16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  FINAL CLOSEOUT SALE ON ** ELEY SHOTSHELLS**
Eleyman
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:06 am  Reply with quote

with current pricing we have not nor do we plan to place an 06 or 07 order. We are closing out all remaining inventory of shells and as of this morning i have less than 40 cases of various 2 1/2" 16ga loads left and HAVE MARKED THEM DOWN SUBSTANTIALLY . When they are gone they are gone. As always you can order them online and we'll ship directly to your door via UPS ground. THANK YOU ALL for your past patronage and MERRY CHRISTMAS

August, The Eleyman

www.eleyshotshells.com
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:49 am  Reply with quote

These are great shells at a great price-I'm going to get a case of the 15/16 Grand Prix UK 5s (US 6s) for my sweet LC.

(Not that we're interested Embarassed , but they have a nice price on a 7/8 oz 12g target load also)
***NEW***A 2 1/2”, 7/8OZ TARGET LOAD WITH A FIBER WAD!!! An excellent clay shooting cartridge ideal for the shooter who requires the utmost in reliability and quality and fantastic for the lightweight gameguns for a day at the range. How well does it work…the 2004 Vintagers High Hammergun Champion was won with this load. Available in 1oz. and 1 1/8oz AND NOW 7/8oz!!!! loads all with Plastic Hull & choice of plastic or KLEENA fiber wad. This load utilizes the KLEENA Fiber wad.**NORMALLY $61.90, ON SALE FOR $49.90 WHILE SUPPLIES LAST!!!!

Birdswatter
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:23 pm  Reply with quote

I looked at the site, and was about to order some 20's, then I realized I had no idea what size shot I was ordering....8's are 8's, but 6's are 7's.....? Need a damn calculator in the field to figure out what the hell I'm shooting.......reminded me of when I was in London, had a few pints and got stuck in one of those roundabouts, but I digress. Tell me how to get some 7.5's and I'll buy some!
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:06 pm  Reply with quote

offhand I can't remember the math----surely a size up or down wouldn't matter too much as that is the standard variation----where is that 16GG when we need him????
IFL16's
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:29 am  Reply with quote

Drew or August, do you know what the pressure is in psi of those Grand Prix shells? And is that 1225 fps speed from the muzzle?

Have you shot any of these shells before Drew? If so, how was the recoil?

Thanks,

Larry
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:01 pm  Reply with quote

Larry-the Eley site doesn't list the pressure but these are not low pressure loads. I suspect they are a bit lighter than the GameBore 1 oz at 1260 and 8122 psi though. I was very impressed with the performance of the GameBore 6s (US 7s) in KS with Dr 16g. The recoil was more than the Federal Game Shok 1 oz at 1165 but certainly comfortable in my 6# 10 oz LC. I have not used the Eley's but I've read positive comments about them.

sbs470
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:48 am  Reply with quote

I have a case of 7s and they are fantastic.If I lived in the States I would fill the back of the pickup with them.Sadly over here they are so damn expensive.I'm running out of kidneys and firstborn..Great shell but in Australia just too bloody expensive..Listed below is what I can get at reasonable price and access
Federal
Nobel
Saga
Rio
Lyalvale express
Mirage
Fiocchi
good shooting
sbs470
IFL16's
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:34 am  Reply with quote

sbs, I've shot a lot of the Federals and am wondering how the Eleys compare as far as recoil goes. I'm just trying to get some sense of how hot these shells really are. I suspect that 1225 fps is measured from the muzzle so they are probably more like 1200 the way we measure them.

I was also told that they are on average somewhere around 720 bar but I'm not sure how that translates to psi. According to a conversion site on the internet that would be almost 10,500 psi but again I'm not sure if the British measure pressure the same way we do. The same source told me the maximum individual pressure for CIP rated shells was 850 bar putting it over 12,000 psi so something's not right since I've heard that CIP rated shells are supposed to be less then our 11,500 standard.

