16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16 ga screw in chokes choke tube
Bobsthedog
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:41 pm  Reply with quote

the options are limited, so far i have found only briley, colonial, and mike orlen that install 16 ga screw in chokes. Mike orlen installs only turetube in 16 ga and they require a minimum of 0.750' OD. Mine are 0.745' OD no matter how i measure them, i talked to Mike and appaerentlu 0.005" is a deal breaker and not just a saftey factor to account for a non concentric barrel. Briley will do it but WOW i will spend twice what i have in the gun. Between the cost of their service and the cost of thier chokes i will just cut these out and live with it.

I have been unable to get in touch with colonial and I have seen some rather negative comments concerning thier work. Buying the reamer and tap doesnt appear to be an option they do not seem to be availible for 16 ga.

A buddy has an A-5 sweet 16 with screw in chokes and although his barrel is larger than 0.750' OD it does look as if the inveta chokes might work.

I suspect my only option will be Briley and that colonial will have the same minimum bore rrequirement as the ture tube, so the questions.

1. Anyone know of anyone else that will do screw inchokes in a 16 ga?

2. Anyone ever had any size chokes installed by colonial?

3. Anyone know of a system other than briley that doesnt require 0.750' OD?
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

What gun are you working with? What are your primary uses?

Ducks Rx
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:52 pm  Reply with quote

Dean Harris at Skeet's Gun Shop in Tahlequah,OK 74464 phone 918-456-4749
Installed TruChoke tubes on 3 16s for me the last 2 years. A Remington model 31, Remington 11-48 and Winchester mod 12. Cost comparable to M. Orlen and absolutely world class workmanship. I will always have him do my work.
Give him a call and ask if he can help you. He is extremely knowledgeable and very friendly and enjoyable to talk with.
Bobsthedog
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:29 pm  Reply with quote

Ducks Rx wrote:
Dean Harris at Skeet's Gun Shop in Tahlequah,OK 74464 phone 918-456-4749
Installed TruChoke tubes on 3 16s for me the last 2 years. A Remington model 31, Remington 11-48 and Winchester mod 12. Cost comparable to M. Orlen and absolutely world class workmanship. I will always have him do my work.
Give him a call and ask if he can help you. He is extremely knowledgeable and very friendly and enjoyable to talk with.

Thanks, my buddy in Amarillo always sings his praises but i couldn't find a website but i was searching for him in OKC, I will give him a call. My buddy didnt know if he did screw in chokes.
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:44 am  Reply with quote

Skeets Gun Shop

18818 S 540 Rd,

Tahlequah, OK 74464

(918) 456-4749

tdnathens
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:00 pm  Reply with quote

(Bobsthedog) There is one thing you are not considering. The Briley tubes you receive when they thread your barrel are precision machined tubes. The are not the off the shelf pre made tubes that they and the others you list sell. When Briley threads your gun if you order a cylinder tube and your bore is .662 you will receive a .662 tube. If your bore is .669 you will receive a .669 tube. The tubes you will receive are custom made to your gun and bore size. They will not interchange with any other tubes or gun. When you have pre made tubes installed it is one size fits all. The cylinder choke tube will be the same size no matter what your bore size is. It's the same difference as having a custom made suit and buying a size 44 off the rack. My suits are 44 off the rack. My chokes tubes are made to fit my bore size. When someone says his new Browning A-5 choke tubes patterns are bad, 99% of the time it's because they are way off from bore size. Precision made tubes come as close to patterning like fixed chokes as possible. Briley will make precision made tubes for new guns already threaded for choke tubes, but you must send them the barrels for fitting.
Good Luck; Tom
Bobsthedog
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

tdnathens wrote:
(Bobsthedog) There is one thing you are not considering. The Briley tubes you receive when they thread your barrel are precision machined tubes. The are not the off the shelf pre made tubes that they and the others you list sell. When Briley threads your gun if you order a cylinder tube and your bore is .662 you will receive a .662 tube. If your bore is .669 you will receive a .669 tube. The tubes you will receive are custom made to your gun and bore size. They will not interchange with any other tubes or gun. When you have pre made tubes installed it is one size fits all. The cylinder choke tube will be the same size no matter what your bore size is. It's the same difference as having a custom made suit and buying a size 44 off the rack. My suits are 44 off the rack. My chokes tubes are made to fit my bore size. When someone says his new Browning A-5 choke tubes patterns are bad, 99% of the time it's because they are way off from bore size. Precision made tubes come as close to patterning like fixed chokes as possible. Briley will make precision made tubes for new guns already threaded for choke tubes, but you must send them the barrels for fitting.
Good Luck; Tom

I am aware of this, I was going to back bore to match the tube. I have my reasons.
tdnathens
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:25 pm  Reply with quote

(bobsthedog) I understand. I have done the same to match the chokes several times. It also helps to fix other problems at the same time.(varying bore diameter, pits, etc) I find the closer the bore to the inlet choke ID the better my patterns and shot strings.
Tom
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:30 pm  Reply with quote

Bobsthedog,

I have only a few shotguns with screw in chokes, no 16's at all with screw in chokes. I could strangle the man who had this done to one of our good 1889 #2 Special Order L.C. Smith double guns, it was stolen and altered prior to the recovery of the gun. I have to say Briley did an incredible job altering my Great Grandfathers 20 Gauge L.C. Smith with permanent 28 Gauge full sleeves and screw in chokes. A fantastic job no doubt about it. Serious custom job all the way, and the double gun is incredibly accurate. So if you are going to get the job done, I do recommend Briley's work. Top notch professional work.

