<  16ga. Guns  ~  16ga of the rifle world
Coondawg
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:46 pm  Reply with quote

.25 Remington
.300 Savage
.308 Norma Mag
8mmFan
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:18 pm  Reply with quote

I have to give the nod to the 8x57 Mauser. I like the 7x57 too, but I'll take the 8mm.

Hardly anybody shoots it anymore, but it's effective as heck, if you reload.

Nice .323 diameter, which is about a 10% bigger hole than a .308. Doesn't generally kick like a .300 Win but, if you reload for it you can really soup it up if you have a good action. I run a 180g Nosler out of it at 2900 fps (yes, I know that's really hot) and, believe me, it kills deer like a piano dropped on them. I call it my .323 Magnum Mauser.

With the 200g Nosler Partition I'd not personally hesitate to use it for (some) dangerous game.

Why's it like the 16ga? Hardly anybody has heard of it anymore, let alone uses it, but when you let them shoot it and extol its virtues (power with low recoil and very good accuracy w/ the right bullets) they say, "maybe I should get one of those."

And it's got the same "cool factor" as the 16ga to boot.

8mmFan
scraggley
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:15 am  Reply with quote

The 7x57 has my vote, have had and used several different ones over the years and still have 3. The cool factor goes back to the 1890s.

Art

Brewster11
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:05 pm  Reply with quote

7mm? 8mm? 25-06

O ye of little faith...16 ga is WAAAY better than those old classics...think of the 16 gauge as the 6.5 Creedmoor of the shotgun world. 6.5C with the latest loads and new high tech projectiles is incredibly efficient, superior ballistics and more downrange energy than 300 Win mag at a fraction of the recoil, blast, and weight, and with new unitary bullets, good for almost everything just like the 16 ga!

BTW folks out here love the 300 Win Mag for elk and mulies but they are giving up on them for reasons of blast and recoil, and moving on to more high tech cartridges. Saw a bunch of them at the gun store at garage sale prices.

B.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:30 pm  Reply with quote

Re-visiting some old threads today, and found this one, which I absolutely love -- one of the best. Even though it is a bit of a digression from the 16 gauge, it is in the proper spirit, and has elicited some super responses. Thanks, all. I think it is worth another look with the fall hunting seasons here and another winter of contemplation approaches.

Cheers!
Tony

P.S: To Ptm, wherever you might be. You favored the .264 Win Mag -- a helluva round that was quickly eclipsed in the market and of which few have ever had the opportunity of acquaintence, because Remington glommed onto a up-bored fire-formed version of it by a long range elk hunter named Les Bowman, and called it the 7mm Remington Magnum. Just 20 thousandths more bore made another great (arguably greater) round. Neither round makes it onto my favorites list, but it takes a real savvy individual to appreciate the .264 win Mag. I like your style, Ptm.
Researcher
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:00 pm  Reply with quote

A Savage Model 99 in .22 Savage High Power.

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:12 pm  Reply with quote

Ah, the 8mm. I have my drilling chambered in 8x57R under two 16 ga barrels. Amazingly enough, the drilling will give me 3-shots-touching at 50 yards through iron sights, and smaller than a half-dollar at a hundred with the scope attached. I use S&B's standard load, the 196 grain SPCE, where there's a step in the jacket that's supposed to give extra cutting during expansion, make a bigger wound channel. I haven't tested it in deer - they seem to get scarce when the drilling hits the woods, but I would not hesitate to use it on moose. Good out to 200 without adjusting for drop.

That said, if I was going to go with one caliber that most resembles the 16 it'd be a close race between the 7x57 (rimmed or regular), the .257 Roberts and, yes, the 30-30. Used to be everyone used a 30-30 and the big argument was between the Winchesters and the Marlins, with some cockeyed looks at the Savage and Remington 788 bolt actions chambered in that caliber. Point being, you could use spitzers instead of round noses in the bolt guns and get a lot better ballistics out of the same 30-30 cartridge. Now, there's all sorts of everything but a lever action 30-30 in the deer woods.

As to the comment upthread advocating for the .22 Savage HP, it is fine (and popular, especially in combo guns) for European roe deer and chamois, which make a collie look big. But it is rightly notorious for wounding and not killing whitetails and antelope here stateside. Not a big enough wound channel. Add to that the issue of getting the .228 bullets used, and it's not worth the effort.

