16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Looking for a mec progressive 16
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:19 am  Reply with quote

byrdog -- Please read the first sentence or two of my post, and maybe you will understand. $309.56 is simply the retail price of the parts from MEC to do a gauge conversion on a Grabber or a 9000. It is not a price comparison -- it is simply some reference info for a person considering such a conversion. It has nothing to do with a Sizemaster.

If you would please read the thread from the start, you'll find Timn is selling his Sizemaster, and wants a progressive 16 gauge reloader so he can reload more shells in less time. So I doubt price info on the Sizemaster is relevant or helpful to him.

Cheers!
Tony

Last edited by MaximumSmoke on Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:44 am  Reply with quote

By the way, Timn -- Unless you are a good MEC fiddler, and if you want a 16 right away and can't stand the long wait you might experience to find a suitable used 16 gauge progressive, I do recommend buying a new Grabber; you will load as fast with that as with the 9000 or any other progressive of any brand, and you will not have the joy of discovering problems that can be present on used stuff.

I have often (not always) bought and fiddled with old MEC stuff because there is plenty of it out there, they hardly ever wear out, parts are fairly cheap and "backward compatible" - especially with the single-stage ones. Even old crusty abused ones can be brought back to function well. However, even a master MEC fiddler, such as I admit am, gets burned occasionally on an optimistic overhaul or conversion dream. If time is important to you, it might not be well spent in the conversion adventure. Then again, you could have my mindset, and consider it entertaining and enjoyable, with an occasional small parts cost downside fairly tolerable and part of your education. But if you just want to load shells efficiently, buying a new one makes sense.

Wishing You the Best of Luck in Your Choice,
Tony
byrdog
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:24 am  Reply with quote

NONE of that was clear to me when I first read it and none of it is clear to me now.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
vandie9684
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:43 pm  Reply with quote

I have a 9000H with pump hulls wads extra bars, bottles and mulyiple poeder bushings for $500 and buyer pays the freight from Louisiana

call 318-582-9929 or email mavanderkarr1@gmail.com
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:09 am  Reply with quote

It sounds like a good deal, Vandie, but what gauge and what age (new large capacity plastic primer tray)?
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:50 pm  Reply with quote

Timn -- Found a nice MEC 9000 16 gauge for you. Check your PM; I sent you the details. You won't find a Grabber for this price, and you can always de-activate the auto-rotate of the 9000 if you need to "get used to it" for a while as a manual-advance progressive, same as the Grabber is. Many do that. Later, I think you'll be glad you got the auto-advance capability.

Cheers!
Tony