16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Would you say 7 lb.s is too heavy for a 16ga O/U grouse gun?
putz463
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:34 am  Reply with quote

fin2feather wrote:
Don't worry about a few ounces; concentrate on how the gun feels to you.

Now, that single trigger thing... Evil or Very Mad

Agreed, I've added some lead to my Citori Upland to slow it down a little since I use it for most target games with the exception of Trap and it carries fine chasing birdies and bunny's.

Ditto, that ST thing....

zoli 16ga.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:25 pm  Reply with quote

yes.
might as well buy a light twelve.

If shooting at the range....then .no.

old colonel
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:53 pm  Reply with quote

For me, Any 16 that heavy may as well be a 12.

That said, in the end it is what fits and suits you best.

8mmFan
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:42 pm  Reply with quote

I was at Daane's Ace Hardware in Oostburg today. They have the ***20 gauge*** (ouch, hurts to type it) Franchi SL in stock, as well as the 16 ga White Lightning with the 26" barrels. No 16ga Franchi SL in stock.

So just for fun I picked up and handled the 20 ga SL. It was dynamite: feels great, light as a feather, and my eye looks perfectly down the barrel--all I see is a bead.

Then I walked over to the 16ga White Lightning. It felt like I picked up a 43" 2x4. It wasn't fair to pick up a 16 after a 20, but still...

They're both around $1400 there. I made myself walk out before I bought the Franchi. I'm going to check out the 16ga SL before I make up my mind about anything.

Thanks for all the advice.

8mmFan
16'er
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:16 am  Reply with quote

The Franchi 20ga SL with 3/4oz loads is one sweet overbored 28ga! I bought one last summer before the 16 was announced. Apparently the 16 is made in a different factory than the 12 and 20? Read that some where I believe.

My twenty was very difficult to open and close when new. Better now but still stiff. I’d like to handle one in sixteen sometime.
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:58 am  Reply with quote

8mmFan wrote:

Then I walked over to the 16ga White Lightning. It felt like I picked up a 43" 2x4. It wasn't fair to pick up a 16 after a 20, but still...

8mmFan

Many times, after the shooting has started, those 2x4's tend to rise to the top.

Just sayin!

Last edited by double vision on Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:59 am  Reply with quote

Plus 1000 Mr. Erickson........there maybe exceptions, but darn few.

Dannyboy175
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:20 am  Reply with quote

If you limited to just one gun, then 16 is a good choice, but it shouldn't be too short or light if you are going to use it for waterfowl or turkey.

While not disputing the all around greatness of the 16 gauge, I don't like being a one trick pony. I find that a 20 gauge is plenty for grouse and 28 gauge a fine choice as well. And, I think it makes sense to go up or down in weight of the gun relative to the gauge.

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:52 am  Reply with quote

If Grouse is your game you'll never regret the light gun. Not because it's fast but because all the super thick cover. There are a lot of times when you hold it with one hand by the grip out in front of you as your parting the sea's of brush and maneuvering through spots rabbits can't go. My woodcock and grouse covers don't have nice open woods and roads to walk down. In the target game weight doesn't hurt you in the grouse cover if you are hunting hard and chasing dogs the light gun is easier to maneuver and more importantly keep at the ready in front of you. A heaver gun I tend to lay across my arm or carry one handed at my side from time to time for a break. All that is easily doable with a 7lb Citori but it's a pleasure with a 6lb Fox. Sorry had to stir the pot a little. I always bust my shooting buddies balls when I shoot their 9lb Kreighoff's. I ask them how do you shoot this piece of concrete? How can you possibly mount that gun before the target is gone. They don't that's how they all shoot gun up.
8mmFan
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:51 pm  Reply with quote

And, with that... I bought this little puppy instead of the Citori 16.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/768667270

I have a 12 ga Model 24 that I love shooting trap with. I saw this Model 24 with 26" barrels and Improved/Mod chokes. Two triggers, chokes will be fine for grouse, and it's got a little more history than a brand new Citori. Also probably weighs the same or less. I know: totally different gun.

And I'm going to pick up the Franchi SL 20 tomorrow.

THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR INSIGHTS, guys! That was a fun thread!

8mmFan
8mmFan
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:11 pm  Reply with quote

And yes, I get it: I overpaid for the M24. But I wanted it with 26" barrels and not a mod/full choke. First one I've seen that way in quite a while so I grabbed it.

And I know if I don't like it I can probably dump it on some poor slob with the incurable 16'r sickness. :-)

8mmFan
Brewster11
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
Any opinions on whether that's too heavy for a ruffed grouse getter?

A loaded 12 ga Model 12 approaching 9 lbs with a custom oversize linseed-soaked Herters Grand Deluxe American Walnut stock makes an OUTSTANDING grouse gun and a delight to carry from sunrise to dark in tag alder swamps and 3 year old aspen clearcuts. but only if you are 21 years old, 155 lbs wrestling trim and can live on what you carry into the woods on your motorcycle.

Otherwise if it is 45 years later, then no gun can really be light enough for an easy afternoon stroll for grouse down gated logging roads.

B.
canvasback
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

First, to answer the question.....yes.

However I have a White Lightning with 26” barrels. Weighs 6 pounds 11 oz. my heaviest 16 gauge. But I shoot it well and I think the weight is part of that.

I won’t be buying a heavier 16 (I don’t think) but I don’t place that much importance on weight. How it carries, feels in my hand, how it comes up and how it fits. That’s what I’m looking for.

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
Newtonian_Guy
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:30 pm  Reply with quote

Location: The Great Rustbelt, otherwise known as Northeastern Ohio

In a word.......yes.

My Franchi Falconet 12 bore from the mid-seventies comes in at 6 pounds even on my bathroom scale. I shoot no more than 1 1/8 oz. of shot for Pheasants and 1 oz. for Chukars.

It is light, swings fairly well, and has the long range punch for late season ringnecks.

But is is still a 12 bore.

When I get my Ithaca NID and Fox Sterlingworth in, I will weigh them. But from handling examples of the breed, they feel much better between the hands than the O/U.

You MUST find what fits you FIRST! If it don't fit; it don't shoot! Then worry about weight. Unless you are in your 6th decade like me, weight should not be a problem.

Find what fits and you like and shoot the heck out of it.

Zavasta M75 16 Bore
Ithaca NID 16 Bore
Fox Sterlingworth 16 Bore
Franchi Falconet O/U 12 Bore
2 Antonio Zoli Field Grade 12 Bore
Ithaca Model 100 12 Bore
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:45 am  Reply with quote

used to be fine carrying my SX1 skeet gun for grouse - did well . now , am daily trying to figure out hot to get my LT20 1100 down to like 3 #'s for that sort of thing . Was a mtn goat back then , slow slug now ! No gun was ever made too light . If my 16ga caplock wasn't such a PITA to carry extra loads and reload ,, I'd use that ! 33'' barrel and about 5#'s .