16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Question / Advice on some ftf's this weekend...
TripleH
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:24 pm  Reply with quote

Some of you may recall my issues related to the trigger assembly on my sweet 16 being lost in the mail when I sent it out for some work...

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20937 (if you are interested in backstory)...

Cliff notes on updates - Finally got to speak to someone at Browning who was able to send me a new complete trigger assembly, and after 4 appeals with the USPS, I even got the cost covered.

I got to shoot this weekend for the first time since the new trigger assembly came. I had four fail to fires between 1 round of 5 stand and 3 rounds of trap. 3 of the 4 were Herter's factory ammo, one was on a reload. All appeared to be light primer strikes. 2 of the 4 fired after being ejected and re-chambered. 2 would not go at all.

Previous to my trigger saga, I'd put about 3 flats through it and had never had an issue.

So looking for 'what would you do' advice here.

Do I chalk that up to a bad run of luck and not worry too much about it?

I'm of course suspicious that I borked something up putting the new trigger assembly in, but it seemed idiot proof even for someone with my limited skills.

Any advice aside from just breaking it down and cleaning and going back out? Anything specific I should look out for that might be the culprit? Or am I just overthinking?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Rob
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

Often times a mechanical assembly will need a break in period.
Take it down and clean and lube it and reassemble.
Also clean out the firing pin channel and spring.
Try it again
Please report back
Mike

Builder
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

I have had many failure to fire with Herter shells in certain guns. There is a thread mentioning this on doublegunshop also. Try a different shell in the gun.

I have a light 20 A5 and it will not eject Herter shells but they do fire.

I also have three other guns that they do not work in. My Ithaca model 37 extractor will not grab the shell and it stays in the chamber after firing. I also have light strikes on an LC grade 5 built in 1894. I blame it on the base being slightly smaller than American shells although I have not measured them yet.

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:30 pm  Reply with quote

It may be common knowledge to everyone but me, but what brand primers are used in Herter's shells?

The FTFs that I have had were the result of dished case bases resulting from too much exuberance on the press handle when reloading; but that was with an 870 and since your problem involved factory shells, I'd try Skeettx's cleaning/lubing as the first step to solution. Good luck in your endeavors.
rdja
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:41 pm  Reply with quote

AmericanMeet wrote:
It may be common knowledge to everyone but me, but what brand primers are used in Herter's shells?

The FTFs that I have had were the result of dished case bases resulting from too much exuberance on the press handle when reloading; but that was with an 870 and since your problem involved factory shells, I'd try Skeettx's cleaning/lubing as the first step to solution. Good luck in your endeavors.

I had this problem with some Rem Game loads for 16 ga. In my old Marlin 90 they would occasionally not fire. When you put a flat edge across the shell brass they were significantly dished.
TripleH
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks gents.

Snagged the A5 manuals offline, as I seem to recall a post on here that the new sweets don't have a spring with the firing pin. I'll take it down and get it cleaned up and relubed and see what's what.

Hopefully get it out again sometime this week and see if i have any repeat issues.