16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  New sweet
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:47 am  Reply with quote

A local shop has not one, but two of the new sweet 16's on their rack, a 26" and a 28". I was impressed with how they pointed, the 26" especially. Very light and quick, and I really liked the sight picture. Not crazy about the wood and the plain metal, but other than that, they are really nice. Interestingly, the 26" was listed at $1450, the 28" at $1350. I can see the appeal, and I certainly wouldn't kick one out of my gun cabinet for eating crackers.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
double vision
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:57 am  Reply with quote

Mark, with your wood skills you could have fun recreating the stock to your liking. They really shoot well!

Last edited by double vision on Sun May 27, 2018 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:03 pm  Reply with quote

I bet they do Dave! Tempting.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Hootch
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:31 pm  Reply with quote

I have both the 28 and the 26". Shoot great, light weight, first time assembled out of box, shot an 84 on sporting clay range. I think I will keep it.

Shot some pheasants, chickens and quail with it this last fall. It is great grouse gun for humping the sandhills. Proven to be tough on pheasants too.

Having thoughts of sending my 28" barrel to Briley and have it cut to 22 or 24".
double vision
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:46 pm  Reply with quote

Hootch wrote:
Having thoughts of sending my 28" barrel to Briley and have it cut to 22 or 24".

I've thought the same thing. If I could get ahold of just a 28" barrel I'd do just that for a 2nd "brush" barrel.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:21 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

How about some Pictures of the gun, Please.

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
JonP
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

I have the 26" version and its the ONLY semi-auto bird gun I own. It points very well although not quick and compact enough for the grouse woods. The wood is terrible...looks like it was stained with a smudge rag...but, that's today's state of shot gun production.
studdog
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:23 am  Reply with quote

My 26 inch has nice wood and it shoots like a dream. It still occasionally fails to cycle light loads. The shims system is marginal. I had to have my stock guy make adjustments to get perfect gun fit and adjust the trigger pull. In the field my SXS Fox handles better but the A5 is a nice gun.

TripleH
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:23 am  Reply with quote

Have the 26” and love it.

Not sure if all wood is as bad as it seems or just the awful staining.

Before and after pics of mine after getting stock/forearm refinished and converted to a straight grip. (Not the best photos with glare and all). Might be nicer wood hiding under there, so give it a good look over!

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:05 am  Reply with quote

Dan I got to shoot one at the Sweet 16 shoot for the first time, Savage16 was able to get a demo from Browning. First Browning that ever fit me correctly. And I didn't miss much with it. Only issue had with it wouldn't cycle my 7/8 oz. loads. But shooting the 1 oz. Herters threw them with authority. I am recoil sensitive and didn't have an issue at all shooting 1 oz. with it. Much to my surprise as I don't even shoot 1 oz. in my 12 ga. JEG custom combo that weighs close to 9 lbs.

During the flurry Dave, Jason and I all shot the new Sweet 16 and pretty sure not a single target hit the ground. I've been looking at them on line for the last week and you don't see many with decent wood, I'm with you on wanting nice wood. When they first came out there were some with fantastic wood so I know they are out there. TripleH has a good example above now wondering if they didn't change the stain. They are a heck of a gun. Fell in love with a FAIR SxS at the Sweet 16 shoot too. But the Browning will come first. Need to sell some 20 ga. guns that I no longer shoot to make room in the barn for the new ones.
buckshot54
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:47 am  Reply with quote

Hey TripleH....who converted that stock for you and how much $ if you don't mind sharing? I like the look of that.

I have the 26" and love it....primarily quail gun. I bought one as soon as they were available....it had cycle issues this past season so I sent it back to Browning...they responded quickly with a brand new gun. The original gun cycled decent in 2016 but for some reason had problems this past season....I shoot 1-1/8 oz Herters, Rios, and Federal 1 oz 7-1/2's and 8's.
Hootch
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:54 pm  Reply with quote

Second that, straight grip and cut barrels to 22" to 24" somewhere near there, be great quail gun.
I shoot mine well, not overly taken with the pistol grip, and am an English or rounded grip kind of person.
Both of mine of really good wood on them.
It has cycled everything but not sure I have tried 7/80z loads, don't use them.