16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  2.5" Loads for Turkey
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:21 am  Reply with quote

If nothing else this thread is entertaining!!

Make mine a purple sock too!!

16'er
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:56 pm  Reply with quote

“The Long Tom”....

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939460228/midwayusa-silicone-treated-rifle-and-shotgun-gun-sock

Select purple under color box for 16ga authenticity!
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:40 am  Reply with quote

Know your range to identified objects down range and you won’t take shots that are too far away. Most folks, including me before I started paying attention to this topic, can’t guess distance worth a toot. I use a hoola hoop for my students to stand in with a clipboard and guess the range of targets that I’ve set out. Variance between students is often higher than 50% and I’ve had very few that are able to get within 15% of correct ranges. Buck fever is mild compared to Tom Tremor, a debilitating judgement-clouding malady that increases your chance to do dumb things.

Manufacturers create demand for products to fill perceived needs. Touting loads that kill birds in extreme ranges is not only irresponsible, it’s unethical. Don’t fall for that ploy but instead pay attention to the need to use the terrain, cover, topography, and vegetation to encourage a bird to be in range when he appears. Thats woodsmanship, a practice that is losing favor among modern hunters. If all else fails remember this, if you can clearly see the gobblers eye, he is in range for a gun and load that has been tested for POI and pattern density. 2.5’s are fine, buy the fives and sixes and figure out which works best.

Reno

salish
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:41 pm  Reply with quote

Reno, thank you very much for a very well written response. We didn't get a bird, but we came very close a couple of times. Things were crazy for me, timewise, and I didn't get the chance pattern my 16 gauge, so I grabbed my A5 12 gauge and used that (I've patterned it). I know, after three pages of 16gauge thread I changed my mind, sorry guys. I'll bring the old Model 12 next weekend, as it would be nice to let it take a turkey for its 101st birthday.

Thanks
Cliff