16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  English Pointer puppy
eng-pointer
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:10 pm  Reply with quote

Ok so the bug has officially bitten. It is time to add a new puppy! I am thinking I might just experiment a bit this time and get a foreign puppy. By that I mean I have my circle of bird dog contacts and trusted sources but I think this time I will broaden my approach so I am looking for recommendations on English Pointer Breeders. I have looked a little bit into Pinehill kennels and Nitro Kennels which seem to both be heavily into Elhew lines. They both use descendants of Elhew Mr. McGoo from which I owned a daughter who I just loved (I have a oil painting of her in the Den and I have to fight back a tear when I look at it to long). Anyway fire away. If you have a English Pointer breeder you would recommend please respond either here or PM me.

Thanks,

James

"My degree of optimism is negotiated daily" Bill Snyder, Former Head Football Coach, Kansas State University
jschultz
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:32 pm  Reply with quote

Good luck James, It's always fun to work with a new puppy.
Chicago
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

I don’t know where you are located but Good-going kennels in N.W. Wisconsin breeds and trains English Pointers. At least I think they still breed pointers. They have been around a long time and the son Jason has taken over the kennel from his father. Good people. They have a pretty good block of land and raise their own birds on the property. You can go there and hunt over the stock right on their grounds.

A friend has a string of 17 pointers for quail hunting and if you can’t find good ideas, post again and I will ask him for his thoughts. I have hunted over his dogs and they do a nice job.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:28 am  Reply with quote

You don't mention whether you will be hunting afoot or from horseback, but it should be taken into account, especially when looking for an English Pointer. Those pointers bred for horseback hunting/trialing will not be ideal for the foot hunter, unless you enjoy looking for your dog on point and wear track shoes. I have a couple of friends here in the Ozarks who run the shoot to retrieve type walking field trials in addition to a lot of wild bird hunting and both have lines of awesome pointers that hunt closer, but really cover ground well. One gentleman won this year's high point trophy with a super nice male EP that is also as friendly and sociable a dog as one could ever want. Personally, I run GSP's, but those two gentlemen's dogs have me thinking about changing that lineup.

eng-pointer
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:19 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
You don't mention whether you will be hunting afoot or from horseback, but it should be taken into account, especially when looking for an English Pointer. Those pointers bred for horseback hunting/trialing will not be ideal for the foot hunter, unless you enjoy looking for your dog on point and wear track shoes. I have a couple of friends here in the Ozarks who run the shoot to retrieve type walking field trials in addition to a lot of wild bird hunting and both have lines of awesome pointers that hunt closer, but really cover ground well. One gentleman won this year's high point trophy with a super nice male EP that is also as friendly and sociable a dog as one could ever want. Personally, I run GSP's, but those two gentlemen's dogs have me thinking about changing that lineup.

Yes I should definitely have mentioned that I am a foot hunter who hunts about 50/50 wild pheasants and wild quail. I prefer a close to medium range dog (for an English pointer) because I almost always run a pointer and retriever combo with the retriever trained to honor point (sitting) while hunting pheasants and a English pointer with a very close working GSP while quail hunting. My pointers have always been very social friendly dogs without exception. If your friends have a breeder they really like I would love to get a recommendation from them. I don't know where in the Ozarks you are but I know several breeders in MO. I live in Oklahoma now so you are not far from me.

James

"My degree of optimism is negotiated daily" Bill Snyder, Former Head Football Coach, Kansas State University
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:23 am  Reply with quote

eng-pointer wrote:
Quote:

Yes I should definitely have mentioned that I am a foot hunter who hunts about 50/50 wild pheasants and wild quail. I prefer a close to medium range dog (for an English pointer) because I almost always run a pointer and retriever combo with the retriever trained to honor point (sitting) while hunting pheasants and a English pointer with a very close working GSP while quail hunting. My pointers have always been very social friendly dogs without exception. If your friends have a breeder they really like I would love to get a recommendation from them. I don't know where in the Ozarks you are but I know several breeders in MO. I live in Oklahoma now so you are not far from me.

James

I'll be seeing both these gentlemen Monday evening at our field trial club meeting. One is getting on in years (aren't we all) and keeps saying he's raised his last litter of pups for the last several years, but relents and goes for another litter every year. There is usually a waiting list to get his pups and the females always are in greatest demand. The other gentleman is in his 50's, raises quail commercially in addition to having a construction business, and has developed one of the best lines of English Pointers I've ever seen. Both are as hardcore bird hunters as you're likely to find. I'm not sure if he has any litters on the way, but if you could get one of his pups, I don't think you could do any better. I'll PM you after the meeting with what I find out including contact numbers if they will have litters available. We're in the Joplin/Seneca,MO rural area if that would be in driving range for your search.

eng-pointer
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:42 am  Reply with quote

Riflemeister,

I would really appreciate that, thank you.

James