All that being said, my experience with tight choked double guns and SpredR loads has been just fantastic. I no longer have my tight chokes opened on my good double guns, unless the SpredR's fail to pattern like I need for downing Grouse, Woodcock and Quail.

The Poly SpredR and RST SpredR's are just fantastic in the Grouse woods. I have one old 2 1/2" J.P. Sauer 16 double Grouse Gun that is now some kind of bird killing howitzer, mainly because of the SpredR loads.

I use everything from 8's to 6's in her, usually 8's under the front trigger and 6's under the back trigger. The great thing about the SpredR's is the repeat patterns, just incredible stuff.

IMO you might try the SpredR loads in your shotgun then make a decision as to whether you actually want to add screw in chokes to the gun.

Putting screw in chokes in a fine American or German Pre War Double Gun is repulsive to me. I am sure the Major would have agreed.

Pine Creek/Dave

1886, 16 Gauge J.P. Sauer Side Lock German Best Grouse Gun, with Krupp Barrels, that, I did not have to have the chokes opened on, because of the fantastic 2 1/2 SpredR loads available today.

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/53898_800x600/] [/URL]

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:24 pm  Reply with quote

Well for what it's worth, some thoughts on choke tubes, this time not relayed in jest. For a man who really wants to use the same gun for everything from super close work in timber to hunting turkeys, choke tubes do make sense. I have done fine without them in my favorite guns, but do have a trip planned where it truly would be of benefit to have open bores for blue and ruffed grouse and very tight chokes for...Himalayan snowcock; potentially all on the same hike. I won't die without tubes though.

As far as altering old guns is concerned, we make way too much of it sometimes. First, personal alterations to suit an individual is common practice in England, with guns worth more than my house no less. Second, if the manufacturers could have offered tubes 100 years ago, I'm pretty sure they would have.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:40 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
Second, if the manufacturers could have offered tubes 100 years ago, I'm pretty sure they would have.

+1

I just sent my ic/xf 16 Husky hammer gun to Briley to have them put tubes in the left barrel, so I can shoot everything from skeet to turkeys with it. The xf left barrel is amazing at long range, but no so much at close range. Yes, spreaders work great, but they aren't very practical for high volume clays, due to the expense of factory spreaders and/or the time required to reload in quantity. In this case, tubes will greatly increase the gun's versatility. That said, I won't put tubes in my collectible damascus Lefever or something similar. Husky's, especially the lower grades with their stout steel barrels and under the radar collectibility, are tailor made for tubes imo.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
double vision
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:21 am  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan wrote:
WyoChukar wrote:
Second, if the manufacturers could have offered tubes 100 years ago, I'm pretty sure they would have.

+1

I just sent my ic/xf 16 Husky hammer gun to Briley to have them put tubes in the left barrel, so I can shoot everything from skeet to turkeys with it. The xf left barrel is amazing at long range, but no so much at close range. Yes, spreaders work great, but they aren't very practical for high volume clays, due to the expense of factory spreaders and/or the time required to reload in quantity. In this case, tubes will greatly increase the gun's versatility. That said, I won't put tubes in my collectible damascus Lefever or something similar. Husky's, especially the lower grades with their stout steel barrels and under the radar collectibility, are tailor made for tubes imo.

Good plan!
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:20 pm  Reply with quote

I am not a guy that has the talent to shoot a bunch of different shotguns well.

I had Briley Thin Walls put in my 1100 19 years ago and never regretted it. Everything from clays to turkeys and a lot in between. The next shotgun to get Thin Walls will be my 870.

The rest of my 16 gauge guns will stay as they are as I only use them for hunting and only once in a great while at that.

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:24 pm  Reply with quote

I have a Briley thinwalls installed in my 16 Elsie several years ago. Never regretted it.

Also had Briley made a pair of 28 ga. Titanium 26"tubes to fit my 325 citori. 've had a lot of fun with that setup. I don't think Briley make the full lgt. any more. I could be wrong about that. Amazingly the tubes fit in my Elsie also.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:05 am  Reply with quote

Hammer bill,

You maybe correct about Briley no longer making full length sleeves, my #2 L.C. Smith that had this done to her, permanently made the 1889 #2 gun into a 28 Gauge. When I asked Briley if the inserts could be removed from the beautiful high grade Damascus Barrels, I was advised that it would be impossible, the barrels would be destroyed. The gentlemen at Briley also made the comment that this particular permanent full sleeve work was no longer being done. I did not question whether it was just the kind that was done on our gun, or all guns in general.

I often thought about the Titanium tubes for my Citori 28/20 Combo Gun, I sold her to pick up another good L.C. Smith before it happened however.

I hope that the 16 Elsie you put Briley thinwalls in, was a later made Field Grade Gun!

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers