,

Maybe I do not know what a human interest piece is any more, Major Nathaniel Peabody was the most popular piece of writing in the SSM for many years. It was in fact a big time fictional human interest, continuing story. That most people would love to see back in the SSM. I always read it 1st, and many others did also.

Pine Creek/Dave

Not sure I follow you and I must be missing something.

Good Hunting,
Mike
fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:43 am  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
Chicago,

Pine Creek/Dave

Dave, you may have meant to direct this post to me rather than Chicago. I only quoted what was told to me by the SSM editor, and I think if you review current issues you'll that there is no longer much if anything in the way of human interest writing contained. For a time they were also publishing a digital edition called Sporting Shots, edited by Ed Carroll, where they intended to include more writing of that kind. It apparently was not not successful; at any rate it was discontinued. FYI, Galen Winter, who wrote The Major, passed away. I loved it too, but it's not coming back.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:35 pm  Reply with quote

F2F,
How are you buddy, have not seen you post for a while, hope you are OK.
I heard about Galen passing, what a bummer. Loved his writing in the SSM. Seems sense Mac passed we are loosing a lot of the old timers. We lost Steve Mulak just recently also.

Getting lonely on the mountain. Following in Galen's shoes as a writer is a tough act to follow, I think a few are going to find that out.

I can just see Mac, Steve, Galen and Spiller swapping stories around God's big fire place, on a cold snowy evening!

Pine Creek/Dave

fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:43 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Dave; just trying to survive this thing they call "spring" this year Very Happy ! I've been getting into some vintage fiberglass fly rods; picked up a cool 7-1/2' Horrocks Ibbotson but haven't had it out yet; 40mph winds here today. Nice image; bet there are a few others around that fire too! Best from the prairie...Fin

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:59 am  Reply with quote

Chicago,

The post should have been directed to F2F, my mistake! Fin Caught the mistake and addressed it.
Pine Creek/Dave