Larry
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:57 am  Reply with quote

Oh my-your source needs better infro Larry.
per http://www.bandpusa.com/files/db_trio.pdf
B&P offers a Magnum 50 load which is a 3" 12g 1 3/4 oz at 1260 with 10,883 psi or 750 bar
The Gran Prix is slower and slightly lighter that the GameBore load which runs 8122 psi.

IFL16's
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:22 am  Reply with quote

Drew, that information came from August the Eleyman who started this thread.

Do you know for certain that the British and the Italians measure pressure the same way? Seems to me that Larry Brown reported something different about British measurements a while back. Something about them being crusher instead of piezo values, whatever that means.

Yes the Grand Prix is slower and slightly lighter then the GameBore but what does that have to do with actual pressure?

Larry
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:52 am  Reply with quote

Will work on this one after church Larry-something just doesn't seem right. And you are correct that pressure, shot load, and speed are not necessarily correlated.

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:09 pm  Reply with quote

THE PLOT THICKENS LARRY
per this British site there are two 16g Grand Prix loads
http://www.kirklees-guns.co.uk/Eley%20Hawk/Eley%20Hunting.htm
16G Grand Prix 26g (15/16oz) 6 7 Fibre 1380FPS £5.80/box £51.80/case
(That's roughly $13/box!)
The one offered by the 'Eleyman' is 1225 fps and the other load at 1380 fps probably does have a pressure of 10,500!
It looks like the Grand Prix 1225 has been discontinued (explaining the sale) for a new load at 1380. The VIP at 1275 has been discontinued for a new load at Shocked 1425 fps Shocked

I'm working on this some more but that's likely the answer to my confusion Rolling Eyes

Last edited by revdocdrew on Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:02 pm; edited 3 times in total

IFL16's
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:06 pm  Reply with quote

Drew, this is exactly what he told me when I asked him about the pressure of his Grand Prix 16 gauge loads: "All Eley 2 ½” cartridges are well below the maximum individual CIP pressure of 850 bar ( Average 720Bar) in essence they are all about 2700 tons to 2.9 tons. The only exception is Hushpower which is 3 Tons. All Eley products are CIP approved including our 16ga 1oz VIP which runs out 1275fps and is a very comfortable load. I carry them in #5,6,7,8,& 9's"
THANK YOU August M. Crocker

I have a couple of very light guns with marginal barrel wall thickness just in front of the chambers that Keith Kearcher told me to stay under 10,000 psi with that I'm not taking any chances with so I won't be assuming anything.

Just because you found some different information about the Grand Prix load doesn't necessarily mean there are TWO different loadings for this shell. If there were then why wasn't the 1225 fps load offered on that same page with the faster Grand Prix? August could be honestly mistaken about his shells performance. Even the 3 dram VIP load he has he only has it listed at 1275 fps. Or maybe he's converted them from muzzle velocity to 3 feet from the muzzle. I asked him that too last year and all he said was it was too lengthy to write about in an email. He also told me that the shot was so hard that there was no barrel rub on them so they couldn't be classified as shooting more open patterns just because they don't have a plastic shot cup.

Anyway I ordered two cases of these shells and if I can't get a definite answer from someone from Eley about the pressure (I've sent two emails to the factory so hopefully they are as careful about their shells as B&P is and will have the lot number information about them somewhere) I will send 3 of them to Armbrust for testing.

Larry
sbs470
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:55 am  Reply with quote

All the velecoties are listed on the eley web page.
www.eleyhawkltd.com.uk

check out thre Grand Prix and also the High preformance VIP cartridges.on the above web page

the cartridges that I have are Grand Prix ,plastic with fibrewads.
Grand Prix 12 ga have been around in Australia for a 100 years I still have several thousand paper ,orange 12 ga shells and the Impax in orange plastic but the 16 plastics Grand Prix are new .So far I have'nt seen any VIPs in this country,but as I said I wish I had a pickup full of thoseGrand Prix
good shooting
sbs470