Another .228 to be avoided is one I passed on at the Poulin auction Saturday - the 5.6x61 Vom Hofe Express. This has most of the vices of the .22 Savage HP - .228 bullets, poor wound channel, etc. plus some of its own. It operates at insane pressures and kicks brutally to drive 70-80 grain bullets over 3500 fps. It's notorious for blowing up rifles, too.

nj gsp
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:17 pm  Reply with quote

25-06

The best kept secret of the rifle world, and those who know, know. Spend some time reading up on it, and the parallels to the 16 gauge are there.
ROMAC
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:40 pm  Reply with quote

I rethought my original answer. My first response was the .257 Roberts, after pontificating on it a while I've decided to change my answer to .300 Savage.

Like the 16 does just about everything the 12 does, the .300 Savage does just about everything the 30-06 does and everything the .308 does. Like the 16, its popularity waned after the war years but has a dedicated following of those who know better and like to use classic guns to enrich the experience.

I go bear hunting most years up in NE PA and am the only person who uses a Savage 99 in .300 Savage out of about a dozen guys. I get a lot of nods and more than once have had someone my age ask if he can show it to his son, who never heard of it. I laugh when they think it is some new magnum or a wildcat.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:49 pm  Reply with quote

16GA m12 & 30/40 WIN 95 WILL BE MY LAST 2 GUNS !!

nj gsp
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:22 pm  Reply with quote

My first deer rifle was a 30-30 which I wished I still had, but many many years ago sold it to buy an Old Model (3 screw) Ruger Single Six Convertible (.22/.22 WMR). I would imagine more deer have been killed with a 30-30 than anything else over the years.

That’s why I wouldn’t compare the 30-30 to the 16 gauge. It’s still one of the most popular deer rifle calibers of all time. Every box of 30-30 ammo hitting the shelves these days during this ammo shortage gets gone so fast it’s crazy.

I don’t have many rifles, what I do have is a 44 Mag lever gun, 30-06 Mauser, .270 pump, more than a few 22’s, and a few black powder guns in 50 and 36 cal.

And if I hunted big game like I used to, I’d still want a 25-06. Something about it appeals to me, much like the 16 gauge, and it’s hard for me to say exactly why.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:01 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
A Savage Model 99 in .22 Savage High Power

Ok, where did you come up with that, researcher??

There’s a Model 99 22 Savage Hi Power in the cabinet here next to the 16 ga irons, ready to go but I can’t imagine using it for anything larger than javalina. No unitary .228 bullets anywhere to my knowledge to make it really useful.

This particular 22 Hi Power prominently rests in a place of high honor in the house as the rifle owned and used by my father USMC WWII Iwo Jima vet, Expert qualified in every weapon in the USMC inventory 1942 Camp Lejeune OCS under the tutelage of USMC immortal Lew Walt, to drop a pheasant in flight with one shot offhand at 200 yds in Dickey County ND 1949 as testified by two witnesses. No, it was not a fluke and might be expected from a US Marine whose rifle qualification required 600 yd open sight softball sized target hits.

Be that as it may, the most recent use of said 22 Savage Hi Power was against a phone book in a penetration demonstration. And lacking a unitary bullet I would hesitate to use it on anything more significant than one of our calf thieving Western Washington coyotes.

B.
707PS
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:29 am  Reply with quote

Oh well, might as well get in on this deal! 6x55 Swed with a Winchester pre 64
Model 70 featherweight action.
Sporting Days
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:26 am  Reply with quote

The Model 99 .300 Savage is a GREAT call! I was in a local gunshop the other day here in Northern California and saw about six of these sitting in the used gun rack. We used to see a ton of old 16 gauges sitting on the used racks, but not so much any more as many of those are finding new homes with a mild resurgence in 16 gauge interest and more shell availability, including new nontoxics that are friendly in the old guns.

There is no commercially available nontoxic loads made for the .300 Savage to my knowledge, which has made it somewhat obsolete in California where nontoxic ammo is required for any kind of hunting. I've still got my grandfather's 99 in the safe and always look for opportunities to take it out target shooting -- or on out-of-state hunts where lead is OK.
Bill K
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:19 am  Reply with quote

.270 Winchester.

Ideally chambered in a Winchester model 70 Featherweight.

Browning Citori Upland 16 GA circa 2014
Darne R10 1962
Browning Sweet Sixteen 16 GA circa 1957
Savage Fox Sterlingworth 16 GA circa 1934