16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Anyone familiar with Greifelt and Sons side by sides?
Dannyboy175
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:46 pm  Reply with quote

I recently saw a nice looking shotgun for sale but am unfamiliar with the name of the manufacturer. What can you tell me about Griefelt and Sons? Are they well made? Any known issues? Do they hold their value?

steve f
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:46 pm  Reply with quote

Greifelt made a lot of good quality guns pre-WWII. I think the East Germans continued putting the name on some guns for a while after WWII but I don't know about the quality.

Von Lengerke & Detmold in NY imported a lot of Greifelt guns up to about 1930 when they were bought out by Abercrombie & Fitch. I don't know if A&F continued importing Greifelt guns. In any case Griffin & Howe has all the old records from VL&D and A&F.

G&H has an inquiry function to look up serial numbers in their database. It wasn't accurate for my Greifelt, said it wasn't in the database even though my gun had the VL &D name stamped on the barrels. I contacted Bob Beach at G&H directly via email and he was able to find the records for my gun.
Dannyboy175
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:25 pm  Reply with quote

steve f wrote:
Greifelt made a lot of good quality guns pre-WWII. I think the East Germans continued putting the name on some guns for a while after WWII but I don't know about the quality.

Von Lengerke & Detmold in NY imported a lot of Greifelt guns up to about 1930 when they were bought out by Abercrombie & Fitch. I don't know if A&F continued importing Greifelt guns. In any case Griffin & Howe has all the old records from VL&D and A&F.

G&H has an inquiry function to look up serial numbers in their database. It wasn't accurate for my Greifelt, said it wasn't in the database even though my gun had the VL &D name stamped on the barrels. I contacted Bob Beach at G&H directly via email and he was able to find the records for my gun.

Thanks for the info. I’ll get the serial number and check out the Griffin and Howe web site. Are they worth owning regardless of whether they were pre or post WWII? Any idea how I can get a value for it? I tried searching the online blue book of gun values, but struck out totally.

skeettx
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:32 pm  Reply with quote

Study these completed auctions Smile

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/Completed%2FBCI.aspx?Keywords=Greifelt&Timeframe=1&Sort=1

Dannyboy175
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:58 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
Study these completed auctions Smile

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/Completed%2FBCI.aspx?Keywords=Greifelt&Timeframe=1&Sort=1

Thanks. It looks like two guns with multiple auctions each. I’m thinking positive about this so far....

goathoof
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:52 am  Reply with quote

I have a 1938 Greifelt 16 ga. drilling (30-30) that has Abercrombie and Fitch inscribed on the barrel. It is an excellent gun and the finish is still close to original. It has lasting quality.
Dannyboy175
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:09 pm  Reply with quote

Ok, looking closer at the gun, it has small cracks in the stock right behind the side plates, in line with the barrels. The gun was apparently made in 1922. I want this as an low brass shooter but doesn’t have to be a workhorse. How worried should I be about the cracks?

Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:59 pm  Reply with quote

Dannyboy175 wrote:
Ok, looking closer at the gun, it has small cracks in the stock right behind the side plates, in line with the barrels. The gun was apparently made in 1922. I want this as an low brass shooter but doesn’t have to be a workhorse. How worried should I be about the cracks?

Danny,

If the seller will allow an inspection period, I'd have Craig Libhart look at the stock issues before making a final decision on the purchase. Craig is a very well regarded stocker and he's just across the river from you in Bainbridge.

http://www.susquehannastockworks.com

Marcus

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
Dannyboy175
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:10 pm  Reply with quote

Upland Carpenter wrote:
Dannyboy175 wrote:

Danny,

If the seller will allow an inspection period, I'd have Craig Libhart look at the stock issues before making a final decision on the purchase. Craig is a very well regarded stocker and he's just across the river from you in Bainbridge.

http://www.susquehannastockworks.com

Marcus

Thanks for the info, I’ll give Craig a call and see if he can help.

JNW
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:47 pm  Reply with quote

The pre-war German guns are, as a group, very good to excellent shotguns. Given their quality they are a relative bargain. Whenever I get a "new" old gun I have a real gunsmith take it apart, fix any cracks in the stock head and then completely glass bed all contact areas. My 1925 Simson has a new stock and I had it completely glass bedded.
Buy the Griefelt and have it set up to shoot. You'll love it.
Jeff