16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  To English stock or not?
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:20 am  Reply with quote

I'm going fishing.
kgb
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:23 am  Reply with quote

A straight grip can make an O/U look pretty darn nice as in Merkel's 2116. Having used double triggers paired with SG and PG I can't say one is advantaged over the other for me, which would leave open any option in a gun already stocked in either style.

I will have the original style retained when this next two-trigger gun is re-stocked, it's so open it feels no different than a SG to my hand.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:02 pm  Reply with quote

My two cents: Since shotguns are to be pointed rather than aimed like a rifle, to me, it makes sense that an english grip would better facilitate that than a rifle-like pistol grip. This is evident on the skeet range also. I see relatively few english grip guns shot pre-mounted. Most seem to be shot low gun. English grips just seem to lend themselves to quick pointing.

I'm probably wrong, but that's my [not very well thought out] take on it. Wink

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:40 am  Reply with quote

For the why and for the most part I'm in the Tedthesurveyor club + who can deny a trim brunette in a dress. Carrying in the field the gun is more often than not muzzle up/vertical and in one hand and the SG/EG works and feels best in my hand for this. Also, since I'm usually wearing gloves and "most" EG guns are a bit on the thin side they again work best for me in that regard. All else equal I do think EG's recoil a bit sharper than pistol grips but my upland loads are far from barn burners. My Quacker & Honker guns are pistol grip DT (quick intuitive choke selection) O/U's and work well while lying/sitting in a boat or field + any amount of recoil mitigation is welcome.

Tedthesurveyor
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:35 am  Reply with quote

Buckmark,

Weighing in on your original question. If you don't think you'll be able to get your hands on a straight gripped Citori, then you have nothing to lose. As others have pointed out, if something goes awry with the mod or you decide you want the knob back, you certainly will be able to find replacement wood at a reasonable price. In looking long term, and if future gun value is something to consider, it seems that there will be an abundance of 'classic' lightly used Citori 16's in original condition on the market for generations. Not sure what other folks think, but 50 years from now if I was looking for a vintage Citori 16 and found one with a custom straight grip (and a long tang if you can do that as well!!!) I would be interested. Much in the way I'm currently lusting after a straight gripped Fox 16 that shows some honest use.

Ted